[QUOTE=waterman46;2196985]The syringe is a great idea - I already have some I use for loading printer ink.
One part cement? Maybe I don't use the right prep or whatever, but I can peel off the patch, after letting it cure a few days, if I use the one part cement. OK for small holes but I need to patch up a 3" cut.
That 3" cut was my own doing. I followed instructions for replacing a valve, where one of the ideas on the Polymarine site is to cut a 3" slit in the tube near the valve and remove it that way. Turns out its a super stupid idea. Instead, you can just cut about 1/2" radially on each side of the valve itself, and pull the old valve out through that. It's easy to repair the small 1/2" cut by making a circular patch, with a hole cut in the center for the valve to pass through.[/QUOTE
As I also had a problem with the one part adhesive
sticking and adhering after "curing" I kinda tossed it too. However, while surfing the net, I ran across a hypalon boat building video and found it very enlightening. As these guys do it for a living, thought their process should be considered. Interestingly, they use a single
part adhesive too. Things I found as to why I couldn't get it to work.
1. Are you working with hypalon or PVC - they are not the same and require
2. It is absolutely mandatory that you rough both the area to be patched and
the down side of the patch thoroughly
3. Wipe the patch and the area with alcohol or MEK to clean after roughing
4. Apply a light coat of adhesive to both patch and patch area and let dry to
tacky prior to attempting to bond.
5. Roll out all bubbles thoroughly making sure edges are firm
6. Let sit 24 to 48 hours (this is the hard part) before airing to test bonding
Yes, it will work and buying
the right bonding adhesive (be it 1 or 2 part), knowing you have the right material and doing it yourself sure saves a lot of monies. I had a couple of dingies repaired professionally or should I say attempted as it cost $300 for one and the other delaminated so they said it was beyond repair (actually they felt it was to much work for the value of the boat). The one the did repair, they put a patch (unneeded) on a tube seam that did not leak in the first place and avoid repair to the hole I had pointed out - unfortunately I didn't test it until I travel across country in my RV and threw it on a small lake to go fishing
- again my error. Learning
from ones mistakes
is a valuable tool - especially when we can benefit from the www for research
. I ordered a hypalon kit on line for $25 fix my own and am now a happy camper. Hope this helps you with your dilemma. Bruce V