Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2011, 11:59   #1
Marine Service Provider

Lock Recommendation for the Dink

Any recommendations on a good padlock that actually stands up in the marine environment?

So far I've tried Masterlock's so called weatherproof locks, and mini U locks. Even with rinsing and lubrication, I don't seem to get more than a few months out of any of them.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 12:31   #2

Boat: 33ft sloop
Re: Lock recommendation fo the dink

Try Abus, Polyethylene covered.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 13:25   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I just use a cheap combination lock. No keys to carry ashore. They last as long as any other locks. I had a Master (one of those that locked the engine )that turned into a lump of rust. There is no need for a good lock. Bolt cutters work on most. I think the idea of a lock is to deter casual theft or joy riders, professional thieves will take what they want. Locks will not stop them.
Old 13-12-2011, 13:32   #4

You want the big brass combination lock. Forget who makes it. One lasted me 3 years cruising and getting soaked with salt water often. While you're at it, buy one for the companionway and set to the same combination. You will have to spray a little WD40 every now and then, but brass/bronze resists corrosion well and is "slippery" on mating parts inside.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 13:36   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Try Kryptonite they have held up for 4 years and bolt cutter resistant-Even Super man cannot break this one!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 13:44   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I have a small "no name" brass lock on the small dinghy. Works fine, never have to give it a second thought.

Put a nice looking stainless steel lock from the chandler on the big dinghy. Silly thing jams if the smallest particle of sand gets in it. Pain in the neck.

I've tried small brass locks from a major manufacturer and they jam after a few weeks in the weather. Good if they don't get wet!

It probably depends on the type of problem you have in your area. My biggest worry is someone "borrowing" the dinghy and forgetting to return it, or loosing my space in the rack 'cause it could be moved easily. A cheap brass padlock says "mine" just as clearly as a big SS one.

I'd suggest trying a range of padlocks that suit your needs starting with cheap no name brass ones. Some of the stuff originally made for the Chinese domestic market is surprisingly good.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 13:45   #7

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"

I've cut two of those nice Abus combination locks off in the past year. I also had to cut off one of those bar type outboard motor locks - that one was a lot of fun! (And yes, they were on my boat, not the neighbor's).

I think these locks last a long time if you open them every few weeks and little lube wouldn't hurt either. I used them for years when were cruised on weekends and summers without any problem, but when we lived aboard full time the motor stayed on the dinghy for months and the lock would seize up.
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 13:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Try Kryptonite they have held up for 4 years and bolt cutter resistant-Even Super man cannot break this one!

But a ballpoint pen will open it.
Twist a Pen, Open a Lock
Old 13-12-2011, 14:03   #9
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
But a ballpoint pen will open it.
Twist a Pen, Open a Lock
The one I have has a standard key - and is a padlock, i dont think this applys- but that news isa big WOW
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 14:04   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Bolt cutters work on most. I think the idea of a lock is to deter casual theft or joy riders, professional thieves will take what they want. Locks will not stop them.
True! The problem is getting your hands on a pair of bolt cutters, when that lock finally fails, and you really need them. Which is usually late at night, when you're stranded on shore. Of course, it's all about having slightly better security and a slightly shittier dink than your neighbor.
Old 13-12-2011, 14:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
True! The problem is getting your hands on a pair of bolt cutters, when that lock finally fails, and you really need them. Which is usually late at night, when you're stranded on shore. Of course, it's all about having slightly better security and a slightly shittier dink than your neighbor.

Use a cheap lock, usually a couple of taps from a hammer will open it. I use a cheap brass lock on my companionway hatch on my CS36M. Better the lock comes apart than a thief breaking my expensive companionway hatch boards.
Old 13-12-2011, 14:14   #12
Marine Service Provider

The door in my companionway has a perko lock built right into it, but around here you're pretty safe at anchor. On shore, on the other hand, they'll take a used diaper if it isn't bolted down. I actually caught someone stepping onto my dink at night, and mine is a WB that doesn't even have a motor on it right now.
Old 13-12-2011, 19:18   #13

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The one I have has a standard key - and is a padlock, i dont think this applys- but that news isa big WOW
I think that news is just a tad out of date. Like, 2004.
I believe Kryptonite fixed this problem long ago.
Old 13-12-2011, 19:32   #14

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You want the big brass combination lock. Forget who makes it. One lasted me 3 years cruising and getting soaked with salt water often. While you're at it, buy one for the companionway and set to the same combination. You will have to spray a little WD40 every now and then, but brass/bronze resists corrosion well and is "slippery" on mating parts inside.
I think its the Sesamee lock--WMP used to carry it, but have switched to the Master locks. The Master brass lock is total crap-had to cut one off my dinghy after 2 weeks-- while the other brand lasts 5-10 years (with a lot of WD-40).
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 19:43   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Better the lock comes apart than a thief breaking my expensive companionway hatch boards.
My theory exactly! Except that it doesn't work.

Years ago, Wonderblond had a Triumph Spitfire. I disabled the door locks and changed out the gearshift knob for something cheap, explaining that it's better just to let the thief have a free knob than to have him slit our $2,000 top.

So, with the doors unlocked and a $1.59 knob on the shifter, a thief cut through our roof anyway to steal the knob.