Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29   #1

Livingston 12 as a tender?

I'm thinking about getting one of these LV12 | Livingston Power Catamaran Skiff Boats | Livingston Boats to ride on the bow of my Hatteras.

My thinking is that it's more durable, cheaper, and tougher than a RIB with a lot more room than one of the same length. I've got a crane to handle it, so I should be OK weight wise and it's lighter than an equivalent whaler.

Thinking about having them rig it up with one of their low profile consoles and a seat so you can sit in the middle of the boat while you skitter around with the laundry. Not planning to tow it much if at all, and would rig a pair of towing eyes to the two bows if I did.

Am I an idiot? If so, why?

Second question: Has anyone put a swim ladder on one of these? Where did it go?
H Romberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42   #2

Re: Livingston 12 as a tender?

If you are going to go with a hard dingy the Livingston is the most stable you can get really. Powerboaters have loved them for many years. I find them very uncomfortable to ride in as you have to squeeze your feet into one of the sides and sit on the center tunnel. Sitting on the center tunnel makes it hard to reach the outboard handle in the center behind you. RIB's are not fragile, will last many years or a decade or two and wont ding your boat up either. They are drier when planing though chop also and you can board them from in the water and not break a rib. The RIB has more room than they look like because most people sit on the tubes except in real rough weather.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:49   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I used one on charter about ten years ago. Stable, but quite heavy. Too heavy for a sailboat, really. A RIB is a far better choice unless you're a powerboat.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you are going to go with a hard dingy the Livingston is the most stable you can get really. Powerboaters have loved them for many years. I find them very uncomfortable to ride in as you have to squeeze your feet into one of the sides and sit on the center tunnel. Sitting on the center tunnel makes it hard to reach the outboard handle in the center behind you. RIB's are not fragile, will last many years or a decade or two and wont ding your boat up either. They are drier when planing though chop also and you can board them from in the water and not break a rib. The RIB has more room than they look like because most people sit on the tubes except in real rough weather.
You're right about the up sides of RIBs. I have one on my sailboat (AB 10 with a 15hp Merc) It's been great but I keep doing things to it that require patching. :-)

I figure if I do the 12 I'll definitely put a boarding ladder on it, probably over the bow somehow....... And from the youtube vids, you're not lying about the wet ride.

As for reaching the OB, I'm having them install a little console just in front of the seat on the tunnel with steering and throttle. I figure it'll be something akin to an oversized jet ski with the 20 horse. :-)
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

used a 10 ft for awhile--the 12 will probably be good for a power boat--is heavy as sin, but ye have lifting cranes and such on those, so isnt a big deal. very stable dink
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
used a 10 ft for awhile--the 12 will probably be good for a power boat--is heavy as sin, but ye have lifting cranes and such on those, so isnt a big deal. very stable dink
It's actually a featherweight for a hard shell power dink. A whaler would weigh almost twice as much. You're right though. It is a bunch of weight up high and far forward. Guess I won't have to use my trim tabs much....
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36   #7

I too looked at the Livingstons - good crafts, but odd to ride in if your a big guy like me (6ft 4in tall ).

Went with a Gig Harbor Navigator

Test a few out before u buy!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:12   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We have been using a small Livingston for a couple of years now and we really like it. Ours travels on its side on the swim platform. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
We have been using a small Livingston for a couple of years now and we really like it. Ours travels on its side on the swim platform. Chuck
What size did you go with? I've been flip flopping between the 10 and the 12.

What motor do you run?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:27   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Romberg View Post
What size did you go with? I've been flip flopping between the 10 and the 12.

What motor do you run?
Our trawler is only 34 feet and has a teak swim platform so we went smaller. It's an 8 foot with a 6 HP Johnson OB. Here is some info, The Trawler Beach House: A New Dinghy And A Big Change . Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:32   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have the 8 footer with a 6hp 4stroke. the thing can easily get me up on a plane. Having a center cockpit boat leaves little room on the fordeck for storage, hence the 8 ft. size. Great boats though and cheap to find used.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender