Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-07-2016, 19:40   #1

Lightweight/stable dinghy

I'm sorting through dinghy choices for a lightweight boat I can hoist onto the foredeck singlehandedly with a halyard. I like the Walker Bay a lot and I think that would work fine when I am sailing solo however there will be the occasion where I need to get my bride from shore to the boat and iw orry it's too tippy or is a bit light on capacity. I would also like a degree of stability if I am anchored way out on a choppy day or putting up on a shell covered beach.

Any other makes/models people like that weigh in at less than 90 pounds without the motor and can haul 450 pounds without fuss? I have a bad shoulder and no davits which makes the weight more of a consideration than it might otherwise need to be. Thanks!

Jaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 20:42   #2

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Lightweight/stable dinghy

If you do some searches you'll find tons of threads about dinghies & even more opinions. No matter what you pick it'll be a compromise.

Old 11-07-2016, 20:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Aluminium floor 9 ft RIB like an AB
Old 12-07-2016, 08:41   #4

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

8' Livingston Dink. Very stable and planes. You can find them used $200-$400.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:06   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would go with a single floor RIB. Whatever length you can accommodate.I've used a small hard dingy and they can be a bit scary in chop for sure, even with only 2 people in them :
-RIB is super stable for it's size in the water.
-On the foredeck, I cracked a rib or two on the bottom of the hard dingy in rough water. The RIB will be soft.
-You can also deflate the RIB 80% and it will take up less room.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:25   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

You haven't said what boat you need to put the dinghy up onto, nor how you would hoist it. Or for what cruising conditions you are planing.

For stability and carrying capacity it is hard to beat an inflatable. For convenience and light weight you might consider a high pressure air-floor model. They track better than flat floor types but are lighter than a rib and can fully deflate for stowage.

S/V B'Shert
Old 12-07-2016, 10:27   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Self-built 44' steel trawler

If you like the Walker Bay, consider it with the optional flotation collar - it's a non-planing but very light and very stable combination.
Old 13-07-2016, 20:23   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Will you be hoisting the dinghy onto the foredeck of your Mariner or is this intended for some other boat? The Mariner only has about a six foot foredeck, if that.
Old 14-07-2016, 06:45   #9

Boat: Scout 30

The reality of dinghy & outboard weight can't be fully realized till you have to deal with it on the water. If you plan to muscle your outboard on & off your dinghy without a davit I'd recommend the Honda 2 hp motor. We've had one for many years & it'll get you where you need to go as long as your not in a hurry. We coupled that with an Avon 3.4 with the inflatable floor. At over 11' it's very safe & stable & it weighs about 65 pounds. And since you can deflate this & roll it up quite easily you can get away with a bigger inflatable. It also tows quite well but I never leave the outboard on & never tow offshore. Just don't expect it, or any inflatable, to row "well" no matter what you hear although it can be rowed if you're not fighting the wind or a current. That's why we got a Bauer 10 which is a great boat for rowing & sailing but we have to tow it.
In my opinion the only reason to go with a RIB is speed which means a big outboard. Nothing wrong with that but they're heavier, can't be rolled up & you have to have a mechanical means of lifting the outboard. We don't really care about going fast so if we add davits it'll be to lift the Bauer. I do strongly recommend going with hypalon if you go the inflatable route. It's a little heavier & more expensive but it's much more UV & abrasion resistant.

Tags
dinghy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: