Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 15:36   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Lifting dinghy to cabin roof

My sailboat - a Tashiba-31 - did not come with a dinghy, so I'm in the process of deciding what to get. The one thing I'm not visualizing is how to manhandle the dinghy onboard! My boat has a considerable freeboard.

Are there any advice/videos out there that show how this is done?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 15:51   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Lifting dinghy to cabin roof

Hmm, which dinghy were you thinking of? Sure you have room up there for one? Do you have a gallows? Boom vang and dorade and skylight hatch may be hard to get around too, no? Perhaps davits instead?
If not then lots of folks lift theirs with topping lift or main halyard run to a winch.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 16:07   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

dmksails, I use one of these attached to my staysail halyard. Easier with someone holding the dinghy clear of the lifelines but I can do it solo.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...ling--10294155

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 16:17   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

My dinghy is on the foredeck so use the spinnaker pole and a four part tackle to hoist the dinghy aboard solo. For the cabin top, the main boom will do the same thing. The problem with using a halyard is the boat will bang against the hull as you hoist it because you are pulling from the middle of the boat not vertically over the dinghy in the water and then swing it inboard..

Can bring the 8' dinghy aboard without the pole and tackle but it's very unwieldy and scratching up the topsides, deck and dinghy a possibility.

Whatever way you go, it's way easier if you aren't working alone.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 16:43   #5

Any halyard will work. Preferably the spinnaker halyard in front. The hard part is turning the dingy over once above the deck... and the mud and tiny barnacles on the dingy scratching your boat up.
With the right length pole like Rover says could be nice, I never could figure out how to move the dink in and out using a pole though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 00:27   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Any halyard will work. Preferably the spinnaker halyard in front. The hard part is turning the dingy over once above the deck... and the mud and tiny barnacles on the dingy scratching your boat up.
With the right length pole like Rover says could be nice, I never could figure out how to move the dink in and out using a pole though.
While we don't do it that way, using the pole and a tackle from its end is workable. You move the dink inboard by using the topping lift to raise the outboard end of the pole skyward. This brings it neatly into reach, then you ease the tackle to lower the dink onto the deck.

Jim
Old 02-09-2016, 08:09   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my 8 ft walker bay was easy to lift onto bow. i traded for a 10--not so easy and i had to muscle the bitch onto deck from a dock. oops. not what i had in mind but the extra room in dink for provisions and mebbe people is a blessing, and it gets across strong currents when being rowed much better than the 8 f t did.. i think i want davits
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:29   #8

Ever consider a Porta Bote? They can be readily towed behind and easily lifted aboard with help from main or foresail winching if need be (usually weigh less than 90# and can be manhandled too). The nice thing is they can be stored along side the life lines (only takes up 4 inches of width) and locked to the stantions to avoid loss or theft.
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:40   #9

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

We have a 12 foot, plywood nesting dinghy we keep on our foredeck. We assemble or disassemble athwartship resting, and it is terrible, on the lifelines, we usually use our staysl halyard, but if we are really worn out, we use the aforementioned halyard and the main. We often use the two halyard system to just leave " Mint Berry Crunch", our dinghy, hanging outboard at night when we think the outboard or entire boat might disappear in the night. We are old though and weak as kittens.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:47   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

davits are sinfully easy, but then you have a big kite blob hanging off your rear end... ah trade-offs.. and so I settled on the inflatable kayak for my own little boat... the family thinks its great, I just have to be sure they never get a taste of a RIB with a 15hp on it.. they'll never ride with me again.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:19   #11

A 31 is hardly big enuff to carry a dink in davits thwartships off the transom. Trentepieds is high forward and has a high house. So how do you get the dink up'n'over the lifelines without doing damage as you manhandle 85 lbs? MyBeloved certainly doesn't have the muscular strength to do that!

Jim Cate has said it: A pole if you are gonna stow the dink on the foredeck. It'd do double duty as a whisker. TrentePieds doesn't lend herself to that. Housetop would be fine and there is clearance under the boom, but a PO has buggered up the utility of 'er by fitting a mast furling main c/w a STANDING topping lift and fitting the sheet-horse just where the dink would have to go. Not to mention the vang. Vang on a 30-footer with mast furling and overdimensioned spars???. Daft in an under-canvassed cruising boat, "permanently reefed", in the Salish Sea.

Never confuse, or let others confuse you about, the requirements of a cruising boat as opposed to those of a racing boat!

The answer is a running topping lift, and tackles that can be slung from the boom when hoisting is necessary. Whether it's the dink or other "cargo". Set it up right, and you can even flip the dink upside down while she's still on the tackles.

But "on the house" would be for heavy weather only, since it'd play hob with forward visibility. In these benign waters, and me being only a fair-weather sailor, the answer is to tow the dink. Except when it comes on to blow :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 21:16   #12

How often do you guys actually use the dingy? Do you go to the store then get back on board and think "Dammit I forgot the ....?" I got an 8 foot inflatable and I made a light weight wood floor covered so not to put a hole in the inflatable that I lay in it and an electric air pump,
thericksster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:53   #13

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

I always used my spinnaker pole and spinnaker halyard with a foreguy and after-guy to control the position of the pole as I swung the dinghy over the foredeck. Works fine.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:12   #14

Boat: Douglas 32

A cheap 8 foot inflatable weighs about 40 lbs. My 10 foot wood dinghy weighs 50 lbs for the stern half, and 35 lbs for the bow. The 3.5 hp outboard weighs 50 lbs. I lift each section aboard using a halyard, tied to the bow. I can fend it off as I lift it vertically above the lifelines, but is easier with two people.

See the Danny Greene nesting dinghy thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hy-156370.html
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, dinghy, lift