Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-01-2013, 22:43   #16

Boat: Dufour35 1982
Re: Liferaft expiry date?

Pete 7 what is the diference between the offshore and ISO version? Apart from a significant jump in price.

Peter sounds like you got a deal. When you buy a used raft do youhave them inspected inflated?

Old 29-01-2013, 09:06   #17

Just tried to buy one in the UK, they will not ship!!!!!!!

Dam it sounded much better than I hadfound this side of the pound and the price was very pleasing. Also the raft being made in the UK and not outsourced to some less controled environment was a bigy.

Old 29-01-2013, 09:21   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"they will not ship!!!!!!!"
And did they tell you why?
Old 29-01-2013, 09:35   #19

Ya something to do with "dangerous cargo" going bang over the Atlantic. I don't know the young of today lol. Sad seemed like a great product at a great price. Real strange things boating always seem to be twice as much at that side of the pond
Old 29-01-2013, 09:42   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Ya something to do with "dangerous cargo" going bang over the Atlantic."
Life rafts are normally shipped by HazMat, and HazMat by air usually isn't going to happen.
If you're going to wander about the Global Village, you need to know the rules. The raft can be shipped to you, the vendor either doesn't know how or doesn't want to waste the resources making it happen.
Old 29-01-2013, 09:50   #21

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

Does the shipping across the Atlantic have to do with air shipment? I've had "hazardous" material shipped to Puerto Rico as long as it comes by surface transport (ship), There's a bunch of extra paperwork and that raises the cost but it can be done. I suspect that the shipping issues have to do with the compressed gas cylinders for inflation and the flares. Shipping flares is a really big one.

I wonder if there are any import/export agents in England who might be willing to take on the shipping issue?
Old 29-01-2013, 10:00   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Yep!
FedEx or UPS will not even ship them locally unless the CO2 bottle has been removed and drained. As well the flairs have to be taken out. Unless you ship it HazMat then there is a lot of forms to fill out along with a big fee.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 10:05   #23

Yip the flares and compressed gas would do it. Having said that every aircraft flying the atlantic has compressed air cylinders and flares on board. A brand new product one would imagine would not be a problem.

I could have it sent to my old climbing buddy who lives in the UK and then sent on, but what the hell.
Old 29-01-2013, 18:46   #24

Seems great anyone sell them this side of the Pond?
Old 29-01-2013, 18:54   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Ya something to do with "dangerous cargo" going bang over the Atlantic."
Life rafts are normally shipped by HazMat, and HazMat by air usually isn't going to happen.

If you're going to wander about the Global Village, you need to know the rules. The raft can be shipped to you, the vendor either doesn't know how or doesn't want to waste the resources making it happen.
Must be great to be so wise! :-) The web site offered shipment and a price to Canada. Being fully aware of the Hazmat restrictions I contacted them. (too good to be true rule) and they can not be fussed with paper work. My Canadian $ will go elsewhere.
Old 29-01-2013, 18:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_E View Post
Does the shipping across the Atlantic have to do with air shipment? I've had "hazardous" material shipped to Puerto Rico as long as it comes by surface transport (ship), There's a bunch of extra paperwork and that raises the cost but it can be done. I suspect that the shipping issues have to do with the compressed gas cylinders for inflation and the flares. Shipping flares is a really big one.

I wonder if there are any import/export agents in England who might be willing to take on the shipping issue?
Must be, maybe I will get help from my mate over there. Maybe he can arrange a safe method of delivery.
Old 29-01-2013, 19:08   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If it is your first rodeo, it pays to ask some questions about bulls. Or in this case, you seem to keep having problems because you don't know about shipping rules, but you keep asking strangers on the internet to ship things to you. Across international borders.

You can't assume folks know what they are doing, just because they have a web site. Odds are the UK chandlery you contacted bought a cheap "online store" web package, and the package doesn't take hazmat into account. We had the same problem in the US 10-15 years ago, when many web commerce packages could not deal with simple shipping weights and charges or sale tax venues. Fifty states and many of them have 50-100 different sales tax rates varying by county and/or postal code...plenty of room for problems.

Hell, we had truck dispatch and loading software routing trucks onto restricted access (no commercial traffic) highways and making multiple toll crossings without accounting for the toll costs. Just because someone sticks something on a computer, doesn't mean it works right. Garmin and Google Earth still get things wrong, and Apple Maps...well, they've set a new standard for hoof in mouth.

Usually when you go looking for the cheapest source, you're going to find people who just don't have experience. And then if you are very lucky, they will still step up and do the right thing. More often, they simply drop the ball.

Any chandler in the UK could ask Seago (who are UK-domestic) to supply a raft without the gas bottle and flares. Or, they could volunteer to remove them, although since they are not repack agents that would void your warranty so they might not want to get involved in that. But you could also ask Seago about supplying a raft without the gas and flares, with an empty gas bottle supplied.

Of course, there are apparently no authorized repack agents outside the UK, so even if you got what you wish for, you might find a problem three year from now: No one else will repack it.
Old 29-01-2013, 19:57   #28

Some good advice in the middle of all that HS.

Worlds full of rules ain't it! I was brought up in an old world country were finding ways around rules was woven into the national fabric for 600 years. So been to many rodeos in several nations. Same but different.

Back on subject:-) Having a raft repacked is no problem over here. (I got contacts) Having one shipped one way or another probable no problem as well. The Vancouver company with the good deal on WM/Zodiac wrote back saying they did not understand the regs. Honest! Sounds like their rafts have between 3 and 5 years left, will have to be repacked since the flairs etc are well expired. No saving at all over a new one. Absolutely no warranty.

So the search goes on. One of the great things about these forums is that it brings a great deal of life experiences together. About 12 years ago when I was getting my boat ready for an Atlantic Journey it was much easier. Not as many rules, or maybe I got around them more easily lol.
Old 29-01-2013, 21:23   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, between repacks and "rules" and everything else, it almost seems like a sailor would be better off buying two cheap life rafts (uninspected, old, whatever) and then every couple of years, buying another one in the belief that if you throw enough stuff against the wall, some of it will stick. That is, at least one of them will inflate. The industry makes such a fuss out of inspections and aging that one really has to ask, if the folks who make the rafts have any faith in them at all. Apparently not for any length of time, and that should be embarrassing to all of them.
Or they could treat rafts the same way we treat CNG cylinders in the US: You don't buy them you swap 'em for newly filled ones. It might make more sense to pay so many dollars for a raft, just like a car lease, and swap it out every year or two. No waiting for inspections, no worry about age, just keep on swapping them out.
Old 30-01-2013, 00:05   #30

Yip I would go for that. Rent as you need. For many years I have told my self that I am in a lifeboat. Lifeboats do not have liferafts. Having said that you never know. Keep looking and something will turn up.:-)

Tags
liferaft

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: