Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2019, 00:09   #136

Re: Lehr Propane Outboards

I inherited a 5hp with my monohull.

A larger Tohatsu we have couldn't be pull started by my girlfriend. So, we used the Lehr all summer. It worked well. None of those carb problems everything else has. The little disposable propane cylinders were what we used for the summer and it was ridiculously expensive. But, it served its purpose.

I thought we had a great little kicker in the Lehr 5hp, until it came time to put away the dinghy for the season a few weeks ago.

The motor had been on for 4 months. Tohatsu has been on for years at a time between removing it from the transom. Well, the Lehr fused together due to corrosion. 4 months on the transom and you couldn't spin the handles that are supposed to rotate the bolts that clamp it to the transom. I used penetrating oils, time, tapping, heat, you name it.

Ok, I decided to get more leverage.

I put a pipe on the handle to spin it. Predictably, the handle broke off the bolt. It's just cheap plastic on these after all. It wasn't as weak as I thought because it actually twisted the bolt!! The bolt didn't budge, but the metal of the bolt twisted like wringing out a rag! I put some vice grips on to replace the handle. The bolt just twisted like a piece of pasta!!! Never once budging to release the motor from the transom!

Eventually I gave up. I had to take a pair of bolt cutters and just cut the thing off my dinghy.

Couldn't believe how the dissimilar metals welded together or how cheap the clamping bolts are that they'd twist like pasta.

The motor itself ran great. Never a single issue other than the small propane tanks running out mid channel at night every single time. But always started right up and 90lbs girlfriend could pull start it too. But the hardware was not up to par.

Still may keep it though.

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:14   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Iím afraid I donít know what is going on with them. I havenít had any contact with them since I retired. Their last Facebook post was in February 2018. I suspect they are at least temporarily out of business. Maybe someone will buy the assets and revive the company.
HopCar,
Thanks for the sincere assessment. I thought the concept was great and we could be free of gasoline while we traveled. It is still a good concept and some day it might become a dependable dingy engine. Or, as you said, an excellent aux for small sailboats.

KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:27   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

The motor had been on for 4 months. Tohatsu has been on for years at a time between removing it from the transom. Well, the Lehr fused together due to corrosion. 4 months on the transom and you couldn't spin the handles that are supposed to rotate the bolts that clamp it to the transom. I used penetrating oils, time, tapping, heat, you name it.
Sorry you had to deal with that.

I always put TefGel on transom bolts. I use TefGel for automotive and HAM radio stuff as well. It works.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:04   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
Sorry you had to deal with that.

I always put TefGel on transom bolts. I use TefGel for automotive and HAM radio stuff as well. It works.
Yeah. I guess next time. I have never had to do that in the past two in all my decades of boating. I’ve never had an outboard stick like that before. Times they are a changing. LOL cheaper and cheaper materials.

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane