Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2015, 13:47   #1

LEAKY AVON VALVE

HOW BEST TO FIX A LEAKY AVON INFLATABLE VALVE. AIR ESCAPES RAPIDLY WHEN CAP IS REMOVED. gb
g7may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 14:25   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: LEAKY AVON VALVE

The best way is to replace it with a new valve. They're readily available at reasonable price and it's easy enough to do. I always carry extra valves in the spares kit. Sometimes it pays to also get the valve removal tool as well for some types of valves to make things just that little bit easier.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 17:27   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

These valves often have a quick air release feature where the center stud is pushed in against a spring and turned to lock the valve open.

Make sure yours was not accidentally pushed and turned and is not in the fully locked open position. Try turning it and seeing if the post pops back out and closes the valve.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 19:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If it's an old Avon, the valves are notorious for leaking. The seal is basically a flap of hypalon material that stop sealing after awhile. Keeping the rubber cap on will keep the boat inflated so you can get by without replacing the valve. I'm currently doing that with a leaky valve. If you want/need to replace the valve, there are a number of different types of valves out there. They all seem to need different nozzles to connect to the pump. Might want to change all the valves on the dinghy at the same time so all use the same inflator fitting.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 20:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If it's an old Avon, the valves are notorious for leaking. The seal is basically a flap of hypalon material that stop sealing after awhile. Keeping the rubber cap on will keep the boat inflated so you can get by without replacing the valve. I'm currently doing that with a leaky valve. If you want/need to replace the valve, there are a number of different types of valves out there. They all seem to need different nozzles to connect to the pump. Might want to change all the valves on the dinghy at the same time so all use the same inflator fitting.
The valve seals on my ancient Redcrest look like black rubber suction cups. I've always had issues with the stems breaking.
Old 15-05-2015, 05:28   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, g7may.

ALL valves will leak slowly unless the cap is screwed down tight.
Sometimes just adjusting or "fluffing up" the "seal" or O Ring may stop a slow leak.
You could try sliding a strip of dental "tape" under the seal to raise it.

See the Inflatable Boat Valve Advice Guide ➥ http://valves.polymarine.com/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 09:08   #7

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I need to replace the valves on my old Avon Redcrest. Whats the trick to loosening the big nut that holds the valve in place? I can get a big wrench on the hex nut, but don't have any way to get a good hold on the surrounding fabric to apply the opposite force required.

Do I need three helpers to stand on the fabric while I use the wrench?

This dinghy is about 30 years old but only used lightly for a few years early on. It is in great shape except after pumping it up it the valve leaks so fast (I do have the stem rotated to the closed position during inflation) I can't get the outer cap on fast enough to avoid loosing a lot of pressure.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 16:25   #8

It shouldn't be that tight. Try some spray lubricant on it first. I'd also consider using water pump pliers of a suitable size to grasp the nut. If you find you can't undo it with normal pressure, use a hammer to tap the wrench to try and jar the nut loose. I guess it's possible that someone's used adhesive sealant to glue the fitting and nut in place. In this case make a clamp to go around the valve body with a couple of pieces of wood and g-clamps to enable it to be firmly held.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
avon