Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 11:00   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Keeping dinghy bottom clean

A hard bottom paint that isn't ruined by being out of the water would be the best solution. Is there such a paint??? The hard paints that I'm familiar must be launched and kept in the water soon after painting and lose effectiveness if left out of the water. Ablatives don't lose their anti-fouling when hauled but would be a problem on a dinghy stowed on deck. Brushing up against it would ablate the paint on to whatever touched it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:15   #17

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
Just tow your dinghy upside down. I tried that once.

That works best if your boat is upside down too.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:17   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
That works best if your boat is upside down too.

S/V B'Shert
Makes a very good sea anchor.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:25   #19

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I'm thinking some bottom paint. Petit hydro coat is good on dinghys.
WE bring the dinghy up on deck for passages and therefore do not use bottom paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post

The best way to keep the bottom clean is to haul the dink when not using it. Easily done if you have davits. And then you don't have to worry about it escaping and going walkabout.
We do have davits and use them. Unfortunately, here in Florida the water is so rich with the runoff of fertilizer and poop from overflowing sewers that in just a few hours at the dock you will start to see growth.

I don't care that much about the soft growth - that's easy to scrape off. The barnacles are what are horrible.

I've read that Propspeed is a silicone based material and that you can use it on your bottom as well as the prop.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:28   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
WE bring the dinghy up on deck for passages and therefore do not use bottom paint.
So do I now (for some years) with davits. No need to tow the dinghy upside down anymore.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:40   #21

Boat: 1973 CHB sedan

Not sure if you can get Lanolin grease (from sheep) in USA but is readily available down here in Australia and cheap warm up in a pot and paint on, turn dink upside down in hot sun and use old rag to re spread after beaching ect, to remove use hot water.
Large wave piercing Catamarans operating daily out of Cairns used to use Lanolin for anti foul these were alloy built.
chiefcoxswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:05   #22

A little off topic but Lanolin from an aerosol is also very good to spray around your engine and anchor winch motor etc. to prevent corrosion. Works for a while on propellors too but prop-speed is better there.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

We do have davits and use them. Unfortunately, here in Florida the water is so rich with the runoff of fertilizer and poop from overflowing sewers that in just a few hours at the dock you will start to see growth.

I don't care that much about the soft growth - that's easy to scrape off. The barnacles are what are horrible.

I've read that Propspeed is a silicone based material and that you can use it on your bottom as well as the prop.
As I've been told; prop speed is only available to licensed operators and requires some special procedure to apply. Not sure but I think it is a 2 coat process. It is quite expensive to have a prop done but it works very well. It would probably work on a dinghy but would likely cost a lot.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:32   #24

I strongly advise against using any ablative anti-fouling paint on an inflatable dinghy. You will get it all over your hands and clothing if you ever hoist the dinghy up and when you roll up the dinghy at the end of the season, it gets all over the tubes. Best approach is to keep it out of the water except when being used.
CaptainSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:51   #25

There is a Nano product that is sprayed on cars after delivery to protect finish. A similar one is used on glass buildings to obviate need for window-washing and another on all surfaces in hospitals so bacteria will not stick avoiding in house acquired infections. The Nano material fills all the surface's interstices, even those in glass so nothing adheres. I got the idea it was like a permanent 'Rain-X' coating. It's very big in Europe.
I investigated it a while back and bought one liter which is sufficient according to the manufacturer for 55 cars! You need a cheap bug spray to apply reducing the spray to the most minimal output possible.
I was planing to spray my slate roof after steam or spray cleaning, but so far have not found someone who will work on a wet slate roof in Miami - too slippery. The idea was to prevent mildew accumulation which again according to the manufacture should work.
The company that sold it to me isn't interested in retail, but rather in doing the whole job usually entire hospital interiors for example. Sadly, my roof was too small to interest them.
Talisman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 14:02   #26

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Copper bottom paint does not work and play well with aluminium hard bottoms on inflatibles.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 14:04   #27

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I coated the bottom of my hard dinghy with a mixture of West systems epoxy and Bronze powder dust purchased from a pottery supply store [they use it for coloring before baking], I got the formula from West systems tech., they used to make this product, but stopped due to too many regulation's I was told, it works very well, don't remember the ratio, West systems could tell you.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 14:09   #28

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
surplus shrink wrap??
Cos we need more waste plastic !!
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 14:16   #29

A scrape and a scrub works well. As does dragging it up a sandy beach.
Old 02-11-2015, 15:01   #30

Boat: Union cutter 33

Wax 3 coats of bees wax then 1 coat of a canna. Wax bottom wash.s clean every time
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy