Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 07:48   #1

Boat: Catalina 34 Mk II
Kayak racks - do you use them on passages?

We have a one-person kayak that we store on deck between the shrouds and lifelines for passages, rather than using our stanchion-mounted Garhauer kayak racks. While the racks are great for storing our kayak at anchor, I've always been wary of having the kayak "hanging" outboard while sailing or motoring. I just picture a swell hitting it or the boat taking a roll, ripping out the stanchions. Am I being overly paranoid? I would like to have the deck clear so I can go forward while underway without having to dance around the kayak.
mlaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:32   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Kayak racks - do you use them on passages?

mlaver, I understand your worry but I think, as in most things about boats, the answer is it depends. I have Garhauer racks that I have used for 5 or 6 years so far. My boat is a bit bigger and the topsides are a bit higher than yours but for costal cruising, short hops offshore in settled weather I’ve never had a concern with solid water doing damage to the racks or the stanchions. For longer trips offshore or if the weather is iffy I remove the kayak or the SUPs from the rack. Similarly, I often tow my air floor inflatable dinghy but when preparing for offshore or longer costal trips I bring it aboard and deflate it.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:39   #3

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

We also use the Garhauer racks, but do NOT use them on passages. We don't worry so much about damage to the kayaks, but the increased risk of fouling sheets, etc. We've also noticed that having the kayaks etc inflated at the bow significantly increases weather helm and makes balancing the boat more of an effort.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 13:16   #4

Boat: Beneteau 461

Sorry to jump into this thread so late but thought this might be helpful to others wondering about this question.

I use stanchion-mounted kayak holders. I have a Beneteau 461 so it's pretty far out of the water. On a short passage last spring in fairly heavy seas I suddenly saw the kayak floating behind us. The kayak holders were bent all the way down flush with the hull of the boat. Apparently the kayak went under a wave while we were heeled over. The force of the water bent the holders all the way down, and ripped the lines to which the kayak was tied.

Had a lot of fun retrieving the kayak that day!

So not being one to learn a lesson, I bought new kayak holders - the same brand (sold locally, not sure the brand - look like the ones sold on catalinayachts.com). I *did* want the same brand though because I would MUCH rather have the kayak holder bend than have the stanchion bend or rip out of the hull. Anyway, on a short passage a month ago, got back to the dock and the new holder was slightly bent down after again heeling on that side in decent-sized waves. This time I had tied a line to a metal fitting on the kayak and to a rail on the deck. That metal fitting was now torn out of the kayak. (And as an aside, there was a fish on the deck, showing how far we were heeled).

Oh and sadly there was also water dripping down in the v-berth from where the stanchion is attached. So did do some damage there.

Not sure what to do now. I love having the kayak with me. And I hate to have to haul it onto the deck, using up deck space and creating lots of hassle. But obviously don't want to rip the stanchion out. Might try tying a line around a solid part of the kayak (Ocean Kayak, has holes in the floor).

But what I think is important for anybody considering using these racks on a passage is: don't use racks that won't bend Weaker racks are better so as to save your stanchion. I also think it's a bad idea to attach the racks high up on the stanchion - the lower the better so as to reduce leverage on the stanchion.
SeaReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 17:52   #5

On a passage from Hawaii to San Francisco I have had waves wash across a 40 foot boat with enough force to break stanchions when they hit stowed solar panels. That taught me a lesson. CLEAR DECKS. NOTHING on rails.

If a ton of water moving at 20 miles an hour hits that kayak, what’s going to happen? Anything good?
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 18:00   #6

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

inflatable kayak. Works well enough (I know, its not a "proper" kayak, but we enjoyed them). Lives on the rack except on passages or anytime "weather" is expected while sailing. Passages, etc, deflated below decks. A decent 12v inflater makes all a bit easier.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 18:14   #7

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We see a lot of boats with kayaks or SUP or surfboards secured to the lifelines, often outside the lifelines.

Mostly people get away with this set-up. After all Mexico, where we are, is pretty mild. Usually.

However we saw a boat 41' which got hit by a big wave which took out their solar panels which were hanging on the after railings, completely ruined both panels and damaged their railings.

Another very well known cruising family had their Kayak and stanchions ripped off of their Stephens 47 when waves got big.

The sea is patient, it is waiting, and it wants to take your kayak.

So I do not think that carrying anything on the lifelines is good seamanship. Nor do I like anything on deck.

We go to sea prepared for the worst. Our decks and lifelines are clear. I never want my wife to be telling people, when we make to port, "Fred was almost killed trying to recover the xyz which we had on deck, I was so scared".

I'd rather she be saying, "The waves came out of nowhere and they were horrendous but we got through without a problem."

Keep your decks clear and don't store anything on the lifelines.
Old 02-11-2022, 18:45   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
We see a lot of boats with kayaks or SUP or surfboards secured to the lifelines, often outside the lifelines.

Mostly people get away with this set-up. After all Mexico, where we are, is pretty mild. Usually.

However we saw a boat 41' which got hit by a big wave which took out their solar panels which were hanging on the after railings, completely ruined both panels and damaged their railings.

Another very well known cruising family had their Kayak and stanchions ripped off of their Stephens 47 when waves got big.

The sea is patient, it is waiting, and it wants to take your kayak.

So I do not think that carrying anything on the lifelines is good seamanship. Nor do I like anything on deck.

We go to sea prepared for the worst. Our decks and lifelines are clear. I never want my wife to be telling people, when we make to port, "Fred was almost killed trying to recover the xyz which we had on deck, I was so scared".

I'd rather she be saying, "The waves came out of nowhere and they were horrendous but we got through without a problem."

Keep your decks clear and don't store anything on the lifelines.
I've gotten away with surfboards (6', less than 10kg total) and solar panels on my rails, but granted the surfboards were always on the windward side and I haven't encountered big waves yet.

I might still carry the surfboards on the windward rail if I know I'm going to be a long time on the same tack, but otherwise they'll be going somewhere down below, together with the leeward solar panel. Or would that still be a bad idea?
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 20:19   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating View Post
I've gotten away with surfboards (6', less than 10kg total) and solar panels on my rails, but granted the surfboards were always on the windward side and I haven't encountered big waves yet.

I might still carry the surfboards on the windward rail if I know I'm going to be a long time on the same tack, but otherwise they'll be going somewhere down below, together with the leeward solar panel. Or would that still be a bad idea?
Stashing the boards on the windward rail is better, still not perfect. Would you go forward and move them if you had to tack? If you got into some real shitty weather would those surfboards affect your decision making?

Putting stuff below is good, but inconvenient, and it must be secured so it won't get tossed around in waves.

I think that the best place for surfboards is horizontally on the cabin top or over the bimini, on a strong frame, and well secured.

We have solar panels on the railings at the stern quarter, right where I saw some destroyed on another boat, they fold down, so I am guilty as charged. Originally our plan was to take them off in heavy weather and move them below, but they seemed so safe that we just never did that. And honestly, trying to manhandle a large solar panel in heavy weather would be dangerous in itself.

Look, everything is a compromise.
Old 03-11-2022, 14:35   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
inflatable kayak. Works well enough (I know, its not a "proper" kayak, but we enjoyed them). Lives on the rack except on passages or anytime "weather" is expected while sailing. Passages, etc, deflated below decks. A decent 12v inflater makes all a bit easier.
This is also what I have found. Not only are you risking damage to the boat, but to yourself because you may try to do something foolish in the process of trying to recover a kayak in rough sea conditions.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Kayak, passage