Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 09:43   #16

Re: Kayak or Dinghy?

While the folding kayak looks interesting, I don't think I could get out of it and onto the sailboat without taking a swim. The inflatable tubes of an inflatable kayak provides some stability. It would be interesting to hear of some people's experiences.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:51   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I have had crawled into and out of kayaks from boats, Everglades Chickees and boat docks many times.

Can it be done? Yes. It was much easier in my 40's and 50's. At 60, it would require much more effort and focus. As well as 100% sobriety.

FWIW, my plan is to get a hypalon dink and an inflatable paddle board.

Once I get the battery system work out....

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:51   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Having gone both routes I now have settled on a large, heavy duty, inflatable kayak. It hauls a lot (me, my wife AND 2 small kids easily) up to 800 lbs., it is easy to paddle even in a headwind, stable, easy to stand up in (inflatable floor is like a paddleboard) when boarding and rolls up pretty well. Mine is fine on sandy and rocky beaches but I do avoid sharp rocks and barnacles. There are many makes, mine is a Sea Eagle and so far it serves me well. Where I am cruising I am on and off the boat often and landing on both sandy and rocky beaches. No holes or leaks yet.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:23   #19
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
While a hard kayak will paddle better than an inflatable one, I think the hard kayak would be harder to board from the sailboat. I'm looking at an inflatable kayak that shows a person sanding up in it.(sea eagle)
That is a matter of acquired skill, like riding a bike. I was paddling yesterday (boarded from the sailboat) AND the water temperature was 31F (yes, there was substantial ice). Do you think I was confident that I could board without swimming? Yes, I was. Just learn the balance. It is NOT strenuous if done properly.

----

Standing in an inflatable kayak is almost more difficult. The thing is not rigid.
Old 13-03-2015, 14:26   #20

Is it just me or has anyone else had problems with spiders in kayaks?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:33   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

anything unused willgrowspideys lol use the damnthing.
kayaks atre great but most inflatableonbes suck at hauling. i have plastic sit inside entry level flat water kayak for dinbk and provisioning as wella s another same and a walker bay 10, as i need to carry lots of water and such itema heavier than kayak wants to haul
you will figger out your own needs soon enough.
plastic kayak...400 usd
walker bay dink new--over 1000
so find a cheapo hard dink and a kayak and see what you use most and go with that.. or both
is only money, after all......and comfort
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:34   #22

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

We also have both except that the kayak is a tandem inflatable. No doubt we use it the most because it is easy to launch. It is virtually unflappable, deflates for longer and offshore. We have even taken it in the car with us when we were concerned about leaving it on the beach or dock.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
anything unused willgrowspideys lol use the damnthing.
kayaks atre great but most inflatableonbes suck at hauling. i have plastic sit inside entry level flat water kayak for dinbk and provisioning as wella s another same and a walker bay 10, as i need to carry lots of water and such itema heavier than kayak wants to haul
you will figger out your own needs soon enough.
plastic kayak...400 usd
walker bay dink new--over 1000
so find a cheapo hard dink and a kayak and see what you use most and go with that.. or both
is only money, after all......and comfort
I have a zodiac, a canoe and a kayak. Unseen spiders don't bite my legs in the zodiac or the canoe. I don't use the kayak as regularly as the other two boats because it's a PITA to get into from the boat, when I do, it has spiders.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:49   #24

DL,

Is your sea eagle kayak, the fast track model?
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 06:00   #25

Just some comments on inflatable kayaks, as I have been in dozens of them.

Most of the inflatables are quite stable, as they are wider - 32 to 38 inches. I have jumped out of many to cool off, and been able to climb back on without flipping - you just need upper arm strength.

There are many types of inflatables. The low-pressure PVC models will be harder to get in-and-out of, as they aren't as rigid. The high-pressure models are much more stable on entry, as you can stand up in them.

The smooth skin inflatables will dry off more quickly.

Some of these models have hauling capacities of 600 lbs. and can handle up to 3, or can be paddled by one with lots of room for gear/supplies.

If storing inflated on your boat, you don't want to leave them at max pressure - deflate them slightly, as hot sun can cause them to expand.

We have a Guide to Choosing an Inflatable Kayak on our WordPress blog at

https://airkayaks.wordpress.com/2013...-you-consider/

But, if you have any questions, feel free to email.

I also very much enjoy some of the high-pressure standup paddle boards that allow you to attach a seat for sit-down kayaking, as well as attach gear.
Holly
AirKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 06:07   #26
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Actually, it is not difficult to re-enter any recreation kayak from the water, it is just a matter of technique. Do not try to just pull yourself over the side like and inflatable dingy.
  • Start at the end flop over the bow like a seal. You can't tip it at the pointy end because there is no leverage.
  • Scoot you way back, with you hips of the boat, feet and shoulders still in the water.
  • When you get to the seat, roll over into the seat, then swing your legs in.
Not easy at first, but easy with practice.

But I have NEVER dumped a kayak other than white water, so you have no reason to think you will. Do read a little and learn a brace stroke.

Tags
dinghy, Kayak