Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 09:35   #1

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic
Jordan Series Drogue cloth

Hi there,

As I mentioned before I'm in the process of building my own JDS. The recommendation for the cloth material I've read somewhere was ripstop nylon. This is what I'm using, I got it from a good (non marine) source, it's the stuff kites are made from. It won't rip and it seems really unlikely it's going to be torn up by anything. However... I've just realised something... If water is allowed to pass throught he fabric, the drag will be greatly reduced. Imagine jumping out of an airplane with a net as a parachute. When held under a faucet small "tears" of water bleed out of the fabric after a few seconds.

What is normal for a JSD? Is some water allowed through or are the cones usually completely watertight? How to test it?
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:36   #2

Re: Jordan Series Drogue cloth

I cannot imagine that such a small level of permeability would impact the drag at all. I would not worry about it, but if you want you could always apply a waterproof coating to the fabric.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:34   #3

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic

Waterproofing would not work. According to the CG document the drogue can be subject to over 10.000 wave-cycles during one storm. Not many spray-on waterproofing sprays would whitstand that .

Anyway, the sailrite kit document states that it uses "ripstop nylon sailcloth". Mine is ripstop nylon and it visually fits the sailrite product, but it is not "sailcloth" per se. Does anybody know if there's different types of ripstop nylon? Is there a difference between "normal" ripstop nylon and "sailcloth" ripstop nylon?
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 18:49   #4

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I believe Sailrite uses 2 oz ripstop nylon, Ace Sailmakers are now using 3.5 oz. If your are not sure what you have you might consider breaking down and getting some high quality heavier weight sailcloth like that which Ace uses. Considering the amount of labor you will put into making the JSD and the function it serves, it would be false economy to go cheap on the cloth. Your cloth may be fine, but you don't want to do this twice!

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 04:09   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laser
Wow Mike you're correct.
Ace Sails is using 3.4 oz nylon from Challenge Sailcloth to manufacture the Jordan Series Drogue®.
Much stronger than the old style 2.2 oz nylon.

Jordan series Drogue ® is a registered trademark describing the series drogue invented by Don Jordan as built by Ace Sailmakers.

Thank you
Dave Pelissier
acesails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 02:07   #6

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Pulled out my old series drogue the other day. One of the previous owners used it a fair bit, rumour has it he went through the queens birthday storm that claimed a few boats heading north from NZ.

What is interesting is that the cones closest to the boat are badly frayed while the last half are like new.

If I was building one I would consider building it with heavy cloth in the first third, then get progresively lighter towards the far end to save on bulk.

Sent from my C6903 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-05-2014, 02:12   #7

Here are a couple of pics of it. Quite light nylon cloth and not ripstop. Looks like the cheap stuff sold in material shops. Some of the cones where badly frayed but still would be usable. It is three strand nylon which seems to have not twisted up to bad. One small hockle right near end with the weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1401527349519.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	82130   Click image for larger version

Name:	1401527382521.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	82131  

Old 31-05-2014, 23:21   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I don't think that the permeability of your cloth would have any measurable effect upon the drag provided. However, the longevity is indeed a question, and I personally would not skimp on the cloth weight and quality.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-07-2014, 22:54   #9

Boat: Alan Pape. Ebbtide 33'

I too am making a JSD.
using 'rip stop nylon' cloth from a Material shop.

I was happy with the first lot of material I bought... no description of the stuff was available, apart from " rip stop nylon ".

I sewed 40 cones, then went back for more material. Wasn't til I got home I realised the stuff was different, lighter material, much like the yellow stuff in the photo's above.
I just kept sewing cones anyhoo, but have been "zigzagging" a line of stitching across the top, down one side and across the bottom .. BEFORE I sew up the cones / webbing. Hoping thus to avoid fraying. Ran out of material, need another 22 cones, went back for more yesterday; and they have different material again, still " rip-stop nylon" but heavier weight.

Wish I had made them all out of this, too bad, go with what I have.

picture added, left to right ... medium weight orange, heavy weight red and lighter weight pale orange.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1404626079.458239.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	84520

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scare_Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 00:47   #10

Looks good. Well done. Just use the heavy ones first and the light ones near the weight and it will be perfect!
Old 06-07-2014, 03:51   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Actually it makes no difference where on the line the cones go, they all share exactly the same amount of drag. The line itself carries the load. When I built mine I cheated and bought pre-made cones, so I didn't have to do any sewing; but the brunt of the work is attaching all those cones (132 in my case) to the lines! The whole assembly takes up a lot of volume (and weight) but the potential benefits of just the first use are very big. I've got some more pictures at Zanshin I Jordan Series Drogue
Old 06-07-2014, 04:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Actually it makes no difference where on the line the cones go, they all share exactly the same amount of drag. The line itself carries the load.
I'm not so sure... My theory is that with the stretch in the rode the ones closest to the boat are dragged through the water much faster as the boat accelerates. And they also see much more sideways movement as the boat yaws. In addition they are nearer the surface and see more orbital currents, and disturbed water from any breakers.

In comparison the cones at the end are in deep steady water and are being towed in a much more consistent speed and direction.

My series drogue has perfect cones near the weight end and badly worn ones near the boat.

I would be keen to hear if anyone else has seen similar result with their drogue?

Cheers

Ben
Old 06-07-2014, 04:10   #13

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Actually it makes no difference where on the line the cones go, they all share exactly the same amount of drag.
Actually there's a big difference. The cones closest the boat and the surface have the greatest amount of wave action on them so their cyclid load min's and max's varies much more compared the far most cones swimming the deepest..

Ben responded faster but pretty much the same reasons..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:01   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
..My theory is that with the stretch in the rode the ones closest to the boat are dragged through the water much faster as the boat accelerates...
Hmmm, that does make sense. I stand corrected, the ones close to the boat do see higher loads than those further back!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:45   #15

Quote:
Hmmm, that does make sense. I stand corrected, the ones close to the boat do see higher loads than those further back!
Ha, all good. I didnt work it out untill I started looking at the damage to mine. You forced me to explain myself better, which is always a good thing. Nice drogue you made. Well done. Cheers

Tags
drogue