Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 14:36   #1

Is this a serious dealer?

hi,
my name is Manfred, I am a cruiser from Austria and I am new in this forum.
I am planing to buy a new Zodiac Zoom 260 S and I want it sent to the British Virgin Islands. inflatableboats.net (this is not inflatableboats.com), 3596 Harbor Blvd, Ventura, CA, 93001 has already sent me a pretty good offer.
Does one of you know this dealer? Will the item arrive after paying?
Thanks in advance
Manfred
mmvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 17:40   #2

I don't know about the company you asked about, but I bought my dinghy from http://www.affordableinflatable.com/estore/index.php and was very satisfied. They shipped to Florida.
Bermuda Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 15:33   #3
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent
Re: Is this a serious dealer?

Zodiac Zoom 260 Aero Inflatable Boats - iboats
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 15:48   #4
Eternal Member

Manfred,

Welcome to Cruisers Forum!

I've spent many years in the Virgin Islands and would like to offer the following advice for what it's worth.

1. A dingy is a very important accessory in the Virgins, as it is elsewhere in the Caribbean. Sometimes, they are called upon to make longer-than-you-think trips in sometimes difficult choppy conditions. The larger the better.

2. Air inflatable bottoms and air seats and the like are nowhere near as good as a RIB with a hard, fiberglass bottom.

3. I know the Zodiac model you mentioned is cheap...under $1,000 on sale in the U.S. But, you really get what you pay for. And, shipping to the BVI will not be cheap.

May I suggest that if you are not totally convinced that the Zodiac Zoom 260S is the way to go, that you first visit a local dealer of inflatables and check out what else is available? Also, ask around....at the bar! PegLeg or Pussers would be a good place to talk with other cruisers.

One local dealer you might visit is Tradewinds Yachting Services in Road Town:
Tradewinds Yachting Services

I bought a 9' Caribe inflatable RIB from them about 10 years ago and have been very happy with it. Still in great condition.

Have a good time in the BVI....there's no better place for real sailing :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 00:32   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

No idea - stick it on your credit card and will only be a bit of aggro / delay to reclaim the money (from CC company) rather than a total loss.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 01:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Manfred,

Welcome to Cruisers Forum!

I've spent many years in the Virgin Islands and would like to offer the following advice for what it's worth.

1. A dingy is a very important accessory in the Virgins, as it is elsewhere in the Caribbean. Sometimes, they are called upon to make longer-than-you-think trips in sometimes difficult choppy conditions. The larger the better.

2. Air inflatable bottoms and air seats and the like are nowhere near as good as a RIB with a hard, fiberglass bottom.

3. I know the Zodiac model you mentioned is cheap...under $1,000 on sale in the U.S. But, you really get what you pay for. And, shipping to the BVI will not be cheap.

May I suggest that if you are not totally convinced that the Zodiac Zoom 260S is the way to go, that you first visit a local dealer of inflatables and check out what else is available? Also, ask around....at the bar! PegLeg or Pussers would be a good place to talk with other cruisers.

One local dealer you might visit is Tradewinds Yachting Services in Road Town:
Tradewinds Yachting Services

I bought a 9' Caribe inflatable RIB from them about 10 years ago and have been very happy with it. Still in great condition.

Have a good time in the BVI....there's no better place for real sailing :-)

Bill
+1 on all of the above, especially #3 - shipping to BVI. You should get a quote for shipping and customs handling as well as estimated delivery dates. You might be unpleasantly surprised. Note that, in our experience, you should add another month or two to the quoted delivery date [or more if the dealer is doing this for the first time].
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 04:24   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I think the Zodiac Zoom is made of PVC. It will have a pretty short life in the tropics. An inflatable built out of hypalon will last a lot longer.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 05:28   #8

Thank you for your numerous answers!
I know that PVC is is lower quality and because of this reason cheaper.
On the other hand I am using my dinghi only 2 months per year and both of my previous 2 zodiacs held an acceptable condition for 13 years.
I have no idea how customs formalities are running on the British Virgin Islands.
What happens when the seller is delivering to a BVI-boatyard?
Will the dinghi be delivered to the boatyard or to a customs depot in Road Town?
Best regards from Vienna (50°F) sent by
Manfred
mmvk is offline   Reply With Quote