Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2008, 13:59   #1

Inflatable tube covers

Does anyone know of anybody selling tube covers for inflatables? I know a lot of people sew their own. I found this link, Custom cover for your inflatable (dinghy) that Chuck posted on another thread.
It just seems that once a pattern was made, it would be easy for someone with sewing skills/equipment/contacts in third world sweatshop/canvas shop to resell covers in bulk for the common RIBs that are being used. It might impact my choice of dinghy if I knew I could extend the life with a fitting cover. My good friend Google has been letting me down on this one, because all I can find are full boat covers.
Old 20-06-2008, 14:10   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
...it would be easy for someone with sewing skills/equipment/contacts in third world sweatshop/canvas shop...
hahaha, reminds me of Flight of the Conchords, "What are your overheads?!?".

Seriously though, I would imagine that someone in a local canvas shop or sail repair type place would be able to make something up for you.
Old 20-06-2008, 14:18   #3

Ok, 'easy' was probably a poor word choice. How about, Feasible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamaphone View Post
Seriously though, I would imagine that someone in a local canvas shop or sail repair type place would be able to make something up for you.
As much as I love supporting my local businesses, I was hoping to not have to pay for custom 'one off' design and fabrication work.
I mean, if Caribe knows they are going to sell 1000 9' Ribs every year, why not make 200 fitting covers as an add on sale? Maybe that would make people think that the tubes aren't bulletproof, if they need a cover?

There's got to be some cruiser out there with too much time on their hands. Here's your business opportunity!
Old 20-06-2008, 14:19   #4

If you are going to sail tropical waters, I am a big advocate of dinghy covers - our Avon probably died a premature death for lack of one. We bought a new Caribe and had a cover custom made for it from some sunbrella-like fabric in VZ for $120. But, that was 8 years ago when the USD was worth a lot more. Our cover was test fitted by the seamstress several times until she had it perfect. The dinghy still looked brand new 2 years later.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 14:30   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I met a cruiser in St. Croix that made his own out of discarded sail material. Hand sewn and rather ratty looking.
Just exactly the look one wants if cruising from what I read.

I don't know and still wonder how they are attached to the dingy though.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 15:00   #6

Boat: Trismus 37
I have looked as well and have found nothing.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 15:23   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
It just seems that once a pattern was made, it would be easy for someone with sewing skills/equipment/contacts in third world sweatshop/canvas shop to resell covers in bulk for the common RIBs that are being used.
Wot about 3rd world Hiv / Aids orphans?

Not a sweatshop (as far as I know!) - and the orphanage is not also a factory!

But the carers of each "family group" are also involved with handicraft / sewing activities and the products are commercially sold (in Europe and Oz), albeit small scale (they ain't Nike!).

The idea is that (apart from providing additional earnings / occupation / self worth for the carers - also HIV+) that as the kids get older some can learn skills for later employment / self employment (both the sewing / related stuff and no doubt the small business skills).....of course some will go onto more school etc etc.....

This end of the Orphanage is still a developing area - when the Orphanage was set up a few years back the kids reaching an age where they had to worry about later employment was not an issue.........so presently still a learning curve for all involved....as some of the kids now start to hit the teenage years......

Not exactly set up online to buy RIB covers from .....but if someone was looking for a small scale producer / supplier in the 3rd world to build a relationship with, that would probably be more reliable than most (even if not the dirt cheapest).....then maybe worth having a chat / then a visit.

Might seem a bit strange even thinking about trying to make money from an Orphanage - but IMO a profitable bizness (for both sides) is long term sustainable......"give a man a net etc etc".

Otherwise, just send them some money

Of course I don't speak for them etc etc.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote