Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 02:42   #1

Inflatable Kayak instead of Dinghy and Outboard engine

Hallo

I bought a used 36` Sailboat and want to cruise the mediterranean.
It is an ex-charter boat and comes with a small dinghy plus outboard engine.
I have some charter experience but still lack experience in cruising that I will hopefully gather in the next time.

As I like to keep it as simple as possible I would like to get rid of it, because I never know where to store it and also I dont like the fact of dealing with gasoline.

My question is not whether you need a dinghy or not (Of corse I do not always want to swim ashore) but our crew is young and healthy so I feel that I could substitute the engine powered dinghy with a good quality inflatable kayak for shore excursions and provisioning.

The only thing that concerns me is whether I should keep the dinghy for security reasons.

1) Are there certain situations, like bringing out a second anchor in windy conditions, that would require an engine powered dinghy and cannot be managed by a rowing kayak?

2) Did anyone ever really use the dinghy to train the boat in case of main engine failure and therefore considers the small outboard engine as a must have? this seems rather theoretical to me.

3) Any other reasons to keep the dinghy?

Thank you very much
vw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:58   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Inflatable Kayak instead of Dinghy and Outboard engine

Don't get rid of the dinghy....having a cruising boat without a dinghy is like having a farm without a tractor. Possible but not easy.
Gas is no biggie, and the dink will be in use daily once you get into the swing of things.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:08   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The dinghy w/outboard does increase your anchoring location options nd provisioning opportunities.

I have used my dinghy to maneuver my vessel with engine failure from an anchored position to a marina slip.

In addition, our dinghy has allowed us to explore more distant areas and snorkel on less accessible reefs. We do keep a pair of kayaks on deck and enjoy them, but the dinghy with the outboard gives us many advantages.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:10   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Keep the dink for the reasons that you state, & 101 more. Though when cruising it also pays to have a 2nd tender, if only an inflatible kayak. As there will be times that someone is ashore in the dink when people onboard also need to get to shore while they're gone.

Also, basic question. But if you don't have a dink, what are your plans for when it's necessary to carry 50-250lbs of gear ashore, or from shore to the mother ship?
That, or when it's time fore more than 1 person at a time to go ashore, or back to your boat? Since 2-4 folks won't fit into a kayak very well.

Your dink is your; pickup truck, family station wagon/SUV, daily driver, & everything else that you usually use a car for. Plus, as stated, that you'd use a tractor around a farm for. While a kayak is more akin to a motorcycle, or bike.

BTW, the gasoline danger thing is way overstated. As I'm sure that you have other volitile things onboard. From acetone to stove fuel. And unless you commonly visit marinas you may want a portable generator so that you can run power tools, etc. With smaller generators typically running on gasoline.
Just keep it topside somewhere that has good ventillation. The gas I mean.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:22   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Just keep it topside somewhere that has good ventillation. The gas I mean.
And don't fill the gas tank to the top lest it get warm and overflow.

But yes, you will kick yourself if you don't take that dinghy and motor.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:27   #6

Thank you very much for all the usefull answers!
You encouraged me to keep the dinghy! (If I should ever want to get rid of it in the future I could always do so later)

Thanks
Old 05-12-2016, 08:51   #7

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

We have both also but end up using the inflatable 90% of the time because it is so easy to launch off the deck.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:15   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

On this question, there are a few other things to think over. Such as the question of, how will you get your date/mate to & from the boat in a kayak? Particularly without her getting splashed by waves, dripped on by paddles, & without her backside getting soaked due to the kayak's seat (or lack there of). Plus, after a Very short time of living aboard, getting your own butt or feet wet gets old in a hurry too. Ever go to the pub with a wet ass?

And while you may be able to physically get some gear into a kayak ashore, it too won't be a fan of being douched. Take a bicycle for example, or your laundry. Though, yes, covers & drybags really do help.
Also, you also need to consider how easy it is to get into your tender from the mother ship. Regardless of what you're using for a tender. As while you, when lving aboard, may get used to climbing into a (tippy) canoe from the deck of your boat, will everyone else? Especially if they're not both athletic, & yachtsmen.

BTW, you may also want to look at having both a hard dink as well as an inflatible. They're targeted less by those with sticky fingers. Take the beating of being a daily user better. And can handle things like an anchor, or shellfish, being placed in them with far less, & less serious consequences. Plus, they're easy to repair (or modify). And used ones are often dirt cheap.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:53   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the only thing i miss with not having dinghy--i can no longer independently relocate my boat if i experience engine issues.
i have a dinghy, rigid dink, not deflatable, i choose not to keep an engine.
i prefer rigid dinks to deflatable even rib when surf landing and beach dragging .... they seem to not hole quite as rapidly when sanded daily or exposed to rip rap..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:05   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

Here's what I'm looking to use:

Mirage i14T : Inflatable Kayaks : Hobie Cat
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:12   #11
gwy

Boat: Paceship32

Keep the dinghy and the inflatable. The advanced elements line of inflatables is fabulous, not toys, seaworthy and yes indeed can be a dinghy a second dinghy. Not having a dink, whether inflatable, hard, or folding, and an outboard is like another said, a farm without a tractor and I might add without a shovel as well. A kayak will never be as stable as an avon or zodiac etc., trying to get a second anchor out is not an easy task except in the calmest of weather, in heavy seas in a kayak is right up there with nailing jello to a tree. Take both, not one or the other. Our inflatable kayaks always had lots of of use and many times we were tempted (the boat was a 36' - J 110) to just take them without the avon and outboard - we did that only once and simply put it was clear the avon was needed.

gwy (Maine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw1961 View Post
Hallo

I bought a used 36` Sailboat and want to cruise the mediterranean.
It is an ex-charter boat and comes with a small dinghy plus outboard engine.
I have some charter experience but still lack experience in cruising that I will hopefully gather in the next time.

As I like to keep it as simple as possible I would like to get rid of it, because I never know where to store it and also I dont like the fact of dealing with gasoline.

My question is not whether you need a dinghy or not (Of corse I do not always want to swim ashore) but our crew is young and healthy so I feel that I could substitute the engine powered dinghy with a good quality inflatable kayak for shore excursions and provisioning.

The only thing that concerns me is whether I should keep the dinghy for security reasons.

1) Are there certain situations, like bringing out a second anchor in windy conditions, that would require an engine powered dinghy and cannot be managed by a rowing kayak?

2) Did anyone ever really use the dinghy to train the boat in case of main engine failure and therefore considers the small outboard engine as a must have? this seems rather theoretical to me.

3) Any other reasons to keep the dinghy?

Thank you very much
gwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:19   #12

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I have used a single place Stearns kayak for many years, I now have a dinghy, and I have modified it by cutting it in half and making the bow fit in the stern to store in a smaller package. You can find pictures of these on my website. I see no reason one cannot get by with just a kayak, you just have to plan ahead, and use what you have. Just make sure you get one that can stand some abrasion and is difficult to puncture, not a inflatable plastic pool toy. I still will carry and often use the kayak.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:54   #13

Boat: Outbound 46

We have an inflatable two-person kayak (it has glass floors, really cool), but I certainly would not want to try and get to shore in it in a 25-knot breeze with a 3-foot chop. In those conditions, there is a real risk of being blown out to sea.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:13   #14

Isn't it difficult to go against 25 Knot Wind and 3ft chop in a small dinghy as well?

We all know these plastic rail mount outboard brackets we use to store the dinghy outboard. Has anyone ever thought of mounting one of these somewhere on the swimming ladder so that in case of an engine failure and no wind, the dinghy outboard could be used for maneuvring in port? This would be accessible a lot easier than to tie the dinghy itself somehow alongside to the boat?

Old 06-12-2016, 06:18   #15

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw1961 View Post
Isn't it difficult to go against 25 Knot Wind and 3ft chop in a small dinghy as well?

We all know these plastic rail mount outboard brackets we use to store the dinghy outboard. Has anyone ever thought of mounting one of these somewhere on the swimming ladder so that in case of an engine failure and no wind, the dinghy outboard could be used for maneuvring in port? This would be accessible a lot easier than to tie the dinghy itself somehow alongside to the boat?

I'd say it's easier than going against the same in a kayak. I wouldn't rely on one of those palstic mounts on the rail to take the stresses generated by the engine under power. they're not the most robust of things.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, engine, inflatable, Kayak, outboard