Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 14:14   #31

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Ideal Boat Bike?

And here's me trying to figure out how to get my Suzuki 650 Burgman on board. (-;
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 14:21   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Ideal Boat Bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Dahon, like Ford, made Pintos, and made . . . GT40's.

The Jetstream EX:

Attachment 201254

https://dahon.com/bikes/jetstream-ex/

The "German A" suspension (Products - GERMAN ANSWER bike technologies GmbH & Co. KG ), with separate rebound damping control, cost more, if you buy it separately, than I paid for the whole bike. It's cheap at the price.

Some of the best money I ever spent. I've ridden the spokes off it in probably 10 countries over the last 7 years, worn out several sets of tires and brakes and now worn out a bottom bracket.

It has splendid geometry and rides like a full sized road bike, except with better acceleration and less wind resistance because of the smaller wheels. Thank you, Sir Alex Moulton. The suspension is awesome; I don't even feel cobblestones, and I've ridden down flights of stairs under control.

I rode it in fact today, about 20 miles round trip to and from a business meeting. But it desperately needs service -- bottom bracket is knackered, and I've got loose spokes.

I’d answer that by saying the GT-40 was a one off, and was likely more to rub Enzo’s nose in it for not selling to Ford at the last minute.
Ford as Ford very often does dropped it pretty quickly.

Of course you and I have very different opinions on bike suspensions too, I feel they add weight and rob power often pedaling when standing compressed them.
People either like suspensions or don’t, I’m in the don’t crowd.

A chain isn’t so bad, if you can keep the bike in a good padded bag, and keep it clean. Waxing is one way, but most don’t know how to wax a chain. First you need a link to break the chain, and secondly you must completely degrease the chain, best to start with a new nickel chain and use acetone and a toothbrush and let it sit in acetone for a long time.
Derailer drop outs are subject to be bent, don’t buy a bike that it’s not replaceable, and carry a replacement, cause it’s probably going to eventually get bent.

I would like a belted bike myself, but I think a Nuvinci hub would be the ticket, but I’ve not ridden one.
https://www.fallbrooktech.com/nuvinci-technology/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:44   #33

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Dahon, like Ford, made Pintos, and made . . . GT40's.

The Jetstream EX:

Woof! Thanks for info; I don't see it cataloged on their site now. Costs more than 2x both of our current boat bikes together... Woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Of course you and I have very different opinions on bike suspensions too, I feel they add weight and rob power often pedaling when standing compressed them.
People either like suspensions or don’t, I’m in the don’t crowd.

A chain isn’t so bad, if you can keep the bike in a good padded bag, and keep it clean.
I like our front suspension; takes most of the jar out of landing after flying off a high curb, etc... Don't like a rear suspension, though; I think that interferes too much with load-bearing capacity. And then I'm a very casual rider, wifey doesn't like hers and doesn't at all like to ride anyway, so we're not really a great example. We just treat 'em as a"station wagon" for getting stuff from there to here.

Ref chain: so much work! I don't wanna do all that. I want the thing to be impervious to weather, no rust, no drips... without me having to baby it all the time.

I guess I probably will remove my milk crate, fold the bike, and stuff it into its bag for our trip down... but I'd rather leave it upright and ready to go, just in case we need to do a partial resupply somewhere along the way. We're not so space constrained as are many folks here, though...

-Chris
Old 10-10-2019, 06:17   #34

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

I love my Montegue Crosstown 7 speed folding bike.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:08   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
I love my Montegue Crosstown 7 speed folding bike.

I've always liked Montagues, but they are kind of huge for keeping on a boat, aren't they?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:31   #36

If you think of going full size folder take a look at Fubifixie – Full size folding bikes It's a finnish project so a personal visit is probably possible. You can buy a naked frame and use whatever components you like to build the bike.
Rumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:00   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpi View Post
If you think of going full size folder take a look at Fubifixie – Full size folding bikes It's a finnish project so a personal visit is probably possible. You can buy a naked frame and use whatever components you like to build the bike.

Not for a boat, but a great project. After some years with a folding bike which rides as well as any non-folding bike I ever had, I now believe that all bikes should fold up.

Odd that they should say "Made in Scandinavia!" Finland is not in Scandinavia.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 10-10-2019, 13:29   #38

You know what I don't understand? This is not about the bike you need it's about the bike you want. And what you want is your Jetstream without chain and deraileur. So if you already know what your ideal bike is why don't you take a Jetstream EX to Bernd to put a Rohloff and beltdrive on it. Or go to Cavalier to get a Effigear (and Rohloff) plus belt. Or go to Brix to get a shaftdrive and Rohloff.
You won't be happy with less then you have now so why compromise? After all you could just as easy get a basic Strida and call it a day.
Rumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 14:14   #39
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
These bikes get great reviews, and in comparisons seem to compete well with Bromptons. The latter use an incredibly clever folding mechanism but for more than $1000 less, the Zizzo looks very good and might take a bit more work to fold.
FWIW I've had and used the Zizzo daily for a couple years. It folds and unfolds easily and quickly I can assure you. If space is a big problem, both front and rear tires are quick release and could be easily stored separately from the frame.

And you can't beat the weight - 23 lb.
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 14:27   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You know what I don't understand? This is not about the bike you need it's about the bike you want. And what you want is your Jetstream without chain and deraileur. So if you already know what your ideal bike is why don't you take a Jetstream EX to Bernd to put a Rohloff and beltdrive on it. Or go to Cavalier to get a Effigear (and Rohloff) plus belt. Or go to Brix to get a shaftdrive and Rohloff.
You won't be happy with less then you have now so why compromise? After all you could just as easy get a basic Strida and call it a day.

Well, I've actually thought of that, seriously.

It is possible that with the belt drive and no derailleur I might not mind stowing it so much.

But I wouldn't be giving up the Jetstream -- I will keep it for city use, and could take it on the boat if I thought I would have some great riding opportunities. The thing is to have something really handy which I can always have on board without noticing it. The Pakit seems to fit that bill. I just don't know how it will ride, but there's one way to find out -- and that's to just buy it and see.

I was reading the comments above about bikes with suspension, and reading the reviews of the uber-expensive carbon AC Atto, and was surprised that so many bikes of this class, like the Atto, have flexy frames. The Jet Stream is like the Brooklyn Bridge; it's more rigid than my old racing bike. There is no loss of transmission power due to the rear suspension. I am not used to and would not like a flexy or wobbly frame, and so I may be setting myself up for disappointment, but I won't know until I try.

In the worst case I could do exactly as you suggest and pop on the belt drive (but only one with a joint I'm afraid) and an 11 speed Alfine or Rohloff and go for it. I probably wouldn't need Berndt; I believe I could manage those mods myself.
Walt Whitman
Old 10-10-2019, 14:52   #41

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post
FWIW I've had and used the Zizzo daily for a couple years. .
Is there a dealer for Zizzos the EU? Their website said that they don't ship outside of the USA. Funny that it's called Euromini, but I don't seem able to source it over here.

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 14:54   #42

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
After all you could just as easy get a basic Strida and call it a day.
I have a Strida and it really is incredibly easy to stow/transfer/manipulate. I just sewed it a duffle bag from some old canvas and put on a shoulder strap. The lack of oily chain is terrific for this alone.

HOWEVER:

1. You will be laughed at. Mercilessly. My 18 yo son refers to it as my clown bike and has prohibited me from riding it anywhere near him.

2. It is the twitchiest bike I have ever ridden. I used to be a pretty serious mountain-bike rider, and I reckon I am pretty stable on a bike, but this thing is scary. Anything over 17 km/h and you want to be seriously alert.

So if you don't have a frail ego, and you don't want to go very far, it is very good, but I do find myself lusting after some of the REAL folding bikes from time to time.

Matt
Old 10-10-2019, 15:35   #43

Quote:
That's all very seductive, but since God invented the Gates Carbon Belt Drive, I ain't havin no more bikes with chains on my boat.

For boat bike service, it's, as they say over here, the dog's danglies:

https://www.gatescarbondrive.com/

I hope you have better luck with Shimano internal gear hub than I have. Bought (2) eight speed, one had snapping/clicking sound brand new, replaced under warranty, still makes too much noise IMO. The other hub is now having trouble locking into 5th gear, ~800 miles on it. These are not DIY repairable. My Dahon 8 speed derailleurs with chain have been solid, and I can repair if needed. Belt drive is cool, but not worth the finicky internal gear hubs, waxed chain is much better than grease. YMMV
OldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 15:53   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
I hope you have better luck with Shimano internal gear hub than I have. Bought (2) eight speed, one had snapping/clicking sound brand new, replaced under warranty, still makes too much noise IMO. The other hub is now having trouble locking into 5th gear, ~800 miles on it. These are not DIY repairable. My Dahon 8 speed derailleurs with chain have been solid, and I can repair if needed. Belt drive is cool, but not worth the finicky internal gear hubs, waxed chain is much better than grease. YMMV
If you have the money then the Rohloff is king all-day long. If you're on a budget and unless you need the gears, the 3-speed internal gear hubs are stronger. The Enviolo (formerly Nuvinci) is also worth a look at.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 17:22   #45

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
Ideal Boat Bike?

I used a strida to commute to work. What would be a 40 min leisurely ride on smth like an old Schwinn turned into an hour of hard work. And you can’t go uphill, because first the strida only has one gear (at least mine does), and second - the belt slips if you try too hard. And yes it is very wobbly...
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat