Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 09:16   #1

Boat: Cal 2-30
I know nothing. Is this stove salvageable?

This is the stove that was on my boat. I've always assumed that it was broken and have either avoided cooking or gone to shore. This year I want to replace it or get it working. Is anyone familiar with this model? Does it look like its worth trying to troubleshoot and if so, how would I go about that?

Here is a link to the full Imgur album... sorry about the blurriness.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Old 04-03-2018, 10:14   #2

Boat: Sceptre 36
Re: I know nothing. Is this stove salvageable?

Looks like unpressurized alcohol stove. Unless rusted out, do not see how it could fail. Add methyl hydrate, light and 45 minutes later your kettle will simmer.

Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:14   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Probably works fine. Fill the canister with denatured alcohol, close the lid, open the metal bit covering the canister and light.
mathiasben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:21   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Looks like a plain liquid unpressurized alcohol burner. (I'd be reluctant to call it a "stove", that's just me.)

First there is the love or fear and loathing of alcohol, that's a personal thing.

But very very careful about the rust. If there are any pinholes, or any develop as you keep using it, alcohol can sneak out, run down the counter, and then ignite and take your boat with it. Alcohol stoves have a reputation for being problematic with invisible [sic] blue flames, and the way alcohol can spread around.

First time around...start small, only fill partly, keep a fire blanket or other precautions around just in the absurd case that something goes awry. And of course make sure the alcohol container is capped and put out of reach before you light the stove. (It's that fumes thing.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:51   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Looks like it might be an Origo stove. The round tank holds denatured alcohol. Great stove. Not as hot as propane but usable and a lot simpler than propane.
Safer than propane as it wont explode and you can put it out with water.

My wife, who is used to electric stoves, really liked it.
https://www.dometic.com/en/se/produc...o-2000-_-20492

When you follow the link, scroll down for the owners manual.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:33   #6

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I restored on old Origo stove that looks very similar to this one in and was in a similar condition. It now works well, But it took a bit to free up the metal damper that slides across the top to regulate the flame and shut it down. This needs to seal well onto the canister or else the stove will be difficult (or impossible) to extinguish, so do a test run with minimal fuel, and in a safe place.

The edges of the damper can burn or corrode as well. In my case it has some damage but still seals ok. I may need to replace them in the future.

One of my canisters must have got a lot of salt water inside it. It doesn't seem to hold the same quanity of metho, and the wicking material seems clumpy. Fortunately I have a spare canister.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:04   #7

Boat: Maxi 95, 31ft

When the stove is not in use, place a piece of rubber or something like that (one is supplied when the stove is new) across the top of the canister to keep the alcohol from evaporating.
johnjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:08   #8

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

My first boat had a really old alcohol stove that worked fine, of course I didn't know any better then. My newest boat, which I don't think I will ever need to cook in, has one that works fine. In the intervening 44 years I found that if you have an old school intact 5 gallon glass water bottle you can put a 1/4 cup of 200 proof stove alcohol in it and drop matches into it for a nice light show. The first match though makes a scary whomp. After that, until the bottle gets too hot for air to reenter, you get nice little displays that some look like the auroras borealis or our favorite is the flaming blue rising pizza. Stand back at first until you learn to trust your bottle.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:09   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You have an ORIGO single burner, likely the 1500 model. It is an excellent stove. Take a little steel wool and rub the rusty spots. In 15 minutes you will have it looking like new. Did I mention its a great stove?

I bought a similar one at a yard sale, and cleaned it up. Mine looked worse than yours when I started. Great stove. Love it!

If you insist on replacing it, be sure to offer it cheap to some other sailor...it is NOT garbage. A new one will cost you a couple hundred dollars. As stoves go, not expensive.

No reason to avoid cooking aboard...that is a great stove. Cooking and eating aboard your boat is a great source of fun and satisfaction. Its economical too. ENJOY!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kiersten sailing 377.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	165538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Joshua Sailing 041.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	165539  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beluga 146.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	165540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beluga 142.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	165541  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:15   #10

You are missing the metal "grill" that goes on top. It holds the pot/pan off the burner. Its removable for cleaning. I bet its on your boat someplace, and you just didn't know what it was until now.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:24   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Years ago I was happy with a 2 burner gimbaled alcohol stove. Today I us a 1 burner propane to supplement rail grill or microwave. For me, alcohol is just too slow.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Years ago I was happy with a 2 burner gimbaled alcohol stove. Today I us a 1 burner propane to supplement rail grill or microwave. For me, alcohol is just too slow.
I wouldn't expect speed to be an issue for a group of people who travel around at 5mph.

ALSO...as discussed in several other forums, the fuel reservior on the origo heats up, to preheat the fuel, and develops a bit of pressure. The end result is a n alcohol flame which is hotter than most other alcohol stoves, and is excellent for most cooking. The notable exception is cooking with a large WOK.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:49   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
Looks like unpressurized alcohol stove. Unless rusted out, do not see how it could fail. Add methyl hydrate, light and 45 minutes later your kettle will simmer.
Yep, that morning cup of coffee takes a long time. They do have a distinctive smell which I don't find offensive but that might be that i remember it from childhood.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:05   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Not all sailors move around at 5 mph.
Most measure it in knots, and I prefer propane for cooking.

Can you even make popcorn on an alcohol stove? Just asking.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:27   #15

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9

We have the two burner Origo stove. It works great. We cook everything that we would cook at home on it. We as well bake bread on it with an Omnia stove top oven. It is inexpensive to purchase and use, as stated above it is extremely safe to use, any fire (although unlikely) can be extinguished with water. Propane burns a bit hotter, but is more expensive to purchase, install, and use. Our two burner Origo is original equipment on our boat, which is a 1977 model, the Origo stoves with any care at all last a very long time.

Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salvage, stove