Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 15:57   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

I have my first sewing machine (Singer 9020)

.........and a to do list that will keep me busy for a while .

Machine probably not ideal for everything I want to do - but free always works well ....and even if I bugger it up along the way should be a good training tool.

Well, that's the plan anyway...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 17:08   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: I have my first sewing machine (Singer 9020)

DOJ Connies been keeping her Old Semi commercial singer close at hand for more years then I have even known her!! ya just never know how nice they are to have till ya price some canvas work !!! LOL I can't even estimate how much we have saved over the last 30+ years by her being able to make or repair our stuff !! but it's bound to be a Big sum !! More power to ya !! and it's even fun!!(or so she tells me) pretty soon everything will be covered !!LOL Have fun guy !!
Old 05-07-2012, 17:18   #3

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

"first one is free"
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 17:26   #4

Here's some info (see page 134 (second page of the pdf) in regards needle systems, needle sizes, thread and common problems)
http://banner-flag.bainbridgeint.com...ls_133_150.pdf

I'm sure you've heard of Sailrite, but another option is Sunbrella, Marine Canvas, Fabrics, Hardware and Supplies - Sailmaker's Supply
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 17:37   #5

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
.........and a to do list that will keep me busy for a while .

Machine probably not ideal for everything I want to do - but free always works well ....and even if I bugger it up along the way should be a good training tool.

Well, that's the plan anyway...........
Just curious as to what machine you have, i have few projects like weather cloths and an extension on my boom tent> lady at marina says almost any machine can handle that type of job....not too sure. what are planning for yours?

EDIT: nevermind on type...its in the title.....
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:33   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Just curious as to what machine you have, i have few projects like weather cloths and an extension on my boom tent> lady at marina says almost any machine can handle that type of job....not too sure. what are planning for yours?
I did not find Google that revealing on WTF a Singer 9020 was all about. But the advice taken (I am now on a Sewing Machine Forum ) was that the machine I have is pretty much middle of the road / nothing special / does what a sewing machine does . (but it has Zig Zag - which I understand to be useful (important?) for my intended use, although some appear to disagree).

Best I can tell it dates from the early 80's, and leaving aside those who rave about older models being better than the modern stuff (does that sound familiar?!) the "word on the street" is that anything is pretty much good enough to do most things - even if not as well / easily as some......the caveat being that heavier work will probably ruin / burn out a "Normal" machine sooner or later, but at Free that not really a concern for me. I will be starting with the lighter work anyway, mostly because it will be easier!

In any event my machine has been appraised with a market value IRO £20!, so even if the machine goes pop early doors that not such a biggie to replace like for like s/h (or by then I will have a better handle on whether I want to go for something better (Sailrite etc) or simply then be happy spend the money on a professional!).

I appreciate that those who do know better are probably giggling at my naivete as I type . But it's fun being a Newbie .

My Project list (Wishlist?!) sounds pretty much similar to your own - except a bit longer! (maybe 2 years of work, at least at my likely rate of progress).

DOJ's Wishlist:-

For Father (mostly test pieces!)

Repair Boat Cover - lightweight tarpaulin - seperated in half due to the wind, straight down the middle (glue & stitching came unstuck like a zipper!). Nice and straight with appearance not mattering should mean a good test piece.

Repair Motorhome Winter Cover - I think it is Sunbrella or similar. Lots of chafe holes (presently fixed with lots of gaffer tape!). Unfortunately it is pretty much UV'd out - so the fix with the sewing machine might actually finish it off by creating "tear here" lines! In any event only looking for a couple more years, will probably be sold by then (Father the thick end of 80). Again, appearance of the patches not critical - so should be another good test piece.

New Boat Windscreen Cover - Partly to simply shade the wheelhouse, but also to keep prying eyes away from the dock (which has public access). That will probably be somewhere down the list (once me skills improve), as a nice finish would be......nice , albeit functionality more important. But essentially simply a large oblong sheet / tarpaulin with plenty of wiggle room on fit.

For Me! (S/v Wayluya)

Window Shades (interior) - I already have them made from Vinyl offcuts, I just want to edge them with some fabric trim. The Vinyl (2 pieces and some glue) is probably the equivalent of 2 (3?) layers of Denim.

Storage Bags - For a few things that live in the bilges, don't have to be waterproof just makes certain things easier to remove and then wander around with, like a coil of garden hose / a coil of electrical wire (for shorepower). If things go well maybe even a new (larger bag) for an inflatable dinghy. For all these I am thinking of using some old sails I already have. Appearance secondary to functionality. and with the material "free" starting again not a great problem!

Saloon Bunk (Cushion) Covers - The cushions themselves are made of red vinyl, now 42 years old! and whilst a bit faded (and could do with a really good clean) there is nothing wrong with them. They unzip so at some point new foam would be a no brainer (even for me!). But I do want to add some covers (loose fit?) both for appearances sake (I am so so on bright red!) and also so that cleaning is an easy remove and stuff into a washing machine every year (or 3!). I have a couple of ideas on what I think would work for me - will bounce ideas off folks here a bit later, when this project goes "live"!

Repair Winter Cover - It's a heavy tarpaulin. Been onboard all winter for 3 years now and has a few places that need patching. I have done a bit already with needle and thread, I don't mind that - just that a sewing machine would be quicker! and would allow me to customise the fit a bit better (my last tool for that was mainly a hammer! and some pop studs).

Aft Cabin Bunk Cushion - I have 2 already, but am converting the 2 single berths into a double, so will need a double bunk cushion. It will be the only cushion in there so does not need to match the others on the boat. Original plan was to get done proffessionally, but am tempted to have a go myself (with professionally being plan B!). Time will tell how that goes, as not a priority at the moment - I only use that cabin for storage at present.

Sunshade - Really little more than a large oblong tailored tarpaulin over the boom (to make an open ended tent). Am thinking of using an old sail for that (or a lightweight Tarpaulin?), at least for version 1!

Cockpit Cover (aft) - I already have a Sprayhood (Dodger) over the front part of the cockpit (essentially does the same job as a car windscreen!).....but adding a back half means the cockpit becomes fully enclosed (like a tent). Annoyingly I actually have 2 aft cockpit covers already! But they don't fit (came with the boat and probably fitted onto a previous Sprayhood, long since worn out and gone). I dunno whether I will use the sewing machine to "make" them fit or start from scratch. Will decide on that once I get an idea of my capabilities with the Sewing Machine!
Old 06-07-2012, 02:39   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Zig-zag is important to you David. You have been zigging and zagging around the moderators for as long as i have been on here, so most likely a lot longer than that.

Coops.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:42   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Oh, and just to say that I will keep folks posted with progress (albeit that will be slow!) - and that I am starting from a knowledge and skills base of ZERO .

I will even share the disasterpieces .
Old 06-07-2012, 19:02   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The better, well meaning older light duty machines have metal gearing which last longer with heavier canvas. Note singer's last all metal gear machine (in the US anyway) was the Singer Slant 500A, about 1963 vintage, a great machine. Used it today too.

Singer also made a walking foot attachment, that looks like it would work with many different machines out there. Not a true walking foot, but very nice with sunbrella and other slick canvas. Probably rare as hens teeth nowadays, though I have one :-)

Best thing is to practice on scrap material doing straight stitch. Zig Zag is used too. If you can sew a straight stitch , well relatively straight, that's 2/3's the battle. After that zigzag is easy. Like docking, going slow is your friend...

Get a seam ripper too, they rip seams apart, handy all the time.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 21:19   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'm in the middle of a sewing machine purchase. Some tell me it's senseless to get zig-zag, while others say it's good for sail repair. So the way I understand it is that a sail is difficult to get to feed through the throat of a small machine, rendering zig-zag useless. I think I want a walking foot for sure as I have seen bunched seams without. Also I hear a rotary bobbin is the way to go. One machine I'm looking at is a Pfaff 230 (not 130). It's touch buying off ebay, as most sellers pick them up at estate sales and know little about them. So far I think I will be spending $300-$500.
Not to hijack the thread...all the input I can get would be appreciated.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 21:37   #11

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

yeah sewing mach. is a pretty good tool, i bought one new a while ago, just a domestic machine but i managed to push a rug through it, done some poly tarps, takes a bit of a kicking, did all my squab covers in canvas, alas dacron sail cloth is, i think, too damn tough for it so i still have to repair my sails by hand. happy sewing, chaps. (and chapesses)
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 23:21   #12

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I want a heavy duty sewing machine to make things I want around my sailboat. Figure it will pay for itself in the money I save, and I hope to make a little income on it as well.

They sell machines at www.salerite.com. They also have free videos that show how to use the machines.

I will be trying to snag a machine on Craig's list. Can you use the word snag in a sewing thread? Can you use the word thread in a sewing thread? Lol
Old 07-07-2012, 08:09   #13

Zig zag distributes the holes such that dacron fabric is less apt to tear. Think "tear along the dotted line"/ postage stamps.
Also, It is a zillion times easier to use a seam ripper to remove with zig zag than straight.
I have 2 pfaff 130's . One on the boat and one at home.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:48   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The Pfaff machines are great. I had a pfaff 130 and its a workhorse. great machines. The 230 looks to be good too. On singer machines, look for ones from 300 to 500 model numbers. These are the 1950 and 1960 machines with the metal gears.

There are several singer 500's oh ebay at the moment in the $130's. The 500's are all metal with easy bobbin loading, lots of different stitches. Lots more then just straight and zigzag, but really thats all you need. It works well and is a little nicer then a pfaff 230.

Machines with a walking foot are really nice, but lots more expensive. If you can find a singer 500 with the walking foot attachment then your good to go.

The walking foot feeds the cloth straight and constant. With sunbrella, which is pretty slick, its hard to sew straight/even without a walking foot. The material wants to move around too much. Specially with multiple layers.

For home use, a used commercial machine which always includes the table are mounted with an underhung 1/3 to 1/2 hp motor can be had for less then what you would pay for a sailrite machine. It includes a table so not good for most cruisers out there

BTW lots O junk out there listed as commercial that are lightweight plastic machines. Metal (case and gears) is your friend when sewing sunbrella or sailcloth

Salerites are good basic machines with a walking foot. My personal preference would be the pfaff 130 or Singer 500A, Just heavy... The only issue is the motors are not designed for lots of heavy fabric sewing.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:11   #15

Do not get oil on the geared tooth pfaff130 belt. It rots it and they are hard to find

Tags
DOJ, sewing machine