Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2012, 05:34   #31

Re: I Hate my Outboard

I had the same Honda 2hp 4-stroke with the same results. Very unreliable. I sold it with only 10 hours on it and the guy who bought it now won't talk to me even though I told him that it had a mind of its own. Bought a Yamaha and off we went..........
Larmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 05:49   #32
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Are there any outboards made in america today? I think there is a huge difference in quality between a jap made outboard and a chinese motor. Could be wrong though? The japs make a better car then we americans have ever been able to. Sure they do it i Tenn. with american jobs, but its the jap tech and management that makes it quality. When I was 13 and noticed cars it didn't take long to figure out that american car were junk. Jap cars for relieability, German cars for performance. I would buy a german made outboard in a heart beat. I mean the 911 is the greatest car of all time, with the Quattro a close 2nd. VW outboard anyone?
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 06:00   #33

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Are not Mariner to 25hp rebadged Merc's?
Some are. My 2-stroke Mariner 8 is a re-branded Yamaha . . . always easy to start. When it's time comes, it will be replaced with something that doesn't burn gas.
Old 17-04-2012, 06:48   #34

Boat: Seaward 22

My experience is the more you use the outboard the better it runs. I always run my 2 stroke dry if I'm not going to be using it for at least a week.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 07:38   #35

Boat: Aries 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
My experience is the more you use the outboard the better it runs. I always run my 2 stroke dry if I'm not going to be using it for at least a week.
You've never owned a 2HP Honda, have you?
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 07:56   #36

Boat: 73 pearson 35

Problem solved,
For a small fee i will give you and your outboard a time out.
I will put it into "THERAPY" for 3 months and return it to you.Pre-paid shipping of course.
Now you might want to know my qualifacations........
I have NEW spectacle's so my aim is true.
I have a small ball peen hammer
I have a 39oz framing hammer.
I have a 2lb hammer.
I have a 4lb hammer
I have a 8lb hammer
I have a 16lb hammer
Pm me if you need my services.
Mark
Disclaimer........
i am to old to accurately swing last 2 hammers so will supervise the kids doing said "therapy"
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:06   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Don, I'm putting two threads together. On another active thread, you've just confessed that you've been steering the boat ever since you owned it with the wheel lock activated.

Any chance you've been trying to start that poor outboard of yours with the kill switch activated?
Old 17-04-2012, 08:35   #38

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Don, I'm putting two threads together. On another active thread, you've just confessed that you've been steering the boat ever since you owned it with the wheel lock activated.

Any chance you've been trying to start that poor outboard of yours with the kill switch activated?
I think that might actually help with those little 2hp hondas.....
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:47   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I second the Yamaha vote. Outboard tips..
Don't buy 4 strokes unless new and jap.
Single cylinder 4 strokes will be a bigger pain.
Mid 90's yam 2 strokes seem to be real good.
Make outboard #1 on your budget list.
If a outboard has bothered you for a while its your choice to be inconvienced by it.
Last summer found a 92 yam 9.9 and its started 1 pull every day since.
Currently have a Oct 2010 merc 3.5 4 stoke for sale, 1 owner, runs great, 88% of the time. will trade for anchor.
90's Yamahas are amazing. If you can find a garage queen buy it! You dont need no stinking new outboard.... I bought a 25 hp a couple of years ago.. sold because it had "problems" Turns out the water cooling exit hole was plugged with salt! 5 mins to fix.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:49   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i learned to love my outboards only after i installed a nice reliable in line fuel filter and stopped using fuel with alcohol .... just sayin--my newest outboard is my oars---bi-turbo rowing.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:58   #41

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larmex View Post
I had the same Honda 2hp 4-stroke with the same results. Very unreliable. I sold it with only 10 hours on it and the guy who bought it now won't talk to me even though I told him that it had a mind of its own. Bought a Yamaha and off we went..........
i had nothing but problems with my Honda 2hp right out of the box.

My 18 YO Nissan 3.5 still works better then the Honda.
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 09:03   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i learned to love my outboards only after i installed a nice reliable in line fuel filter and stopped using fuel with alcohol
You've never owned a 2HP Honda either, have you?

Mine was mostly an airplane boat engine, and never saw anything but meticulously clean fuel. It was actually fairly happy with 100LL, but went through plugs like crazy when burning that.

When it was running, that stupid centrifugal clutch was making absolutely sure it was never operating at quite the right speed (are we TROLLING or SKIING here??), and when it wasn't running it was leaking.

I think perhaps there's some sort of anti-muffler built in. There's no way that tiny little motor is accidentally that loud. Just like the neighbor kid's souped-up hatchback thingee.

It was light. It was pretty good at not being heavy.
Old 17-04-2012, 09:18   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Just curious, anyone have/see one of those new propane outboards? No ethanol to deal with.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 09:32   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Just curious, anyone have/see one of those new propane outboards? No ethanol to deal with.
nobut....

I grew up around propane-powered pickups and tractors and etc. It's pretty low-density stuff - takes a bigger tank to haul the same gallons, and you burn ca. 25% more gallons per distance/work/hour. At the time it was ca. 20% the price of gasoline and everyone had a tank/delivery schedule anyway, so those weren't really detriments. Engines last longer on propane than on gasoline, and you can go longer between oil changes, and things like carbon deposits just do not happen. If you have ready and affordable access to propane (it's insanely expensive some places), I think the new propane engines might be a good alternative.

"Ethanol," (at least at 10% or less) disregarding any political issues, really isn't bad fuel. There are vapor pressure issues that largely prevent it being a suitable aviation fuel, but those are irrelevant for a marine fuel. It sucks up water, given the chance, so requires extra care in things like managing fuel tank vents. It will eat some rubber quickly - you'll be able to tell by the fuel pouring out by your feet - and some slower, like over a matter or years, usually noticeable by stiffening and cracking. The problem is with crappy, dirty gasoline and small carburetors, not ethanol. I'm not fan of the stuff, but it's not magical, and can be made to work in most applications with a little knowledge.

Unlike the 2HP Honda engine....
Old 17-04-2012, 09:34   #45

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
D.O. suggested electric. A 20 something kid was parked next to me last week. Had sailed a 28ft sloop solo from San Fran to NZ with no diesel or gas, just solar to battery to electric outboard. Had enough solar to power along all day at 3 knots when there was sun was out and 700AH on board in reserve.
Any press on this guy you can link?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard