Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2017, 18:41   #16

Re: Hypalon Dinghy -- Question about Loss of Value.

Tough call.... your boat was not new.... despite its almost new condition it was depreciated. Same with a car... the minute you drive off it's used... Yes a patched boat will have a loss in resale value...

I would have asked for some amount for the loss in value... What that is I haven't a clue.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 19:31   #17

I would ask my insurer to value the damage and act on my behalf.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 19:54   #18

Sure you could just take what you've got but why? If the dink was a few years old and had the normal rash then while it wouldn't please me I'd just be happy with the patch. On a new dink, no I would not find that acceptable. You don't need to get involved just leave it up to your insurance company to get it replaced.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 19:59   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I would get a new one, let the charter company have the repaired one, then you won't feel like you stuck it to 'em.
^^
This would be my first approach but if the other party wants to argue, I would walk away, keep the patched dinghy and use "the patch" as a conversation starter in french bars...

Yes, life is too short to get upset over small matters.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 20:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
^^
This would be my first approach but if the other party wants to argue, I would walk away, keep the patched dinghy and use "the patch" as a conversation starter in french bars...

Yes, life is too short to get upset over small matters.
You are right, life is too short so just let your insurance company deal with it..they are just earning their fee and you don't need to get involved.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:00   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If Pantaenius will handle it for you, let them. A new dinghy is a new dinghy.

If they're not interested, well, we kept a hypalon dinghy alive 5 years past its use by date by judicious patching. So, it really depends on what YOU want.

The guys pierced your dinghy. You decide how much it matters. I think a well done patch with a large patch over will probably last the life of the dinghy. They probably used the Bostik 2 part, and it is excellent glue, as long as it isn't too humid. Some repair places keep the air dry. I don't know about yours.

Good luck with it. Luck is such a blessing!

Ann
Old 11-04-2017, 02:19   #22

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I love the way most of you will forgive and move on. If the charter company wants to compensate you fine but if not ...... walking away is good.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:53   #23

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

To me the biggest issue with replacement is standing in line to register it. Here in the states you have to go to the motor vehicles department. I'd rather have a root canal.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:57   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
To me the biggest issue with replacement is standing in line to register it. Here in the states you have to go to the motor vehicles department. I'd rather have a root canal.
Ha, here in the UK you don't have to register anything under 20 meters long, much less a dink.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:11   #25

The problem in accepting the patch repair reimbursement with no add'l compensation lies in the future. Sure, today you're happy with your insurer and/or agent but if they're bought out tomorrow by someone less customer friendly this "let it go" approach may bite you in the a$$ when another insurer will use every reason to wiggle out from paying you full compensation for some future damage/loss to the dink. If your dink is 2 months old and without any prior patches it is not grubby to expect no more than a 2 months old patchfree replacement. How that is accomplished is the next step in the process.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:31   #26

Your dinghy was no longer new after the first use. It's still the same age, only patched.

Your dinghy is no longer holed...it is whole. You had a pre-holed used dinghy...now you have a post-holed used dinghy.

How much value was lost?

If the loss of value is known, calculate how many bottles of your favorite French wine the money would buy, and ask for the wine in addition to the cost of the patch from the charter company.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:51   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Dinghy with a big patch hopefully in a different colour and blobs of glue around the seams is worth more to you than a new one. Why because it is less likely to be stolen in your travels around Northern Europe. It will only take one light fingered individual with low moral standards to wreck your day as you get back to the dinghy dock and find said dinghy missing.

We have a big 6" x 9" whit patch on a grey dinghy glued on with black sikaflex and sticky black finger prints. Engine decals missing and oily stains on engine leg. Looks dire, never goes missing though.

Life is short, invoice the charter company for your costs to date and go sailing.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:06   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Dinghy with a big patch hopefully in a different colour and blobs of glue around the seams is worth more to you than a new one. Why because it is less likely to be stolen in your travels around Northern Europe. It will only take one light fingered individual with low moral standards to wreck your day as you get back to the dinghy dock and find said dinghy missing.

We have a big 6" x 9" whit patch on a grey dinghy glued on with black sikaflex and sticky black finger prints. Engine decals missing and oily stains on engine leg. Looks dire, never goes missing though.

Life is short, invoice the charter company for your costs to date and go sailing.

Pete
And that's what I decided to do. Just didn't seem right to do anything else. But thanks to everyone for all the input.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:30   #29

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

They way I look at things like this is what would I do if I was instead the offending party? Would I just fork over 200 quid with a handshake orget lawyers, insurance companies etc involved?

Really it is all going to come back to you in the end so why not deal with it as if it was your brother and be done with it.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy