Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2009, 17:25   #1

Boat: Pearson 31-2
How would you do this?

I got a couple of nylon cleats for my water tender but can't decide how to mount them. The boat is plastic and hollow between the skins and the undersides of the bow are all sloped or inaccesable ruling out any kind of backing plate situation. Just screwing them to the thin deck seems like a poor option. Use an adhesive in addition? How would you do it?
Aquah0lic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 17:32   #2

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
That's exactly what I'd do, glue em and screw em. That's gonna be your best bet since ya can't really get ta anything solid. Just check their stability every now and then before tying up.

Cheers

Bill
Old 16-01-2009, 17:38   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Distance between skins?

Long screws, backing plate and locking nuts.

Can't imagine trusting any kind of screw through single layer plastic, 5200 or not.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 17:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Distance between skins?

Long screws, backing plate and locking nuts.

Can't imagine trusting any kind of screw through single layer plastic, 5200 or not.
The top skin is flat up there and the bottom is vaguely shaped like a W. Thru bolts would be exiting the lower skin at extreme angles.

How about some kind of butterfly screw that pops open after it goes through the hole? Ever seen one beefy enough?
Old 16-01-2009, 17:47   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
not only would I want to thru-bolt to backing plates...

...but I'd want to explore ways to fill the void between the skins in that area. Perhaps with thickened epoxy?
Old 16-01-2009, 17:54   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquah0lic View Post

How about some kind of butterfly screw that pops open after it goes through the hole? Ever seen one beefy enough?
Only in substandard metal.

I like the epoxy idea too.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 18:14   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I think you would be well advised to contact the manufacturer or a dealer for advice. Without knowing the thickness and strength of the outer shell we are just guessing. I have never seen a butterfly fixture that would handle the loads imposed on it that towing a dingy would impose. Besides they only spread the load out to 2 fairly small ares. If the material will allow epoxy to bond to it with the epoxy's full strength, then laminating in 2 strong points using epoxy, glass and foam might work. Again, consultation with the manufacturer or their rep. would be advised.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 18:53   #8

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I had a water tender 9.4 I found not even 3M 5200 would stick to it. I wanted to fasten some U bolts in the gunnels i was able to make some backing plates of Starboard and trough bolt but this was a part of the boat where the inner and outer shels were touching so the baking plate squeezed them together. I don't have that boat anymore but if I recall right there are some spots where there are some wood pieces inside which can be screwed into maybe you should check with the manufacturer.
good luck
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 21:10   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41
Try to fill with epoxy.Then drill thru both skins and the epoxy. Where the bolt comes out at an extreme angle make a washer that will fit to the angle of the inside of the hull on one side and then be perpindicuilar to the bolt on the other end. Look for a thread started by Delmahttp://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/cockpit-project-of-an-old-racer-18768.htmlrrey Here are the washers he made. You coul also make them our of wood

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 02:38   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Can you fix the cleat to a larger base plate or bracket...then glue/screw it to the plastic...it'll give you the chance to use more screews.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 03:55   #11

Boat: Privilege 37
Sikkaflex works pretty well on the plastic boats.

I would drill through and fill the void, plus using a backing plate.

I would not be using plastic cleats either.
Old 17-01-2009, 05:16   #12

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Google "Rivnuts" and use James I dea of a bigger top plate.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 06:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Can you fix the cleat to a larger base plate or bracket...then glue/screw it to the plastic...it'll give you the chance to use more screews.
This is about the best idea I've seen so far. Is there something like PVC cement that would slightly melt both plastics then bond them? I've done some acrylic projects where the seams were the strongest area due to this chemical welding process but I don't know how this would work with 2 different plastics.

To those who are suggesting and epoxy fill, it would take several gallons of epoxy to fill this area. It's just not feasable. Plus, I would have to cut a access hole somewhere and I don't want water getting between the skins. I'll post a close up pic of the area later today.
Old 17-01-2009, 08:08   #14

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Water Tender

Aquah0lic, The watertender is HMWPE (Polyethelyne) which is about the same as a milk jug or fuel jug. Little if anything will stick to it. If you take a piece of plastic (like a piece of thin starboard or kitchen cutting board) and attach the cleat to it with flush fasteners then you can heat the cleat assembly with a heat gun and conform it to the surface you wish to place it. I would then use SS poprivits (3/16) or Rivenuts (Similar but threaded) to hold the assembly in place. Some silicone or Poly sulfide will help seal like a gasket but will not likely adheare. You might try on an old plastic jerry jug. Take your time heating the starboard (1/4") and it will eventually bend.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote