Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2010, 15:03   #16

What she said.

My parents were born in Panama City. I still have family there. We don't go to Colon by choice either.....
Old 14-08-2010, 16:27   #17

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataWorld! View Post
Everywhere. I am in the process of planning an around-the-world trip, to take 5 or 6 years. This dinghy will be my new car, and I'm a young guy who likes fast cars, thus the large outboard! I am thinking about something like lojack, only for marine use. Does anyone know of such a thing that would be usable in as as many countries as possible.
In that case, there is nothing you can do to a dinghy by way of appearance that will ensure it isn't stolen. Same with the engine. All that is required is some common sense. Buy a dinghy that will row well and leave the engine off whenever possible. Never leave the dinghy in the water. Don't bother locking it - that will only piss them off. Always ask the locals what the safest thing to do with it will be. We cruised extensively and never had a problem but certainly know others who have.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 16:31   #18

My reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
In that case, there is nothing you can do to a dinghy by way of appearance that will ensure it isn't stolen. Same with the engine. Leave the engine off whenever possible. The dry weight of the engine alone is 214 pounds.

Never leave the dinghy in the water. I plan on installing electric winches on the davits, to make it easy to always lift it out of the water.
WhataWorld! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 17:52   #19

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36
Me thinks that a center console dink with a 214 lb outboard will be pretty distinctive in most any anchorage.

Daz
Pau Hana Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 18:02   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I would think that a couple of highly visible contrasting stripes and maybe a bright decal on the engine would make it distinctive. Could be done tastefully. Take pictures with you in the boat so you have something to give to the authorities along with documentation if the boat is stolen.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 18:25   #21

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJensen View Post
Me thinks that a center console dink with a 214 lb outboard will be pretty distinctive in most any anchorage.

Daz
Well put.

Having nice stuff, and then trying to make it unattractive to a thief just does not seem to flow very well. The issue of security it would seem better focused simply disabling it or something.
Old 14-08-2010, 18:32   #22

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Sorry, but that dinghy is going to be a real thief magnet!!
Paint it all a nice bright yellow? Like a corvette.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 18:39   #23

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataWorld! View Post
Some advice I read on this forum was to paint your dinghy distinctively to help deter thieves. I have settled on getting a Apex A-13 tender center-console dinghy with a 50 horsepower outboard (see attachment one). How would you suggest I modify it to make it distinctive? Keep in mind, I want it to still look nice and tasteful, so no razzle-dazzle camouflage (see attachment 2)
What makes you think thieves don't like "nice and tasteful" as well? If it looks good to you, it will look good to them.
Old 14-08-2010, 20:09   #24

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, Mates, When a dinghy is "pinched" or stolen here in N.Z., often the thieves just want the outboard and the dinghy is quicky discarded. We don't use our own boat name on the dinghy as it helps to hide the fact that we are ashore to others. We also bring our dinghy up on the davits every night (also keeps the bottom much cleaner.

A heads up to fellow cruisers clearning into Opua. Dinghy's occasionally get pinched. The thieves will just cut the painter off from your boat under the darkness of cover, toe it ashore and take the outboard. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 20:34   #25

I think I'll get some heavy duty chain and lock, haul it up on the davits whenever I am back at the boat, and put movement actuated lights on the back of the boat. Also, a hidden fuel cutoff switch.

Any other ideas?
Old 15-08-2010, 04:53   #26

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
You are all missing the point (except for MarkJ) the thieves do not want your dinghy - they have no use for it. What they want is the outboard motor. The outboard motor is cash in their pocket to buy drugs.
- - The thieves steal the dinghy and motor only to get the motor away from the "scene of the crime." Once they are safety away they remove the motor and sink the dinghy; cut it loose to drift; or beach it in the mangroves.
- - And here in the eastern Caribbean the outboard motor thieves do not get cash for the motors - the "fences" pay them directly in drugs. The center of the operation in the Windward Islands is St. Vincent. From Trinidad north thieves are very democratic - they steal cruiser's motors and local fisherman's motors - take them in tramp steamers up to St. Vincent for a direct exchange for "x" kilos of drugs. The trade is so well established that it is commonly referred to in the local newspapers and even the local island police will advise you that if you want to get "your" motor back you have to go to St. Vincent and buy it back. Currently the situation is so well established that the main island of St. Vincent is off-limits to bare-boat and other charter boats.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 10:42   #27

Well, thieves do after the easiest target, so does anyone have any ideas on how I can make stealing my motor more hassle that it's worth? I'd think the sheer size and weight of it would help. Just make sure other people's dinghy motors are the easier target to thieves, right?
Old 15-08-2010, 11:26   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i converted my beautiful shiney and fast engine for a 3 1/2 hp nissan and a roll up so i dont have the attraction for the rats. a blessed advantage--i can lift the rig myself without need for any outside assistance. i use a kayak i can lift by self. also can pack in that kayak so i can use it for provisioning. and exploration.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 11:36   #29

Boat: Leopard 47
I have read your posts in a few other areas and have noticed that you are planning on a Lagoon 440 or new 450. I know you like "fast cars", but I would reconsider how much weight you're putting on a 44' cat more than worrying about having it stolen. The lagoon 440, is not a particularly fast boat to begin with and with the type of weight you seem to be planning to add, you'll be looking at monohull sterns most of the time. I'd go light and go fast, 25 HP on a dinghy is plenty and still allows you to remove it if necessary. 280kg is Lagoon's max suggested weight on the davits, but planning on cruising the world with anywhere near that much weight on the stern seems risky. Please see earlier posted replies "Lagoon quote the same restriction for the 420 and we completed an Atlantic Circuit with approximately 200kg strapped to our davits. I wouldn't want to sail with anything heavier. The length of our RIB (4.2m/14ft) was not a problem on the 420 (more of a problem on the 440, I think), but the weight was a concern, especially in heavy seas.

When on a passage, we also demounted the outboard (not easy, even with a 15hp outboard - 40hp would be almost impossible) and helped to support the davits with lines to the top of the bimini posts. In fact, on a passage we trussed the RIB up so it didn't move at all in any direction. You sure don't want 360kg swinging around at the stern.

I have seen two 440s with twisted davits, so the danger of damaging them with 360kg hanging off them is considerable.

My view is that sailing any kind of passage with 360kg hanging off the stern is asking for trouble. For a start, you want to minimise weight at the stern for safety and performance reason, so I think you'd be crazy. In calm conditions (and I mean calm), you would probably get away with it as a one-off.
hawaiisun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 12:08   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I am in the anchorage outside of Panama City at Isla Perico. In the past couple of weeks a dink was taken in the night. Get the dink out of the water is the first step nightly. Even in daylight I put the dink between the sterns so I can hear the slap of it's bottom on the water.

After the theft of the dink. One cruiser spot painted his dink in flourescent pink. As already pposted it's the motor, and not the dink that is wanted. What is going to keep the thief from just painting it themselves?

I also have to agree that's way too much dink if those are the boats you are looking at. You will most likely want push button to raise it, more weight!

My wife lifts our dink up onto the stern platform with the main halyard, and a 1" piece of stainless tubing. She's less than 4'9", and manages well. It's a 12 ft. Caribe with floor & 15 hp Mercury........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote