Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2010, 18:52   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
How Much Weight Is Too Much ?

I have a 10' roll-up inflatable dingy. I have no davits so I wind up towing it wherever I go. I'm a pretty fair hand with a TIG machine and fab work, and I'm thinking about building a set of dingy davits/solar panel holder. My concern is weight.

The boat is a CAL28 (Lear-Siegler) Can the boat handle 300# of dingy/motor/gas/panel/ and davit? Even if I remove the gas and motor (which is a PITA that I'd like to avoid) I'm still going to be in the 150-200# range.

At rest she sits a little lower in the stern, but "levels" out under sail.
Old 24-09-2010, 19:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
That's going to change the boats trim some whether or not the boat can handle the weight. Put some weight aft and see if the change in trim is acceptable. Work out an equivalent moment arm measured from the boats approximate location of center of buoyancy.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 19:05   #3

A 10' dinghy on Cal-28 davits? No. Unsafe. Ungainly. Unreasonable. You need a much smaller dinghy (6') or a much larger yacht (50'). Tow it. That way you can cut her free when things go bad.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 19:19   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
A 10' dinghy on Cal-28 davits? No. Unsafe. Ungainly. Unreasonable. You need a much smaller dinghy (6') or a much larger yacht (50'). Tow it. That way you can cut her free when things go bad.
Yeah, kinda my thoughts as well... thanks
Old 24-09-2010, 19:24   #5

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
I tend to agree with the others. Try getting two or three friends to stand aft and you will get an idea of how much it might change the trim aft on your boat. I think yours displaces about 7500-lbs or so, and 300lbs would be a very great amount of weight added aft.
Old 24-09-2010, 19:40   #6

Boat: PETERSON 44
Why have a roll up inflatable? Im struggling with this and have one. When I go offshore I deflate it but mostly recently its full of air. It weighs as much as a light dink non inflatable its like a box to row and has no sails. It holds lots of stuff but usually I don't have that much. why I use the inflatable. I have it and it motors well tows with drag. Ideally I think I would bag the inflatabe and have a nesting dink. The inflatable would get un bagged when Im there and the hard dink would get towed or stashed deckside or be in davits. wonder why we are so hung up on inflatables we even inflate non inflatabe hard dinks. Thinking the whole idea of inflatables maybe got screwed up but I still run mine with the really old excellent 2 stroke 8 horse yamaha damn thats a good outboard. Is this getting weird the non deflated inflatable dink?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote