Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 07:57   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: How Much Rode in the Tender?

I figured the grapnel would be a piece of junk, (you get what you pay for, and I found this one ) I guess I need to buy the SS Mantus, cause being able to put it away in the bow locker and not have an anchor sliding around is important to me
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 07:59   #17

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I just checked out the Mantus for the first time. That is a mean looking anchor-

Might want to carry that with you on your way home alone at night from a shady bar.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 08:06   #18

Always use at least 10' of chain with the anchor or grapnel hook. Need that to get some bite in the anchor. For a tender, assuming you will only be anchoring for short periods of time(like hours), 100' sure seems more than enough unless you will be anchoring in more than 20 feet of water. Might go with braided line since it will be be easier to handle.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 08:12   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

someone gifted me a bruce dink anchor. i also have a danforth and a mushroom for dink anchoring. damn i have that one covered. my dinghy will never drag anchor. never ever. however, kids playing in water will move it and play with it.
never anchor so far away from shore you have to swim with your cell fone to the dink... watched that happen.
i prefer to use a dink anchor to keep off riprap of the landing wharves. even tho i have a rigid dinghy--wb10, it is useful in htat case.
the length of line keeping your dink to its anchor is all personal experience and local need basis. one answer willnot relieve your curiosity, as all dinghy landings are not equal.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 08:32   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

On our all aluminium dinghies (we have two) we use small genuine Bruce anchors. I believe the new Mantus dinghy anchor is far better. We used the use folding grapnel anchors but found them just about useless. We have five meters of stainless steel chain per dinghy (5mm) and 30 meters of nylon braided line which I think is 6mm. I recall it has a breaking capacity of around 900kg. The snmall Bruce anchors are not very good but I have been told the new mini-Mantus is very effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
If you only anchor very near the shore, to avoid puting the boat on the rocks, I can see that 30 feet could be enough. I can also imaging that if waters run deep, 100 feet could be a better answer.

What do you use? Obviously handling is more important than strength.

I sail shallow waters, so about 30 feet has always served well enough.

Just wondering, since I was working on some ideas for carrying more without big coils or an anchor well.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 14:45   #21

Boat: contessa 32

An anchor that stows well in your dingy is a big plus, esp. in smaller inflatables.
Worth considering a a small drogue that will slow your drift away from land while you mess with your motor to get it running again after a fail. The drogue will be handy for drift fishing and preventing a foul up with the anchor line and of course slowing down your speed over the bottom.

...................................luv you all................mike........................... ...........................
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 16:28   #22

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I used the mantus dinghy anchor and rode the last two months in the Bahamas. An excellent anchor. Replaced a claw that dragged. 50 St of rode and no change was the standard kit and worked well. Happy with the purchase.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 17:10   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

When I expect deep water or a wind that could take us away towards deeper water, I will take an extra coil of (now ex-) climbing rope.

I simply tie the regular tender rode (which is only about 100' long by default) and the climbing rope together then play out as much line as I actually might need.

But I only needed it once in over 10 years as an emergency, so I guess I am overdoing it.

I think 100' is nearly always enough.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 17:42   #24

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

size of the tender can dictate weight of anchor needed
doesn't take much to hold them in sand
limestone seabed anchors seem to walk around like mudcrabs
comes down to dollars

a house brick with holes in it connected to a short length of
discarded stainless shroud with 100 feet of 6mm Telstra rope
doesn't rust and works fine

2-1/2 lb bruce 3metres 6mm short link stainless 6mm stainless
swivel 50 metres double braid with eye spliced in one end
complete with stow bag (hole in stow bag to pass the anchor
rope through and always attach to anchor point on the dinghy)
works well also

enough rope to reach the bottom and a little bit more
keep an eye on the dinghy
they are like gremlins
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 18:03   #25

Boat: Helia44

We have a 1Kg plastic Cooper with about 3m of 8mm chain and 20m of nylon rope. It holds our 11' RIB firm in a stiff breeze but have not had to experience a squall yet. Nice little package, comes in a nylon bag and stows under in the little bow locker.
Summersail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 18:43   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I have used a variety of available setups depending on the situation from diving off a lee wall to beaching in a heavy surf line.

Wall diving I use a stainless strop to secure to a rock face hole in the wall, test well before diving wall....last diver releases and we drift clear of wall.

In surf...Danforth Anchor and 15 ft chain setup has a fixed rode of 80ft with thimble. (Mantus seems better)
2nd line is lead through large thimble and clipped to bow ring.
Well Set anchor outside of surf line then row back towards beach paying out 2nd line while controlling bow .

3rd line is already attached to stern as beach line which is taken ashore and held, while offloading.
Then 2nd line is pulled in, beach line paid off to pull empty tender well clear of surf line, so tender rides easy while still pointing into swell.

Secure both working lines ashore and you are ready to pull back under control when ready to leave.

This works especially well if you need to make a number of trips back and forth as you can buoy and clip the working lines in place to bitter end of anchor rode....so that only one person is needed in tender and those on beach can handle the working lines.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 19:30   #27

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We carry 50 feet of polypropylene and a cheap knock off danforth. So far, that has treated us well but I can see the benefit of carrying maybe a very long length of 1/8" amsteel blue. You could easily pack away several hundred feet of that in a very small space and it would be affordable. 1/8" amsteel has about the same strength as 3/8" poly.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 04:24   #28

Boat: Currently in between

Tried several different anchors for a PWC in Gulf of Mexico waters. On the west coast of Florida the wind is always (well, almost) out of the west. I would try to set the anchor out of the surf line then let out enough rode to hold the PWC off the beach.

The folding claw type anchor is totally useless in G of M sand bottom. Waste of time and money to even try.

Go look at: Fortress Anchors – The World's Best Anchors! – Commando

Assemble/disassemble quickly and easily, comes complete with 150' of 1/4" braid, 6' of chain, shackle and Cordura bag for storage. Complete system with combined total weight of 8.5 lbs. Originally designed for the military. From Amazon with free shipping for $132 but you can find it cheaper if you look around.

I absolutely love these light weight anchors and in Gulf waters they hold as good as any. I had the FX-7, rated for boats to 27', on a 31' Chris Craft and it never once pulled.

All that being said I went to look at the Mantus and dang, that is one fine looking anchor as well. Price of the SS version, with all the fixin's, (that's Southern talk) could end up being worth more than some of the dinks in this area. Some people would steal the dink just to get the anchor!

Tags
rode, tender