Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2011, 06:35   #16

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
For the two of us, a 20 lb tank lasts an average of 3 months when living aboard. The BBQ is plumbed to the same tank as the stove.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 07:27   #17

Boat: Taswell 49
Thanks for all the responses. We do intend to use a microwave and now that I am reading about it a bread machine. Anyone happen to know how many watts the breadmachines draw at their peak? We have an 800ah house bank and a 2500 watt inverter.

One of the challenges for us is propane storage. The locker on our boat will not hold 20lb bottles. I need to take some measurements but believe it will hold (2) 10 lb bottles. Im hoping based on the above posts that we can manage to get a month out of 20lbs.

My prior boats have all been CNG or alcohol and the cruising has been mostly weekends with a week or two here and there. So I dont have much of a guage.

I have a Hillerange stove with oven that I am hoping can be converted to run propane as I hate to have to buy a new stove. Anyone know of a source for burner orifices or conversion ktis for a Hillerange?

Im also concerned about adapters. We initially plan to cruise the Caribbean and Central America. Are there difficulties getting horizontal tanks filled versus vertical ones? Are there a few adapters I should carry for this cruising ground or do most filling places have the adapters?

I like the idea of being able to screw on a camping gas propane bottle for emergencies but we really like to use the grill so Im pretty sure we will plumb that to the main propane system. Separate solenoids and all of course.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 07:38   #18

The horizontal fill fitting can be uncommon. You'll want to build up an adaptor of your own. You can alter the adaptor as you travel by adding the local fitting.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 07:49   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
Anyone happen to know how many watts the breadmachines draw at their peak? We have an 800ah house bank and a 2500 watt inverter.
Our big Zojirushi (2 pound loafs) has a 600W element. It will switch it on for a second or 2 followed by 5-10 seconds off during the baking phase so I guess it consumes 200W average during baking, 600W peak.

A 2 pound loaf translates to 40Ah maximum, may be as low as 25-30 Ah because most of the time it's just raising the dough.

A thing to watch out for: these machines run a program and there are only few bread makers that will continue the program after a power interruption. I know for sure the Zojirushi does but heard reports some others do as well. This becomes important when you want to switch from inverter to genset (or shorepower etc.) while the machine is on.

This reminds me to post my bread recipes that use beer instead of water

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 07:59   #20

Boat: Taswell 49
Thanks Nick that was precisely what I was looking for. Now I need to try and find conversion parts for my stove. I suspect the stove may have originally been propane but the prior owner converted to CNG because he was afraid of propane. Judging by the quality of most of his repairs and maintennance I can see why he was afraid...

Maybe I need to start a new thread but can anyone speak to converting CNG stoves to propane? My simple understanding is that it requires changing burner orifices but I dont know much beyond that.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 08:16   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
wow. these usage rates are all over the place. It's becoming apparent that some of you dine out more often than others. (And that some of you haven't yet figured out how to use the oven for anything more than storage.)
Old 15-02-2011, 08:18   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This reminds me to post my bread recipes that use beer instead of water
This is me waiting patiently.
Old 15-02-2011, 09:17   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
... I have a Hillerange stove with oven that I am hoping can be converted to run propane as I hate to have to buy a new stove. Anyone know of a source for burner orifices or conversion ktis for a Hillerange? ...
Seaward Products made the Hillerange stoves.
3721 Capitol Ave, Whittier, CA 90601-1732
TEL: (562) 699-7997
FAX: (562) 699-0908
Web ➥ Seaward Products

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 12:27   #24

Boat: a sailing boat
I think Propane and Butane do not give us the same amt of heat (?). I know we use less propane, even if we use the same bottles for both.

Anyway, our use is:

2.5 - 3.0 liters per month (less than a gallon that is),

The above is - two small frame adults, mostly vegetarian food, food cooking every day, + teas / coffees / oven, etc..

This is in the tropics, we will use up to twice this amt in the cold.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 14:14   #25

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think Propane and Butane do not give us the same amt of heat (?). I know we use less propane, even if we use the same bottles for both.
Burning propane generates 12,000 kcal/kg while butane generates 11,800 kcal/kg. It would be surprising to notice the difference.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 16:27   #26

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
"How Much Propane Do You Use ?"

The whole tank?
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 05:06   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Burning propane generates 12,000 kcal/kg while butane generates 11,800 kcal/kg. It would be surprising to notice the difference.
Yes. And considering that I talked Liters while you quote Kilograms ...

I went to spec tables and it seems Propane is slightly heavier per volume, which should furthermore equalize the balance ...

My only guess is that people who fill my bottles mistrust the clear PROPANE sign on them and fill way less butane. Or else they can be plainly cheating me.

My other guess is that I am wrong in my assumption (which are backed by 8 years' worth of pretty meticulous note taking by my first mate). Possible, but unlikely explanation.

Or could it be that my stove is built for Propane and as such uses (wastes) more butane?

Quite interesting.

barnie
Old 16-02-2011, 05:10   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If I'm correct (didn't check this time the surface tension of butane is lower than that of propane. Means high in the mountains no butane cooking.

It also means that you need different orifices. My stove came with both types but not CNG.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 16-02-2011, 05:40   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

It also means that you need different orifices. My stove came with both types but not CNG.

cheers,
Nick.
Must be as you say. We use the same stove / oven for both Propane and Butane without any adjustments. Maybe the stove is meant for Propane and when we use Butane it just does not deliver (it works OK though).

THX for explaining.

b.
Old 16-02-2011, 05:47   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes the differences are small... it's my understanding that the heat output with butane is reduced somewhat with propane orifices... but that would mean it would use more butane with the right orifice... something you don't want

Edit: I'm not sure if a butane regulator is the same as a propane version...

cheers,
Nick.