Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2014, 21:18   #1

Boat: Alan Pape. Ebbtide 33'
How I'm Connecting 2 x Lines ( Jordan Series Drogue )

I have half the cones on a thinner line and the other half on a thicker line. This is how I'mjoining the thinner line to the thicker line. The maillon is rated to 56K. I wonder about the plastic, yet do see people who simply join rope to rope.
Questions, comments welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	87061  
Scare_Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 22:02   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: How I'm Connecting 2 x Lines ( Jordan Series Drogue )

That is not the way shown in the directions. How did you/they come up with that idea? I would never trust that connector, it's improper.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 23:57   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scare_Rab View Post
I have half the cones on a thinner line and the other half on a thicker line. This is how I'mjoining the thinner line to the thicker line. The maillon is rated to 56K. I wonder about the plastic, yet do see people who simply join rope to rope.
Questions, comments welcomed.
Are you sure about the 56k rating of the mallion rapid? Hard to see from the pic but it looks like maybe a 8mm or 10mm. Specs here..
http://www.s3i.co.uk/rapide_link_large_mouth.php

I've used galv quicklinks for decades suspending lighting rigs and scenery for theatre and have a few stainless on the boat, no reason why not to use one. A little tidier than a shackle.

From memory my Jordan has soft eyes cow-hitched together at the same join.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 00:07   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Is there a safe working load or WL stamped on that connector. I have a couple of board rated to 1000 kgs but I have seen others without any markings. I have just measured mine and its 8mm.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 00:15   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Is there a safe working load or WWL stamped on that connector. I have a couple of board rated to 1000 kgs but I have seen others without any markings. I have just measured mine and its 8mm.

Pete
Not very often you see swl's stamped on stainless. Not sure why, such a small market maybe, I've seen stamped maillons as well but not when they first came out. Maybe as they became more standard for theatre type applications where a test cert is needed they started doing them.
Thinking about the Jordan, it might be worth thinking about a dyneema soft shackle. Less metal to be bouncing off the back of the boat as it gets deployed.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 00:44   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Not very often you see swl's stamped on stainless. Not sure why, such a small market maybe, I've seen stamped maillons as well but not when they first came out. Maybe as they became more standard for theatre type applications where a test cert is needed they started doing them.
Thinking about the Jordan, it might be worth thinking about a dyneema soft shackle. Less metal to be bouncing off the back of the boat as it gets deployed.
I suspect the cheap stainless is made in Asia and they don't want to mark it. Thankfully my local chandler takes his time to source stuff that won't let his customers down. Its a family run business so reputation is everything. We do have the equivalent of 'Defender' over here full of 18 year olds who like to give advice, until you ask them what they use on their boat.

I actually use my connector between the anchor chain and the extra 15m of multiplait. The connector is stamped Made in France and a WL of 980 kgs. I am unlikely to need more than this on a 31ft yacht as the bow would be under water before the connector gave way.

However, back to the OP, I wouldn't use this in a Jordans Series Drogue. The only time you are going to use a JSD is when the brown stuff has hit the fan and the whole system has to be bomb proof. I believe a JSD can generate an equivalent force equal to the weight of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Connector.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	87064  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 00:48   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

The cone supplier in England suggested using a cow hitch in lue of eye splicing as the splices weren't available when we made ours.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 05:17   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I believe the main reason for the cow hitched eyes was to reduce chafe. That's going to be moving under a very high occilating load. And the plastic thimbles are (always) nothing more than a joke. I would carefully check the rest of the construction.

I would be very temped top chalenge the maker that it is an improper construction and to do it over. It is not per specifications, and this is one of those times that matters.

Tags
drogue