Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2010, 08:11   #16

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Two major probs with our Caribe

1- Even with motor adjustment and ballast tank adjustment, it has two positions when under power.. Flat and slow... or at an angle and fast... it never planes properly... Although this seems to be common for every Caribe I see under power.. while every AB I see planes well...

2 - The interior is not rectangular like many and instead sharply converging, so we lose a LOT of space that more rectangular boats have.
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 08:12   #17

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Ok I think I might be in love:
Genesis Console | Yacht Tender | Specifications

179 lbs, with mini console!
Can take up to 20 hp... Should be enough power no?
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:28   #18

Boat: contessa 32
Hi: I would consider getting an old beat up skiff ( aluminum?) to carry all you need, will go great with your motor and then leave skiff on your anchor while off sailing ;done it many times myself, just tidy up excess rode with some zip ties and dump excess into skiff when departing.Advantage is that anchor stays on bottom well dug in and your spot is waiting for you when return. It sounds like you are anchored out for longer periods and if so, I wouldnt want to find out the hard way that well dug in anchor was exchanged for a newer untested setting. Of course you might want to add some line if you have all chain or even add a float.Just think of your well dug in anchor as a mooring and treat accordingly. What no second anchor for your outing?
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:39   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post
Two major probs with our Caribe

1- Even with motor adjustment and ballast tank adjustment, it has two positions when under power.. Flat and slow... or at an angle and fast... it never planes properly... Although this seems to be common for every Caribe I see under power.. while every AB I see planes well...

Check your double bottom. It might be full of water! Not an uncommon problem with Caribes.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:24   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post
Ok I think I might be in love:
Genesis Console | Yacht Tender | Specifications

179 lbs, with mini console!
Can take up to 20 hp... Should be enough power no?
Our tender is somewhat like that. It's an Avon 340 Rover Rib with console and 25 horsepower Merc. It's good. It adds a lot of pleasure to cruising to be able to roam around, explore, and cover distance in the tender. You get to see more, and you can anchor out some distance from your landing and it's not a problem. We've had some quite long and interesting trips in our dinghy.

The console makes a huge difference because you can sit comfortably and steer, instead of craning around with your body twisted awkwardly.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:16   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
There are some designs that are classics. I think you want one of those small Boston Whalers. Tough, center console and good sized motor. You should be able to pick up one used. They are ubiquitous.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 18:16   #22

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
What HP is your dink rated for? What about putting a 15 HP on in place of the 10 HP? When we had a similar problem to yours with a RIB rated for 8 HP, a rep from the dinghy company told us we could put a 15 on it safely as long as we didn't make full throttle turns or go jumping off waves or otherwise being foolish.
He was right. We operated it conservatively in general but still had plenty of power for getting a large load up on plane. It lasted fine until we got a bigger boat and bigger dinghy. These were two strokes by the way, not the heavier four strokes.

One problem: When you lend an overpowered dinghy to a friend you need to warn him or her.