Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2016, 14:18   #46

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Hookah ,diy

We are talking about people cleaning their hulls with a hookah!!!! Not freediving shallow water blackouts etc.
You guys make me laugh, don't get in the water, its just to dangerous. Google this topic, every thread ends up here, im not sure if its just people needing to feel important or what.
Please show me some evidence that people like me are dieing using diy hookahs!!
This thread is (was) about discussing what people are using equipment wise regarding hookahs in the hope of expanding my options when it comes to purchasing.
Ive dived in remote locations with all sorts of creatures and currents, cleaning my hull is not dangerous.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 14:43   #47
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Breathing compressed air underwater is dangerous, especially when the one doing it doesn't understand what he's doing. But a fool and his life are soon parted.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 14:58   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Breathing compressed air underwater is dangerous, especially when the one doing it doesn't understand what he's doing. But a fool and his life are soon parted.
So you cant point out to me the high number of hookah related deaths?

Old 25-12-2016, 16:59   #49

Boat: Islander 32

Hookahs, they're legal now in Washington, Colorado and I think Oregon!
Old 25-12-2016, 17:52   #50
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
So you cant point out to me the high number of hookah related deaths?
Do people die while using hookahs? Absolutely. But in your rush to ignorance, you of course, miss my point. The point is that breathing compressed air underwater involves very real and potentially deadly risks and should not be undertaken by anybody not understanding the risks. That you take such a flip and casual attitude about this subject would indicate that you fall into this category.

But hey, it's your life. Knock yourself out, chief.
Old 25-12-2016, 18:01   #51

Boat: Caliber 47

Be careful....Fstbttms is an "industry professional"....just ask him!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 18:38   #52

Quote:
Do people die while using hookahs? Absolutely. But in your rush to ignorance, you of course, miss my point. The point is that breathing compressed air underwater involves very real and potentially deadly risks and should not be undertaken by anybody not understanding the risks. That you take such a flip and casual attitude about this subject would indicate that you fall into this category.

But hey, it's your life. Knock yourself out, chief.
So once again you are unable to come up with anything to substantiate your " im an expert, and becareful or you will die using a hookah" stance! Seriously this is not rocket science. A few basic rules.

You have managed to live this long, therefore how dangerous can it be ?or are you just brighter than the rest of us? And no I didnt miss your point, the need to be an expert!

Yes, of course there is an inherent danger when going underwater 2m breathing compressed air BUT that danger is minimal if combined with minimal education.

There's a inherent danger in most things we do.

Anyway I'll take my flip and casual attitude home and you can keep your" im the leading authority on the use of hookahs" attitude and try to club someone else with it.
Its been fun

Cheers Dale.

Old 25-12-2016, 18:59   #53
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So once again you are unable to come up with anything to substantiate your " im an expert, and becareful or you will die using a hookah" stance!
I never said or inferred that. But I'm somehow not surprised that you resorted to distortions in an attempt to discredit somebody who obviously knows more than you about this subject.
Old 25-12-2016, 19:57   #54

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

ahhhh...another fun thread.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 06:04   #55

I don't listen to what fstbttms says because he is an "industry expert." I listen to him because he knows what he's talking about. If you know anything about diving, and read just a few of his posts, that becomes completely obvious very quickly.

But it is not a matter of either hookah diving is horribly dangerous with risks that cannot be managed, or hookah diving is completely safe with no risks whatsoever. Like most things in life, it is in between the extremes. There are risks. There are always risks when breathing compressed air underwater. These are risks that can be managed quite easily, if you get a little bit of basic education.

The greatest risk, as anyone who has ever taken a diving class knows, is holding your breath as you ascend. Even from as shallow as under the hull of the average boat, one can die -- yes, really, DIE! -- from ascending while holding ones breath. Clearly, this is something that anyone using a hookah system, at any depth, should be aware of.

Is it really that difficult? Is there really anything to argue about here?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 06:18   #56

Boat: Caliber 47

I for one, once I got over the condescending tone, have learned a lot !
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 07:27   #57

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Its just really a common thing- its in so many things nowadays. You've gotta take this class, you've gotta pass this test, you've gotta have this license........... All to make the insiders, the teachers, the testers, the government officials feel important with some sort of special knowledge.

The truth is that this knowledge like so much else is widely available on the internet and anyone can learn it and do it. You have to want to learn, you have to want to find out the knowledge and you have to want to do the research.

You can. Anyone can.

Just do it.

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 13:20   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I don't listen to what fstbttms says because he is an "industry expert." I listen to him because he knows what he's talking about. If you know anything about diving, and read just a few of his posts, that becomes completely obvious very quickly.

But it is not a matter of either hookah diving is horribly dangerous with risks that cannot be managed, or hookah diving is completely safe with no risks whatsoever. Like most things in life, it is in between the extremes. There are risks. There are always risks when breathing compressed air underwater. These are risks that can be managed quite easily, if you get a little bit of basic education.

The greatest risk, as anyone who has ever taken a diving class knows, is holding your breath as you ascend. Even from as shallow as under the hull of the average boat, one can die -- yes, really, DIE! -- from ascending while holding ones breath. Clearly, this is something that anyone using a hookah system, at any depth, should be aware of.

I agree, basically dont hold your breath. I think most of us that have been discussing hookahs understand this, its fairly simple.
My annoyance comes from these conversations always getting hijacked in this direction as if theres more to it than this.

Old 26-12-2016, 13:40   #59
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My annoyance comes from these conversations always getting hijacked in this direction as if theres more to it than this.
Maybe if you didn't make uniformed statements about risky diving habits, you could reduce your occurrances of annoyance.
Old 26-12-2016, 13:44   #60

Quote:
Maybe if you didn't make uniformed statements about risky diving habits, you could reduce your occurrances of annoyance.
Fstbttms, actually that's not what I do or have done. We've both had our say, you know my views regarding your comments as I know yours regarding mine, how about we just drop it now, as its just become silly. Have a nice day.