Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 23:40   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Wish I had seen your thread earlier John...We live in the same neighbourhood and my Honda 5000 did the same thing. The moisture from our weather caused the brushes to seize in their holder and the commutator to oxidize. I took the end cap only off the end oif the generator and gave it a good cleaning. Then it worked fine...Them I sold it!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 10:50   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha all who responded and read this thread!

I took it to the shop. They wanted $33.50 just to look at it and determine the problem. I was thinking that it could be in the hundreds for repair but a couple days later they called and said it was all fixed and the rest of the bill was another $35. So for a total of $70 the shop guy did what Martin and others had suggested and cleaned the rotor and it worked just great. My brother had suggested this too after I'd taken it to the shop.

Two pluses to this problem was I learned what to do the next time I leave it sit too long without use and the mechanic gave me a new key for it. The old one had been lost and I was using an old Mazda truck key to start and run it.

Thanks for the help and hope this will help any others who might have this problem.

Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda