Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-06-2010, 18:39   #31
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Quote:
Spearfishing. You usually have to go a fair distance to the good reefs and the waters are not always flat.
Hope to never go near anybody spearfishing, not only could I get speared but also the blood in the water from a poor grouper could attract a shark that took a liking to me or my family.

Go far away in a fast dink if you are going to spearfish..Stay away from me..

CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 20:26   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Concerning a dink....We've always used a Fatty Knees.. never had any problems..
Whats different about the Bahamas or the Caribbean that a hard dink wont work.......
Just cruious as I've never heard a statement like this befor....
I would love to have a hard dinghy but one that will carry 4 or more people and groceries would be too big and too heavy for my boat (unless I got some fancy, carbon fiber and Kevlar job that I couldn't afford).

The right inflatable will carry more people and stuff, weigh
less and store more easily than a hard dink of similar capacity.

Then there is the stability issue. I dive a lot and an inflatable is a lot more stable climbing in from the water.

Old 24-06-2010, 04:02   #33

Boat: Trismus 37
I have a 9' walker bay dinghy which is rotationally moulded and is a really sound unit. The thing to avoid is if you are considering fitting the flotation tubes as an extra DON"T buy the PVC ones (1 year warranty) as if you are in any sort of medium to high UVC area they will start to perish as soon as you fit them and will be a sticky mess within 2 to 3 years. I got caught and eventually ended up replacing them with Hypalon ones. When I bought the original set I was unaware that there was a problem with the PVC ones and didn't know that hypalon were available and wouldn't have known the difference anyway. It was a steep and expensive learning curve. "Walkerbay" didn't want to know and after some not helpful correspondence accused me of lying etc. etc. So dinghy good, PVC tubes bad!!! Walkerbay customer services shocking!!!!! But as NZ is so far away they seemed to not care less.
Old 24-06-2010, 08:07   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
The big difference in our 'Lil Dink and the one we would like (and suggested by Rick and others) is the ability to go longer distance.

Our dink goes to shore by the shortest distance and we make sure we anchor so we are close to the dinghy dock. We can't really go exploring if its more downwind than we can paddle back.

A bigger dinghy and a bigger more reliable outboard means one can go explore the bay we are anchored in. say 2, 3 or 4 miles. A HUGE dink with a main OB and a small one if anything goes Kaput can let someone explore hours downwind, upwind or wherever.

A dink that is just good enough to bring home the groceries is fine - we have had outs for 2 years and nealry circumnaviagted. But a boat big enough to be independant of the mothership would be a vast asset that would be worth spending a few more weeks at work beofre you toss it all in and go cruising.

A big expensive dink and a big new expensive engine is a wonderful thing when cruising

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 08:12   #35

If you use your dink a lot, then bigger is better for many reasons. If you just use it to get to shore very occasionally, go small which is stowable. Cruising seems to require a suitable (largish) tender because you spend a fair amount of time at anchor and "exploring" shoreside.

Towing is a drag, davits have many drawbacks. No good solution, just the choice from crummy options. 10'+ RIB with min 8hp.
Old 24-06-2010, 13:02   #36

Boat: Bruckmann 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
If you use your dink a lot, then bigger is better for many reasons. If you just use it to get to shore very occasionally, go small which is stowable. Cruising seems to require a suitable (largish) tender because you spend a fair amount of time at anchor and "exploring" shoreside.

Towing is a drag, davits have many drawbacks. No good solution, just the choice from crummy options. 10'+ RIB with min 8hp.
Where do you stow your 10' rib and 8 hp motor on your 36' boat? I am not against big dingoes. I just can't even begin to think where I would put one.

Jim
Old 24-06-2010, 13:11   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Where do you stow your 10' rib and 8 hp motor on your 36' boat? I am not against big dingoes. I just can't even begin to think where I would put one.

Jim
Can't answer for him, but I stow my 10'2" airfloor on the foredeck in front of the house on my 33' cutter.
It fits pretty good behind the stay-sail, but @ 103 lbs/ 47 kg, it is a bit heavy to flip onboard unless I got a gorilla with me. (Wife does not qualify)

Usually tow it behind, but it will fit on the foredeck...

BIG Foredeck:

Old 24-06-2010, 13:15   #38

Boat: Bruckmann 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
it is a bit heavy to flip onboard unless I got a gorilla with me. (Wife does not qualify)
Smart clarification.
Old 24-06-2010, 15:32   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Can't answer for him, but I stow my 10'2" airfloor on the foredeck in front of the house on my 33' cutter.
It fits pretty good behind the stay-sail, but @ 103 lbs/ 47 kg, it is a bit heavy to flip onboard unless I got a gorilla with me. (Wife does not qualify)

Usually tow it behind, but it will fit on the foredeck...

BIG Foredeck:

kept an inflatable on the foredeck for "1" season... but every time you had to go to the anchor or anchor locker, had to pick it up and slid it down the side.. a real pain.....
the hard dink, sets between the dodger and the mast, bottom side up...
Old 24-06-2010, 20:49   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
had to pick it up and slid it down the side.. a real pain.....
Huh...come again?

Slid it down the side?

Quote:
Smart clarification.
Yup, if she was strong enough to lift and toss and be the deck-boss, I probably would not have married her without a sex-change operation first.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: