Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2017, 15:51   #1

Boat: lagoon 380 s2
Help me hang my dinghy on my davits

Picture says it all. Brand new RIB, never had one before, weighs about 100lb.

Has 2 eyehooks on the transom, and if you can see in the 2nd picture, there is an eyehook in the floor in the very front, with 2 D rings about 8" back on the sides.

Clearly what I have I just jury rigged to get this hung. But I would like to hang this with the motor on it, so that is now 150lbs. It also needs to be up a bit more in the front, and I can't drop the back anymore for clearance reasons.

Do they make pre made straps I can buy at West/Defender etc? If not, what type of line should I use, what type of knots etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170604_120059.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	149248   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170604_120236.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	149249  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170604_120406.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	149250  

jbinbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 16:14   #2

Re: Help me hang my dinghy on my davits

In 3rd pic there is an eye! If that is in the bow inside, that would be where you would attach the front lift no? The 2nd pic looks like you are putting a lot of stress on the glued on eyes ! What is your stern bridle attached to, lifting eyes or something else? You could/can use snaps, attached to the bridle you made, and attach to the tow eyes, giving you more options ? As far as tilt angle to keep the bow up, isn't that just a matter of how far up you winch that davit, versus the rear 1 ?

mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 16:57   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Why not bond some FRP plate, G-10, or Aluminum pads to the inside of the bottom of the hull up near the bow, & then put a few padeyes on them on the floor. You'd want to bevel or bullnose the edges of the pads, & perhaps add a bit of tabbing around their perimeter. Up to you. But if you add such pads, & then epoxy bond the fasteners for the padeyes into said pads, they'll be more than strong enough.

Use 4-bolt padeyes, with a big footprint. So that the load is spread out over a larger area. And pick ones that are "kick friendly", as you'll want the installation of the pads in the bow to be as well. No point in setting yourself up for broken toes.

If you do choose to bond aluminium to the floor instead of composite plate, get some helicoils for the padeye bolts added to the holes for them added prior to bonding the aluminum in place. But I'd go with FRP plate or G-10 personally. Saves the whole PITA gluing aluminum thing.

EDIT: Before you decide where exactly to add the pads to attach the padeyes to, also think through what kinds of items you might put into the dink that it would be good to be able to tie down. Be it scuba tanks, an anchor(s), milk crates full of random heavy gear, etc. And then put in tie downs for everything at the same time you add the padeyes.

Slotted toerail track makes an excellent basis for this kind of thing, as you get so many tie down options with it due to the multiplicity of holes in it. Plus you can use it to lift the dink with. So it's multi-purpose.

Also, try not to attach any metal hardware to the dink's floor that'll abrade the tubes when they're deflated & folded down. Especially when the dink's deflated, inverted, & lashed down to your deck or cabin top.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 17:19   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

Once you get it rigged properly with all the knots etc., you could make a spliced bridle from a single braid like Amsteel. That should allow you shorten everything up a little.
Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 21:37   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hoisting bridles are nice to just snap onto the boat eyes, but you could splice up some soft shackles, and tie (bowlines will do) to them. I would avoid using the D rings, eventually the glue bond will break down. When we made our bridle, we used old line for it, but any reasonable size double braid will do fine, it does not have to be non-stretch, unless you're planning to sail with it back aft for long periods. You should be prepared to have chafe gear for anywhere the inflatable part of the rib touches the boat.

Ann

Jim and I are on land travel in the US.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:16   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

You've gotten good advice above - use the bow ring for hoisting, don't use the D-rings glued to the tubes, and make some neat lifting strops out of dyneema (Amsteel is Sampson's branded version) or something similar. I did pretty much that, except at first I used crimped lifeline wire for the strops. Now I have spliced dyneema, and it's much nicer, with less abrasion.

I generally leave the engine on when I'm sailing locally, and remove it to a dedicated engine mount on the rail when going offshore.

You should also consider some ratchet straps to diagonally brace the dink, greatly reducing swaying that stresses your davits. You can get them with stainless ratchets, and good dacron UV resistant straps - you'll pay a little more, but they'll last longer.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:26   #7

Thanks for the input so far. My concern was that attachment point in the bow, if you can see in 2nd or 3d pic (sorry the pics are sideways, I took them in landscape mode but on the site it must want larger vertical resolution so in the future I will have to rotate before posting) is down low under the tubes, so I was concerned about it chafing. Maybe making a pennant covered in plastic tubing to prevent chafing?

What size dyeema line are you using?
Old 06-06-2017, 10:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Thanks for the input so far. My concern was that attachment point in the bow, if you can see in 2nd or 3d pic (sorry the pics are sideways, I took them in landscape mode but on the site it must want larger vertical resolution so in the future I will have to rotate before posting) is down low under the tubes, so I was concerned about it chafing. Maybe making a pennant covered in plastic tubing to prevent chafing?

What size dyeema line are you using?
I think it's about 6mm, plenty strong enough. I had three strops made, a single piece with a SS ring that attaches to the bow lifting eye, and a two piece strop with another SS ring that attaches to the stern lifting eyes. No need for any tubing, they don't rub up against anything. My lifting falls snap onto the SS rings and I hoist away.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Old 06-06-2017, 10:15   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Norseman 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Dartanyon

Davidhoy or anyone else - when you attach diagonal ratchet straps, where do you attach them on the boat end? To the boat? To the hoists? To the bridle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post

You should also consider some ratchet straps to diagonally brace the dink, greatly reducing swaying that stresses your davits. You can get them with stainless ratchets, and good dacron UV resistant straps - you'll pay a little more, but they'll last longer.

Regards,
David
Dartanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:21   #10

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

My rig is a SS chain between the stern lifting rings and a looped line at the forward center eye. For lifting one davit line to a shackle centered on the stern chain the other to the bow loop. Both davit lines ends with large snap shackles. The davit lines are a rather standard 2x 2 block and tackle setup using 1/4" line. Having the lifts centered required that I prevent rubbing or rotation by using 1/4" shock cord to secure tight to the transom.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:27   #11

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

jbinbi,

You can use 1/4" inch Amsteel = Dyeema and use all bowline knots.

The bow and stern bridal should stay with the boat and just have Stainless Steel Carabiners on each leg to connect to the dingy.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanyon View Post
Davidhoy or anyone else - when you attach diagonal ratchet straps, where do you attach them on the boat end? To the boat? To the hoists? To the bridle?
I attach one strap to the bow lifting eye, then across to the stern rail of the boat on the opposite corner, and likewise from one of the stern lifting eyes to the opposite side on the boat's stern. Cross bracing like this all but stops the dink from swaying from side to side.

-David
Old 06-06-2017, 10:40   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Any good strong sailing line with low stretch will work. Do this anyway to figure the exact configuration that works well. Then finalize something you don't have to adjust all the time.
I made mine custom with vinyl coated wire on two boats. 3 point. Another was custom poly webbing sewn by a sailmaker.
Two eyes bolted thru the RIB transom and used the bow ring on the other end. A lot of strain on the stern so don't use glued on rings for lifting back there. Most of the strain is on the stern due to the engine weight.
Additionally you will sant something to tie the dingy against the boat or pulpit etc. To keep it from swinging fore and aft in a seaway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:11   #14

Got it. Just purchased 50' of 5/16' samson 78. on sale at defender for 0.59/ft. Thanks to all for their advice.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:13   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Drill through the bottom at the bow and attach two "D" rings with backing plates. Put acorn nuts on the bolts on the outside bottom. Seal with 5200. That's what I did with my old AB which only had one ring at the bow. Go to a rigger and get two harnesses made up with ss snap hooks.

Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits, dinghy