Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-08-2011, 17:08   #16

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34, "Shoal Survivor"
Re: Hand Line or Rod and Reel Fishing

Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
... then move up to what the pros (and 95% of everyone else) uses if you have room onboard to store them!

Complete guide to Baits, Rigs and Tackle

The Cruiser's Handbook of Fishing
So true. But in my case I have room for yo-yos and light tackle, and 3-4 trolling rods would be so over the top. Rocket launcher storage on the bimini would result in very short poles!

"Climbing (sailing) is like fun, only different."

Tom Pattey, Scottish ice climber
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 18:02   #17

Boat: Boereal 44

We use 1/4 nylon 3 strand 60 to 70 feet with a 12 foot mono 100 to 200 lb leader. Roller bearing between the two a must and top quality stainless. Nylon cleated to stern with a truckers bungee tied to line. Line has a 5 foot loop of line between the two ends of bungee so fish can pull on bungee. I do keep a pair of gloves ion the cockpit as the mono can do harm to hands.
The only lures I use are hootchies in all colors, they look like squid, no bigger than 5 inches. We buy all our gear at the commercial fishing supply stores in Ballard WA. Heavy duty double tuna hook, stainless and the heaviest ones made or else they will straiten out real fast. That gear win Mexico will land you darado, tuna, Wahoo and bill fish.
Pull your line in at night as things that bite at night you don't want, sharks and pretty good size squid. Know one cruising family who had a hell of a time with a 4 foot squid one night off the California coast. Once they got it in the cockpit they had all the trouble they could handle.
My worst nightmare was half way between Bora Bora and Samoa just before dark when a giant black marlin hooked up and tail walked with great speed right at the stern of the boat. Thought he was coming in but continued past with line bending a stancion before breaking at leader.
Remember you are meat hunting and a hand line makes it easy to pull in any 3 or 4 foot darado, no effort at all.

stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 18:13   #18

I run eight hand lines across the back (catamaran). Once caught 32 tuna (8 yellowfin) in under an hour with 5 Marshallese men pulling them in.
I prefer the hand lines as they are easier to work and bring in the fish. I just pull the line in making a pile at my feet. I unhook the fish then throw the lure back overboard. It never tangles as long as you don't touch the pile of line. I also loose far fewer fish then with a pole. I did hook a black marlin once but not a chance of pulling that on board with a hand line. Pretty certain the marlin thought it had caught a boat.

Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: