Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 12:32   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Good SCUBA eq package deal in USA?

A scuba tank made for the US market will have a DOT certification. A tank made for the Canadian market has a totally different one. Same thing for the EU market. Oz? Dunno, but if it is like most other places, if it does not have the correct certification from the correct domestic agency? You can use that tank as a door stopper. Alu80 tank in the US, $160. Plus $20 annual VIP. Plus $50/ five years hyrdo test, so it is $30/year to own, average, above the cost of the tank. Versus $10 to rent a full tank, only $4-5 more than the cost of each fill anyway. Six dives a year and moving to different locales? RENT A TANK. It will be cheaper both long and short run. If you must have a tank on hand all the time...worry about that once you know where that will be. Alu80's aren't the answer for everyone, but they own the US market because they're dirt cheap compared to anything else. So when someone says "cheap", that's what the choice will be.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:36   #32

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Not really.....

I only used my scuba gear once since putting on board and that was not by plan or desire, just the necessity of recovering my propeller
I use it little too. I only do a few sport dives per year. The main use has been hull cleaning. I find snorkelling gives 80% of the fun of diving and a it is a lot less hassle.

I've not needed it yet, but there may come a time when the gear is indispensible. To sort out a major anchor tangle for example or to cut away a big fishing net from the prop. Having it give a peace of mind. I've used the compressed air a couple of times for unblocking pipes. It could also power an air gun. Lots of uses.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:06   #33

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
A scuba tank made for the US market will have a DOT certification. A tank made for the Canadian market has a totally different one. Same thing for the EU market. Oz? Dunno, but if it is like most other places, if it does not have the correct certification from the correct domestic agency? You can use that tank as a door stopper. Alu80 tank in the US, $160. Plus $20 annual VIP. Plus $50/ five years hyrdo test, so it is $30/year to own, average, above the cost of the tank. Versus $10 to rent a full tank, only $4-5 more than the cost of each fill anyway. Six dives a year and moving to different locales? RENT A TANK. It will be cheaper both long and short run. If you must have a tank on hand all the time...worry about that once you know where that will be. Alu80's aren't the answer for everyone, but they own the US market because they're dirt cheap compared to anything else. So when someone says "cheap", that's what the choice will be.
OK, I am sure recreational divers have a good idea where they will be, but those who may have the equipment for emergency repairs, etc. do not. Often one tank, used judiciously, may do in these situations.

But the post indicates an interesting question aside from the economics and availability: If the tank is, say U.S. DOT certified, will the Canadians, the Ausies, or and/or the EU also certify it for a price? If so, what price? Or is it only the manufacturer who can afford the costs by spreading them over many tanks?

Last immediate question: What is a "$20 annual VIP." The coluor of the smilie is due to a lack of air.
Old 10-08-2016, 13:10   #34

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If its a 3500 PSI tank, then it is a "true" high pressure tank and those are rare, most "HP" tanks are really 3442 pressure and are known as exemption tanks. Common to fill them to 3600 anyway, never, ever heard of a single failure
A true HP tank also I believe the valve is pipe thread and not machine thread like all others, not sure but there is a thread difference

You are probably right: it is rated in bar, not psi, and was an odd number. At the moment it is too hard to get to it in order to check. It is a Faber tank, and I see that they are selling directly into the scuba trade in addition to proprietary labels. I might contact them to see if they will put a DOT stamp on it - a new one is around $400. It is a very nice tank, as it is compact and I think lighter than the aluminum ones. I just can't get it hydro'ed.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:14   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
But the post indicates an interesting question aside from the economics and availability: If the tank is, say U.S. DOT certified, will the Canadians, the Ausies, or and/or the EU also certify it for a price? If so, what price? Or is it only the manufacturer who can afford the costs by spreading them over many tanks?
Good question. I doubt that anyone but the manufacturer can make the certification. Whether they can needs research.

Quote:
Last immediate question: What is a "$20 annual VIP." The coluor of the smilie is due to a lack of air.
VIP=Visual Inspection Program. Scuba shops want to have a visual inspection every year plus the 4/5 year hydro.

Greg
Old 10-08-2016, 13:24   #36

Boat: Catalina 42

Mark,

Leisure Pro has served me well over the years. If you're still in New York, their store is at:

Leisure Pro
42 West 18th Street, 3rd Floor
New York City, NY 10011

neflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:27   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It would seem the tank is a small amount of the diving gear. Might just be good to buy one where you are. Trying to get one certified someplace else seems like more effort than it is worth. It is fighting city hall. No one can tell you anything.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 13:51   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The only way to get a certification for a tank, is for the manufacturer to apply to the regulating agency and submit samples and test results, AFAIK. I doubt any of them is interested in issuing waivers for odd lots of gear to individual owners.

In the US the dive industry is rightfully afraid of litigation and focuses only on profit. (Rightfully afraid because they promote unsafe but profitable practices. Like not using nitrox "premix", so equipment used for nitrox has to be oxygen cleaned for their pure oxygen shot, a totally needless risk. And nitrox as a standard, instead of air, would benefit dive safety for most divers.) Generally, divers fly when abroad, and shlepping around tanks is not practical. Even without the TSA getting in the way. With the TSA...really impractical.

So very little market exists for an international standard for tanks, even if the technical issues are all the same.

VIPs are simply a rip-off in the US. Not that a tank shouldn't be inspected once in a while, but $20-25 is a bit excessive. Especially when that is immediately after a hydro test, and the US DOT requires a VIP by the hydro tester as the first part of a hydro. (The dive shops say the hydro shops don't know how to do a VIP properly. But somehow, they think the hydro itself might be good enough. Right.)

And then there's the mystery of how every dive shop that "fails" a VIP, isn't the shop that caused the contamination and failure. Like the children of Lake WoeBeGone, every one of them is way above average.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 14:01   #39

I would just go to a local dive shop. Most will give you 10 to 20% off if your buying a full setup. You get to try it on and in most cases use it before you buy. My local shop also only stocks the stuff that sells. Weeding through all the junk equipment online is pain.

I feel much better about buying my life support equipment from someone who uses and services the gear. If your a heavy user you should still get 10 years out of good equipment. Not worth bargain hunting in my opinion.
dave948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 14:12   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I do my own VIP's
Seriously, order the stickers off of EBay. I did that after discovering the local dive shop idiot put silicone grease on all my tank valve O rings on my O2 clean tanks, which meant the tanks had to be tumbled, the valves removed, taken apart and ultrasonic cleaned.
It is a money making proposition, nothing else. The person doing the Hydro knows what they are looking for, they look at the tank threads etc.,kid at the dive shop has been told look down the hole and see if you see water.
Since then I only get my fills at a few cave shops or like Fill Express, they were a whole different world than most dive shops.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 18:01   #41

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Mark,

A quality Hookah set up with 100ft of hose will best serve your needs. Good down to 50ft, a 12v set up will work just fine off your dinghy battery. Hull cleaning is actually easier to do using hookah rather than bottles. The buoyancy vest and bottles become cumbersome whilst hull cleaning, plus you'll end up going through a tank quicker than you think because your aerobic system will be in a higher gear doing work.

I usually just put the compressor and hose into the dinghy, motor over to where I want to dive, drop the grapple anchor, attach the compressor to the dinghy 12v, put on a few weights and I'm good to go down to usually 40ft for an hour.

I also have a tank set up onboard which rarely gets used except on organized group dives.
Sounds good - what compressor etc do you use?
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 18:08   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I do my own VIP's
Seriously, order the stickers off of EBay.
OK, that is too funny. As little as 60¢ each. Great idea.

Quote:
kid at the dive shop has been told look down the hole and see if you see water.
I think the larger issue is the interior coating coming off, and potentially blocking the screen at the outlet. Of course that is likely caused by not drying the compressed air, and thus getting moisture inside the tank. A lot to be said for DIY safety checks...

Greg
Old 10-08-2016, 18:40   #43

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Also check divers direct for inexpensive gear.
As far as service goes, if you can maintain a cruising boat you can maintain a BC and Reg. Key factor is a fresh water rinse and dry after each day of diving. Setting intermediate pressure is easier with a gauge but even without it you can get it pretty close by "feel".
(Okay now everyone dump on me about how dangerous this is. I've been doing it for 20 years and never had an issue.)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 01:05   #44
Marine Service Provider

If you are traveling the world, you can just invest in your own bottle filling compressor and you will not have to worry about the individual country's regulations. You can get a brand new compressor for $2900.

rcontrera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, scuba