Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 09:47   #1

Boat: MOODY 36
Glue for inflatable dinghy

Hi there ! I have a inflatable boat, unfortunately, a few days agoI have found out the dinghy's bottom was unglued[emoji1] . any advice which glue to use? I am sending pic...

Sent from my Lenovo S90-A using Tapatalk
olegmenshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:12   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Glue for inflatable dinghy

Well, first you must know if PVC or Hypalon.
Looks like PVC, but you must be sure, then buy the specific glue for inflatable boats for the correct material either PVC or Hypalon, I wouldn't try anything from a hardware store.
I'd try to find a pro who does this if possible before going the DIY route.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Second what A64 said. You really need to know if the dinghy is made from PVC or Hypalon. There are very different types of glues made specifically for each material. If you get the brand and model of your dinghy that will probably help you find out if you don't know.

That being said, if you can't determine what material, you have no other options and are willing to take a risk, I did a repair on my dinghy using 3M 5200. It is very messy, difficult to work with, takes a long time to cure so you have to clamp the parts together overnight and not use them for another day or two and if you screw up the repair you will probably not be able to remove the 5200 and try again.

I have only had my repair done for a couple of months but so far, so good. Note my damage was not in an area as critical as your dinghy but just a loose rub rail.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:04   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Hypalon glue will do hypalon and PVC. PVC glue will only do pvc. Flexset glue will do most anything.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-03-2016, 05:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

How to Tell if PVC or Hypalon?

Hypalon
Seams on hypalon boats are glued. They appear much flatter in profile than PVC boats. The seams are simply overlapped and glued. Check around the seams and you will most likely see traces of excess glue that has seeped out. Hypalon boat manufacturers use a 'contact cement' type of glue in their seams. PVCs are not glued.

PVC
Seams on PVC boats are heat welded. They are 'thicker' in profile than Hypalon boats. Often the seams are covered with a strip of material which makes it difficult to see the heat welded seam. But look around to other areas of the boat and you will most likely identify the heat welded seams.

Find a small area on the boat that is hidden from view and apply a small amount of MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), Acetone, or Xylene on a rag; and rub the test area.
If area becomes sticky, if the top colour runs, or the surface of the material feels tacky, then the material is most likely PVC.
Hypalon will leave an oxidization and maybe some colour on the cloth; but the material will not be affected.

If you can see the inside of the tube (through the valve) - Hypalon is a dark grey or black on the inside. PVC is the same colour on both sides.

Lightly sand the material.
Hypalon will matt down and produce a dust.
PVC will just scratch. There will be no difference in colour.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:12   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Hypalon glue will do hypalon and PVC. PVC glue will only do pvc. Flexset glue will do most anything.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

I didn't know that, I thought PVC glue actually melted the PVC, like PVC pipe cement does?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:20   #7

You might consider a 2 part cement called MR STICKEY.

Have used it for many marine repairs...even in wet conditions. Hardens yet stays somewhat flexible. Did repairs on an AVON and BRIG inflatables.

Cemented electrical wire to through hull speedometer fitting, etc.

Worth a try?

Dean
Dean Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:59   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Although not suitable for a big gluing job like mentioned in the OP, I have used TEAR-AID successfully on smaller damage to my dinghy. In particular, I had several tiny holes in the high pressure inflatable floor. I cut some patches out of TEAR-AID, and it was fixed. Now I keep a few strips of TEAR-AID in my go-bag on the dinghy all the time.

There are two flavours of TEAR-AID, one for hypolon and one for PVC.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:16   #9

Boat: Hunter 30

I have a friend who glued his with 5200. Looks like hell but still holding a year later. No one will want to steal his dinghy.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:22   #10

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

look it up on youtube. A very good repair video, glue comes from sail rite? I think, video will tell all you need to know.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:37   #11

I used 24 hour 5200 to glue old fittings off another RIB onto a RIB i currently use.I can lift the 100lb RIB up by any of the fittings.They have been on for over 5 years.I tried PVC glue and hypalon glue and both only lasted less than 3 months in the sun.I plan on painting my RIB with a rubberized gray paint soon.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:49   #12

Boat: Shannon 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Although not suitable for a big gluing job like mentioned in the OP, I have used TEAR-AID successfully on smaller damage to my dinghy. In particular, I had several tiny holes in the high pressure inflatable floor. I cut some patches out of TEAR-AID, and it was fixed. Now I keep a few strips of TEAR-AID in my go-bag on the dinghy all the time.

There are two flavours of TEAR-AID, one for hypolon and one for PVC.
I used TEAR-AID for minor repairs. After ~1 year in the sun the outer plastic layer came off, but the "gluey" part was still holding. I used both contact rubber cement and 4200 for repairing a Hypalon dinghy, and both look not so great. I didn't mask off the edges very carefully. The rubber cement yellow color peaking out looks worse than the white 4200. I would have used 5200 but the 4200 had a fast drying option. If I cared about appearances, I suppose I could have picked off the rubber cement excess more readily. As another post says - at least now I have little fear that someone would steal my dinghy if there were other options!
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:18   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker37 View Post
I used 24 hour 5200 to glue old fittings off another RIB onto a RIB i currently use.I can lift the 100lb RIB up by any of the fittings.They have been on for over 5 years.I tried PVC glue and hypalon glue and both only lasted less than 3 months in the sun.I plan on painting my RIB with a rubberized gray paint soon.
Good to hear this since I used 5200 for a dinghy repair.

I needed to reattach the rubrail to my Hypalon dinghy. Confirmed the rubrail is PVC so was a bit concerned about what to use. Started a thread on CF and called all the dinghy cement and adhesive producers. Finally decided to try Marinetex Flexset.

That seemed to work OK (so far) but was very expensive and didn't really cure very quckly so required long clamping time. After I ran out of Flexst on hand I switched to 5200 to finish. It was a lot messier but same curing time, a lot cheaper and seems to be holding better so far.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:52   #14

On the various brands of hypalon dinghys I have owned over the years I only have had good and stable repairs with well prepared ( cleaned and sanded )surfaces and TWO PART GLUE from w. marine or a specialized dealer.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:05   #15

Boat: Victoire 1122

Advice: Contact the manufacturer and ask there for service; this is rediculous! So far there will be no service, take the glue to restore your shoes with. Works great; but it will be difficult to get your dinghy watertight again at the points connecting to the Original glue.
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, inflatable