Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 17:25   #1

Getting the dinghy onboard...

What is the usual method for hauling your dinghy onboard? I'm probably just going to get a good 4-man inflatable with a small outboard. My boat is probably going to be a Com-Pac 35. It's a mono-hull.
gobi1570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 20:11   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Take off the engine. Then attach a halyard to the painter and lift the dink on to the bow. Easy peasy.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 20:34   #3

Another crazy, somewhat unrelated question...has anyone ever taken a small motorcycle along with them so they'll have some land transport wherever they're going. I've got a small bike I'd like to take with, but it seems like securing it, balancing the weight, and moving it on and off the boat could present some big challenges.
Old 12-02-2008, 20:43   #4

Boat: Ovni 445
I think you'd be very hard pressed to bring your bike along. Having said that anything is possible.

After overcoming the big challenges you mention above, also remember that a motorbike is not made for the marine environment and it will rust, quickly.
Old 12-02-2008, 20:52   #5

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I have kept away from the hard bottomed inflatables. I have a 2.4m soft bottom inflatable. I hang the motor (2hp) off the pushpit and just pull the dink over the lifelines and onto the deck manually. Easy. Tie it down and I am off.
Old 12-02-2008, 22:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009 View Post
I think you'd be very hard pressed to bring your bike along. Having said that anything is possible.

After overcoming the big challenges you mention above, also remember that a motorbike is not made for the marine environment and it will rust, quickly.
Ya, that was my other thought. Maybe if I shrink-wrapped it, hehe. Just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox
I have kept away from the hard bottomed inflatables. I have a 2.4m soft bottom inflatable. I hang the motor (2hp) off the pushpit and just pull the dink over the lifelines and onto the deck manually. Easy. Tie it down and I am off.
How sturdy is a soft bottom? If I load it up with fuel and stuff is there a danger of tearing a hole in it?
Old 12-02-2008, 22:38   #7

We carry fuel etc and I weigh 105kg. It is strong. You have to lift it when you get to the beach though. If you pull it across mussel and oyster shells it gets holed easily. Otherwise good cheap dingy. I will be buying another when this one retires. I have had it for 5 years and still good.
Old 12-02-2008, 23:31   #8

Nice, what are the brands of the dinghy and motor?
Old 12-02-2008, 23:42   #9

Boat: columbia 30-Sea Genie
I want to bring my honda 650, it only weighs 500lbs or so. Also my gold dredge, who knows when that might come in handy! and yet it seems that every cu. ft. matters very much. many times I trying to maximize cu. ins. It's so hard to get rid of things. But somehow we'll make this work. Right?
eric58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 00:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobi1570 View Post
Nice, what are the brands of the dinghy and motor?

it is a force 4 made in nz. the motor is a suzuki 2hp.
Old 13-02-2008, 05:35   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric58 View Post
I want to bring my honda 650, it only weighs 500lbs or so. Also my gold dredge, who knows when that might come in handy! and yet it seems that every cu. ft. matters very much. many times I trying to maximize cu. ins. It's so hard to get rid of things. But somehow we'll make this work. Right?
Eric,

I too, thought about this at one time, but more with a small moped.

Here's where you'll run into trouble:

Explain to me how you get the bike off the deck of the boat and ready for riding. (not to mention that weight is too much for a 35 boat) But go through the exercise of how you would get the bike on and off...
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 06:20   #12

Motorized skate boards is the petro way to move on land for cruisers.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 07:02   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I had 2 folding scooters, and gave one away, and one I traded for 2 folding bikes. I don't like the folding bikes, and have resorted to leaving them behind. I find taking local buses, and walking is the way to go. Occassionally I will take a taxi. You can buy a lot of taxi time for the cost of 650 MOTORCYCLE. Not to mention the logistics og getting of, and on the boat, and to shore. Unless you are in a marina, and once again those local buses can be a hoot! I like the idea of the motorized skateboards
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 07:07   #14
cruiser

Yeah, the motorized skateboard does sound kind of fun (former skater, current snowboarder here).

I do like the bicycles though, for the leg exercise.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 07:13   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I brought bikes on the boat for several years. They proved to be a hassle, because we always anchor, and it is rare rare rare to use a marina. I guess you could always do some squats for legs?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote