Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2012, 08:19   #1

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE
Gasoline Storage

What would you recommend for safe / secure storage for the small containers of gasoline needed for the dingy's outboard motor?
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 08:35   #2

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
Re: Gasoline Storage

I always store gasoline in a good approved container and store it on the deck secured to something substantial. My container is 20 litres and I replace it when the elements manly sun start to break down the container. Never store below or in a locker unless it is vented like a propane locker.
Old 14-04-2012, 08:42   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

good red jug lashed to mast or a board attached to stanchions, depending on boat i'm sailing...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 09:14   #4

On deck with a custom sunbrella UV cover. or , in a perect world, a locker with drain outside the boat like a propane locker.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 10:15   #5

Boat: csy 37

while i use plastic containers for diesel and water, i simply don't trust plastic for gasoline. i have two metal outboard motor gas cans (hard to find now, try flea markets/garage sales) and i have them secured on deck.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 10:48   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I secure my two gallon dinghy gas container on the deck at the transom where any leakage would drain overboard. Another larger tank remains in the dinghy on davits unless I'm offshore in harsh weather when it joins the other tank at my stern.
Old 14-04-2012, 15:16   #7

Thanks for the responses.
Old 14-04-2012, 20:44   #8

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

I have a stupid question, I have steel 25lt jerrycans that had Diesel in could I use them for petrol or not?

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 04:32   #9

If the jerrycans are appropriately marked for gasoline, that is, they are legal for that use, IMO you could rinse them with a small amount of gasoline to remove the diesel residue; then, allow them to air dry completely before refilling. Before starting, you would also have to have a proper container for use in transport and disposal of the rinse / residue liquid.
Old 15-04-2012, 05:07   #10

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke 48 View Post
If the jerrycans are appropriately marked for gasoline, that is, they are legal for that use, IMO you could rinse them with a small amount of gasoline to remove the diesel residue; then, allow them to air dry completely before refilling. Before starting, you would also have to have a proper container for use in transport and disposal of the rinse / residue liquid.
I wouldn't bother rinsing if only an ounce or two residue. It will dilute sufficiently into the gas and be a non-issue. It's oil.

My bigger concern would be mistaking the contents of the can (due to can color) at a later date and accidentally pouring gas into a diesel tank.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 05:29   #11

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I wouldn't bother rinsing if only an ounce or two residue. It will dilute sufficiently into the gas and be a non-issue. It's oil.

My bigger concern would be mistaking the contents of the can (due to can color) at a later date and accidentally pouring gas into a diesel tank.
Well thats half the reason Im asking
A. if I tip out all diesel would mixing 20lt of contaminated petrol with 40lt strait petrol be ok (its only a mazda 6)

A. b Could I do what Duke says, rinse 5 lt and add two stroke oil first then use as A.

B. I ride a bike and get the wife to fill same type of cans for it as to not have to fill at servos for 15lt 2 times a week, and they are the same as the cans that came with the boat army green. Then I could buy yellow for the boat without trying to keep apart.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 05:34   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

It was mentioned several times above but worth a bit of elaboration. Gasoline fumes are denser than air. If you put a container into any enclosed space it will accumulate fumes at its bottom and can be very dangerous. The comment about venting for propane is accurate but does not explain the danger. The storage area must have a drain at its lowest point that cannot be obstructed by whatever you are storing in the locker. If it can’t drain water it can’t drain gas (or Propane) fumes. Much better to have it out and up so the fumes can just blow on their merry way.

And the plastic fuel tanks are fine. They do age however. But I have seen steel tanks rust out at the bottom from salt air or from water inside the tank. I go plastic. Red for gas yellow for diesel.

Mike
S/V Vivo
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 06:13   #13

Boat: contessa 32

I use my anchor locker (it has a drain overboard) for a one gallon jerry can of spare gasoline.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage