Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2012, 13:01   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Full Arch?... or Davits & Instrument Pole?

We recently purchased a Brewer 44 (center cockpit). On our old boat, we had an arch - with radar, antennas, davits and a small solar panel. With the new boat, although I'm not completely opposed to an arch again (with antennas, davits, solar... and maybe a wind generator) I'd like to at least explore the option of going without an arch.... mainly for aesthetic and weight reasons.

What I'm considering is this:
1. Putting the solar (maybe two Kyocera 140's) over (with framework), or possibly attached to, the bimini.
2. Mounting some simple/clean/low profile but strong davits. (Maybe Garhauer DD6-2)
3. Mounting an instrument pole for the antennas - and I might attach an outboard hoist to it. (Currently the radar is on the mast which we may or may not move to the instrument pole. And if we did an arch with solar we wouldn't want the radar on the arch due to shadowing.)
4. I'm trying to avoid a wind generator but if the solar doesn't prove to be enough amps (this is our first boat with refrigeration), I'll leave one quarterdeck open for a wind generator pole... or, if possible, add it to the instrument pole if the radar doesn't get moved there.

So I guess some of my questions go out to those that have experience with either setup:
1. In your opinion, would the setup I'm considering look better or worse than a full arch, aesthetically speaking? If I haven't been clear, I'm looking for a clean & neat look (to preserve the beautiful lines of the Brewer 44... think of a 60+' Oyster which usually just has davits and an instrument pole or two... (http://www.oystermarine.com/document...5/DSC_7666.jpg) rather than the back of the boat looking like a stainless steel fortress... or like I'm about to hoist a cage fight on my aft deck.
2. Would I appreciate having the solar out of the way over the bimini or.... would I be better off, possibly safer (as I could still remove the bimini in a blow) with the solar on an arch... where I could also design in the option to angle it towards the sun.

Other things to consider:
1. There are 2 quarter seats. I don't want an arch inhibiting the comfort of these seats.
2. The Brewer 44 has a short sugar scoop swim platform.
3. We are bluewater cruising liveaboards - the dinghy would be strapped on the bow for any major passages so please don't start a debate about whether or not there should be davits on a bluewater boat in the first place. They would mainly be used for short hops and security purposes.
4. The davits will be holding a 10' RIB... preferably with a 15hp outboard on it.
5. A windvane might be added someday.

If I forgot anything, let me know. Thanks in advance for any & all of your thoughts!

Scott, Brittany and Isla

Tags
arc, arch, davits, solar