Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 10:19   #1

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Foldup RIB / Storage

Is the keel of a RIB permanently attached, and thus it can't be deflated and rolled up for storage?
I gather some are called a RIB if they have a hard removable floor and then can be stored folded, but is that really the same kind of boat?
Old 08-02-2014, 10:24   #2

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
foldup RIB / storage

There are RIBs with a folding transom. They don't roll up, though. I have an Achilles, and there are other brands. Although we have dinghy davits, my husband and I want the stern unobstructed, so we can fish. This dinghy gets very flat when deflated. It's on the foredeck now ( winter storage) and I think it will stay there this summer and we will inflate it only when needed.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:11   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
RIB's by definition have a ridged hull attached to inflatable rubes.

The dinks that have a hull shape and can be rolled have an inflatable keel and either slat floors or removeable floors or inflatable floors.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 13:09   #4

Re: foldup RIB / storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
RIB's by definition have a ridged hull attached to inflatable rubes.

The dinks that have a hull shape and can be rolled have an inflatable keel and either slat floors or removeable floors or inflatable floors.
Thanks. So when someone calls their inflatable a 'RIB', they are cheating.

It seems to me the big advantage of an inflatable boat is being able to store it in a small space when not in use (such as on a passage), and one gives that up with a RIB. I assume the performance is so much greater that it is worth it?
Old 08-02-2014, 17:09   #5

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Our dinghy is an Avon Redcrest, one of the later (1998) models with larger tubes. It has a plain Hypalon fabric floor, not inflatable, and weighs less than 40 lb. Rolls up into a bundle maybe 4 ft long and 2 ft in diameter. Motor mount is a piece of fiberglass that fits onto the stern tube. Can't get much smaller and lighter than that, but it takes maybe 10 min to pump up and mount the motor. And it sure doesn't go fast - max 3.5 knots. For getting to shore in an anchorage we don't need speed. OTOH, needing only a 2 hp motor is a distinct advantage - our Mariner (Yamaha) 2 weighs only 22 lb. 1 qt of fuel in its internal tank takes us some 3-4 miles.

As often as not we row - a proper set of oars (6.5 ft Sawyers in our case) makes a big difference in efficiency and enjoyment.

In a 38 cat (esp in warmer waters where we sail) we'd might choose an RIB with 10-15 hp, and powered davits. Rowing wouldn't be much fun, tho.
NewMoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 17:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post

It seems to me the big advantage of an inflatable boat is being able to store it in a small space when not in use (such as on a passage), and one gives that up with a RIB. I assume the performance is so much greater that it is worth it?
We went the hybrid route, a folding transom RIB. It folds flat enough when deflated to reside on the cabin top in it's carry case to not make a huge obstruction, but with a bottom that can be pulled across shells and not be holed. We did upgrade from an inflatable floor/keel boat. I miss the compact storage of the fully inflatable boat, but not the fragility.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:43   #7

Who makes a RIB with a folding transom? How much hp can you hang on it?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:52   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
RIB is an acronym for "Rigid Inflatable Boat" -- RIB.

A RIB has a hard bottom with inflatable tubes. The hard bottom makes a profound difference in performance, but at the expense of stowability. So you have to make a choice there.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Who makes a RIB with a folding transom? How much hp can you hang on it?
Ours is an Avon, 2.6 Meter, rated for 8 hp. We use 5 and I would have no problem going with a lot more.

There are lots of other manufacturers too though.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:40   #10

Boat: Morgan 383

We have had a 10' Zodiac Compact for 3 or 4 years and are quite satisfied. It has the folding transom that allows relatively compact storage on our foredeck. (We had hoped to be able to get it into the cabin for winter storage/protection, but it didn't work out on our boat. Oh well.
We have a 9.9 HP motor on it and it goes fast enough for me (I'm a motor head; when I say fast enough, it's fast enough!) The manufacturer gives max HP in their sales literature.
The boat is fairly light compared to other dinks we looked at, which we like. Check out the figures.
The boat came with a very well made, padded storage case. We were able to get it back into the case once, but have since abandoned the case because it's just not big enough. Thanks Zodiac. (I ended up making my own out of Top Gun fabric. My case is better, even tho it's not padded, because I can GET THE BOAT IN IT!
The boat rows OK; better than other inflatable dinks we've had. You wouldn't do it for fun.
Dale Hedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:46   #11

Re: Foldup RIB / Storage

I'm building a hard catamaran dinghy that disassembles for storage.
I wanted to compare to the inflatables.
I have an idea to create a removable hard surface that attaches to the tubes and incorporates the transom, so it can plane and go fast, but then be removed and the inflatable rolled up. I suspect this has been tried and has issues?
I bought a cheap 10ft inflatable, and may give a try.

This gives a fairly good review of the different styles.
The West Advisor: Inflatable Boats
Old 13-02-2014, 07:19   #12

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

On our Achilles folding transom RIB, the max engine rating is 10 hp, with 8 hp recommended. The similar size non-folding transom RIB has the same engine ratings.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 01:26   #13

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I know this thread is a couple months old but I thought this was an interesting concept. A fold up RIB;
WinBoat 330RF SPRINT | WinBoat USA
goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib, storage