Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 13:43   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Flushing an outboard with fresh water???

I have a Yamaha 5 hp for my outboard. It is in salt water all of the time. I was doing normal maintenance and saw that you should flash out the engine in fresh water. I have not seen anyone here doing that. Anyone have any comments?
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 13:45   #2

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Flushing an outboard with fresh water???

I flush mine. I use one of the hose attachments.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 13:55   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The only time that our outboards get flushed with fresh water is when we go far enough up a river. This may happen once or twice a year. OUr outboards seem to last for 10+ years of constant use, and then not fail due to internal corrosion issues. More often it is corrosion of external stuff (or occasionally, theft) that does them in. Incidentally, these have all been two strokes -- wonderfully engineered and built bits of kit these days.

YMMV

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-03-2011, 13:55   #4

You attach the hose and start the motor and let it run with the fresh water in neutral? How often do you do this?
Old 02-03-2011, 14:01   #5

I only ever flushed if the outboard wasn't going to be used for a week or more. Never found a need for it as long as it's getting used daily or close to it.
Old 02-03-2011, 14:13   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Complete waste of time IMHO.

I took a diving rib normally used at sea and flushed after each occasion, on to the Upper River Thames for a week. Despite using the boat for several hours each day I was astonished to find salt crystals on the two thermostats when I later serviced it. After that I gave up worrying about it.

Our 2 stroke 3.5hp dinghy engine has never been flushed or serviced in 6 years and just runs. When it starts to become hard to start a new spark plug might be required.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 15:20   #7

Boat: grampian 26

[QUOTE=landonshaw;632969]You attach the hose and start the motor and let it run with the fresh water in neutral? How often do you do this
Yes but at idle only. Most manufacturers reccomend flushing after every use in the salt chuck but that strikes me as a bit anal. You should pull the prop to check for fishing line if you are in an area of heavy fishing. It is cheap insurance to change the lower unit oil annually to check for water and wear metal.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 15:37   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

I took a diving rib normally used at sea and flushed after each occasion, on to the Upper River Thames for a week. Despite using the boat for several hours each day I was astonished to find salt crystals on the two thermostats when I later serviced it. After that I gave up worrying about it.

Our 2 stroke 3.5hp dinghy engine has never been flushed or serviced in 6 years and just runs. When it starts to become hard to start a new spark plug might be required.
I couldn't agree more. Anything more than a new spark plug once a year, and you run the risk of spoiling these machines.
Old 02-03-2011, 16:16   #9

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant

I love this! I used to rinse it daily...would even bring a bucket of fresh water aboard just to run the outboard....

Now, about winterizing my diesel

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 16:34   #10

Quote:

Pete
I had a sorta ditto experience Pete with a 5hp. Now I never flush a 9.9 even though it has only occasional use and it has always performed flawlessly. The only problem has been the pangs of guilt at my blatant disregard for the manufacturer's adamance about the need to flush.

So I'm grateful for the above posts for taking care of the guilt but now wonder if anyone has ever bothered to provide the makers with a little feedback?
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 16:48   #11

Thanks for the recommendations, it leaves time for more rum...
Old 03-03-2011, 04:41   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomp View Post
I love this! I used to rinse it daily...would even bring a bucket of fresh water aboard just to run the outboard.... Now, about winterizing my diesel
For you Sir, who is clearly a man of means, Volvo have now got a salt engine water flushing kit which can retrospectively be fitted to engines. They also supply an exclusive, premier, neutrally Ph balanced flushing agent (soap to the great unwashed, if that's possible )

Have your man call in to the nearest dealer and pick up one of these when he is next in town.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A Volvo.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	24456  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:27   #13

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

There are a couple of ways of flushing an outboard with fresh water. The first is to use flushing attachment, "ear muffs", or a container in which you immerse the lower unit. The flushing attachment I'm refering to is an adapter that some outboards just above the prop/anticavitation plate, not the built in adapter mounted near the power head. All of these items supply water to the water pump and can/should be used with the engine running. The type of flush adapter that has an attachment near the power head like my 15hp Yamaha does not supply water to the water pump and should never be used with a running engine. That is unless you like to buy water pumps. Outboard water pumps are rubber impeller types very much like raw water pumps on a diesel or other inboard. Running them dry will destroy them in short order.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:22   #14

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
For you Sir, who is clearly a man of means, Volvo have now got a salt engine water flushing kit which can retrospectively be fitted to engines. They also supply an exclusive, premier, neutrally Ph balanced flushing agent (soap to the great unwashed, if that's possible )

Have your man call in to the nearest dealer and pick up one of these when he is next in town.

Pete
P.S. bring copious amounts of cash.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:43   #15

I like the idea of doing nothing.

Tags
engine flushing, outboard, water