Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2008, 19:56   #1

Boat: Islander, MK II, 30' Sloop
Arrow Fiberglass Dinghy Stowed Solidly on Foredeck is Best;

Hi; I'm a new member here so if this doesn't get posted right, then bear with me. We cruised for 8 years with a small, light but strong fiberglass dinghy that bolted into custom chocks, partly over the forward hatch and tilted downward to the fore deck. We used 3 large thumb bolts, that were screwed down into the chock by hand. The dinghy was light enough and small enough that we could easily pull it up, over the life line and onto the fore deck, even in moderate winds and waves. We called the dinghy "Me Too ! ", can you guess why ? This set-up worked a 1,000 times better than aft davits, or tying it down on deck, or deflating it every time, etc. What do you think? Bernie.
Bernie Eskesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 20:13   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sounds like a pretty nice system. I'm looking for a fiberglass dinghy but they are hard to find at a reasonable price. I like the solid chocks and thumb screws.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 06:35   #3

Boat: Islander, MK II, 30' Sloop
Hi Charlie; I think the brand of my fiberglass light weight dinghy is a ? "Livingston" ? and maybe it's mfr'd in the Seattle, WA area or ?? It has been around _many_ years so I don't know if they still make them. It was very, very "boxy", but very, very functional. Length = about 7' 4" or so & about 4' wide. It's hull is shaped like a little minature pontoon boat, one sits on the "deck-like" area in the middle. Regular oars stow in side very nicely on custome made chocks, (keeps them off deck and out of the cabin !!!). Of course, a small outboard mounts nicely on the transom. We took it everywhere, it was INVALUABLE !!!, we explored LOTS of nooks and crannies with it. Good Luck finding one. If you need more details, I can photo is from 3 angles. Bernie "Alansa"
Bernie Eskesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 07:29   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Hard chocks are great for ensuring a solid, secure mounting position. There are some very good products on the market that have built-on cleats and are removable for when they're not being used. Also, corrosion resistance is important because there is a lot of spray up on deck.
Old 25-04-2008, 07:51   #5

Boat: 44 footer
Bernie,

Sounds like a great idea.

I'd love to see a picture.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 09:03   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Bernie,

Sounds like a great idea.

I'd love to see a picture.

Me too, especially on a 30 footer
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 11:17   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
There was a fella in the marina that built a nesting dinghy to fit over his hatch to save space. He also used the mast from a wind surfer to power the thing. I don't know if it would take a motor too, or not.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 15:40   #8

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
I have been pondering the dinghy delema for a very long time. As I don't want an outboard, inflatables are out. As stated in another post I really wanted a Portland Pudgy to stow upside down on my foredeck but at 128lbs I can't carry that much weight. I think the Livingston might also be too heavy for me. So, what I am building (I got the ply last night) is an Eastport Pram - 7ft,8in, 48in beam, 55lbs. I found a f/g windsurfer mast and will make a sail rig. There's building info at the Chesapeake Light Craft website and a couple of other sites. I'll be happy to share what I learn. Dinghys, especially on small boats, are a challenge!
PS - Larry Pardee, last weekend, gave me pause to consider that the dinghy over the foredeck hatch could be very dangerous if blocking an exit during a galley fire - something to think about!
Old 26-04-2008, 01:26   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
. I'll be happy to share what I learn. Dinghys, especially on small boats, are a challenge!
Would be interested to see how the dink turns and especially on board a smaller boat.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 16:36   #10

Boat: 44 footer
I'm building a phil bolger tortoise. (Actually starting over, mis-under-estimated the required number of clamps before nailing and gluing... then again I'm a perfectionist.)

Measured the space on my cabintop, and its one of the few that would fit between the hand rails, boom vang, boom, and not overlap all the sliding companionway hatch.

(No idea on how well they work as boats, but for the space I've got it looks about right! Price was right too... plans are in Dynamite Paysons book!)
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 17:47   #11

We just bought a Cheoy Lee 32 ketch that the P/O had rigged with a lifting spar that stows against the mizzen when not in use. To launch the dinghy (fiberglass, stowed on top of the cabin roof) raise it with the spar and as you are swinging it out over the lifeline a line attached to the oarlock causes the dinghy to flip right side up. Truly amazing! And the dinghy is secured to the chocks with padded lines, covered with matching sunbrella, tied to wooden cleats. No corrosion, no sweat.
experiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 17:53   #12

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
I'd also like to see photo's of this set-up..,
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 14:27   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Experiment,
That's exactly the way I used to do it when by myself. Works great! I described the flipping part about 2 years ago on the forum. Do you use the spar on the mainmast or the mizzen mast?
El Toro plans are still available for $25. A Naples Sabot is also a good dinghy. Can be made of ply or glass. The lighter ply makes a very light boat. Depending on how you frame it it could be as light as 50lbs.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 16:38   #14

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
Umm.. Another option perhaps?

We build a 80 - 85 lb dingy. Its from a Sabot mold.

Here's a thread about it with a picture of Hull #1.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-13171.html

-jim lee
Old 27-04-2008, 19:28   #15

The lifting pole is on the forward face of the mizzen. The P/O built it out of an old self-tending jib boom. They're both made of spruce so it looks pretty good. Next time we go out and use it we'll take some photos for the board.
experiment is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass