Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 04:49   #16

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Re: Fender Cover Fabric

We use old stockings on our fenders, they work well.

Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:13   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Fender Cover Fabric

+1 on Sarafina's post - how to - but I did a modification to the ones I made by cutting a circle out of the bottom Sunbrella cloth of each bag. In this "hole" I sewed mesh fabric (like that used on the bottom of interior boat cushions). This allows any rain or water that gets into the "bag" to exit through the bottom.

The tops of the bags are drawstring so I can tie them to the lifelines or rigging for storage.

I had some left-over bags and found they were also great to store genoa/jib sheets when the boat is "in harbor" for extended stays. Since I have colored sheets, the sun would bleach them too much unless I coiled the sheets and stored them in the bag which was then tied to the furled headsail.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:57   #18

Boat: 1972 Catalina 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina
If you know someone with a fancy sewing maching that does embroidery you can have the boat name stitched on before you sew it all up. That way if you drop a fender it may find it's way back to you!
That's exactly what I ended up doing. I bought the boat blanket-enough for 2 for them & us. Then I had his boat name embroidered on it. He has a bunch so he keeps these on the rail-they're mostly decorative. They're really nice. I havn't finished mine just yet.
lippysyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fabric, fender