Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2014, 05:07   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37
Experience with Air X Wind Gen ?

Has anyone had experience (good or no so good) with an Air X wind generator? If so, what have you found? What model did you have? Is it effective just from the apparent wind speed generated when sailing? Wind speed necessary for it to be effective, etc.? Thanks in advance for any helpful input/advice, as I'm considering purchasing a unit.
BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 05:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: YORKTOWN 33'
Re: Experience with Air X Wind Gen ?

we have the air x and love it. we have the 400watt one and depending on wind where you live or sail ours need @8mph breeze to start turning and 12-16mph winds to generate power. we did hear they now make a 200watt that starts turning @ 2mph. we also have 500watts of solar and the 400watt air x and runs everything on-board including our freezer as another sailor was wondering how to keep food fresh ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks duane and kim and check out our aluminum mast steps
dandkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 05:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozSail View Post
Has anyone had experience (good or no so good) with an Air X wind generator? If so, what have you found? What model did you have? Is it effective just from the apparent wind speed generated when sailing? Wind speed necessary for it to be effective, etc.? Thanks in advance for any helpful input/advice, as I'm considering purchasing a unit.
I've had one on board for seven years with no major issues. Mine is a 48 volt unit to help charge my electric propulsion battery bank. Probably a little nosier than some other more expensive turbines but, gets quieter as the wind picks up. Even cranks amps into the bank when under sail as you can see here:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: HAPPY AT THE HELM!

Though typically for most of the day it is not spinning as my solar panels are keeping the batteries topped up:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: CHARGING ON THE WIND

I've also had an excellent experience with their customer service:
http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2012/...d-turbine.html

My Air-X has gone through seven years of 24/7 operation (including some brutal winter weather) and is still charging away. I like it very much.
Old 20-06-2014, 05:57   #4

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

it's common for the slip rings to stop working after 2 or 3 years but is very easy to fix.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 05:58   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

I inherited an old Air-X with our current boat. Ours behaved like dandkg outlines; starts turning around 8 knots but doesn't really start generating much power until about 12 knots. After that the power curve goes up fairly steeply.

The pros of ours (which was old, so may have changed) is the lightness, the power curve, and the internal controller (although that is also a negative).

The negatives are the internal controller, and the noise. Our Air-X screamed like a banshee as the wind piped up. From what I've heard, the new ones remain very noisy.

Our old Air-X died so we bought a Spreco SilentWind. Similar power specs, but leaps and bounds quieter. Also has an external controller. Spreco makes the famous "blue blades" for Air-X generators. They reportedly make the Air-X much quieter. For the benefit of your fellow boaters I'd strongly suggest getting the blue blades if your go for the Air-X.

And yes, everything runs off apparent wind on a boat. At rest, apparent wind = true wind.
Old 20-06-2014, 06:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The negatives are the internal controller, and the noise. Our Air-X screamed like a banshee as the wind piped up. From what I've heard, the new ones remain very noisy.
Mike
That has not been my experience at all. I find the unit goes almost silent at higher wind speeds. I also like the internal controller which shuts the unit down when battery reaches charge. I like independent charging systems solar, wind, generator. Should one fail I still have backups.
Old 20-06-2014, 06:30   #7
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I looked at the blue blades, wow. $ 360. which means it would cost me around 600 bucks to replace them. I think I'll just loan the neighbors ear plugs.
Old 20-06-2014, 07:17   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Mike
That has not been my experience at all. I find the unit goes almost silent at higher wind speeds. I also like the internal controller which shuts the unit down when battery reaches charge. I like independent charging systems solar, wind, generator. Should one fail I still have backups.
Like I say, I see the internal controller as both a pro and a con. I can tell you that's what died in our Air-X. As for the noise, it's partly a subjective thing, but if you do a search here or elsewhere you'll find that most people report Air-X as being obnoxiously loud. That was certainly my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I looked at the blue blades, wow. $ 360. which means it would cost me around 600 bucks to replace them. I think I'll just loan the neighbors ear plugs.
Yeah, they are expensive. I can tell you though, your neighbours will be happier with you. More to the point, YOU will be happier.

Tags
enc, wind