Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 08:49   #1

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
Evinrude Nightmares!

I have this wicked little 1985 8hp Evinrude which basically starts first pull every time but........its been a total nightmare since I’ve bought....used.

I was driving along and out of nowhere the engine stops pushing the dingy. I didn't hit anything but I thought maybe the shear pin at the prop broke off. Turns out the drive shaft was worn out where it inserts into the crankshaft, and as i was bounce in the waves it must have finally worn out.

After ordering 3 different shafts (they couldn't figure out how to send me the 25" one), and after a month of rowing to shore everyday, I finally re-installed the new driveshaft. I took it for a tour for 5 mins and as I’m pulling up to the boat it revs high and doesn't move the boat. I didn't even get to use it for 1 morning to get me to work.

Turns out I hit a very small piece of wood (it was stuck in the prop) as I was idling up to the boat. I didn't even hit hard enough the break the shear pin, but it was plenty hard enough for the new shaft to turn freely in the crankshaft.

My guess I need a new crankshaft, and this is not something I’m looking forward to tackling!!

Anyone know if there is a replaceable part that the driveshaft inserts into at the crankshaft? Or will I have to install a whole new crankshaft???

Who are the outboard wizards on CF?

.....at least I’m getting a good shoulder and back workout!
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:57   #2

you gotta get a crank your old drive shaft is probably good still. what the prob. is is that the crank being steel rusts away. though you should not have water hitting the bottom of the crank, the deflection plate must be junk or not seating properly or gone had a 71 6hp never had a prob. with it. pulled it apart after 20 yrs use in salt water to replace pump every thing looked fine motor still running fine today
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:26   #3

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
That's what I figured, another few hundred!! I have the manual but couldn't find any mention of this I part I hoped would exist, I guess thats the reason.

I was really thinking the driveshaft would be much softer than the crankshaft, thus leading to the driveshaft wearing away but the crankshaft still being fine.
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evinrude