Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2014, 08:50   #1

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic
Evinrude 6HP - Revision

Hi there,

So, I got myself a 6HP Evinrude two-stroke from 1993. Very happy with it; looks good, starts good, well maintained by a dealer, only used by the kids to play around in the marina and always rinsed inside (cooling) and out with fresh water after all uses.

Because I'm planning on (ab)using it as the main dink engine on a roundtrip to the Carib from Europe I want it to be reliable and I want to be able to fix it should it break down. That, and the fact it stalls sometimes when giving it full throtle made me decide I would like to take it apart and put it back together again. I don't think it needs much more then a thorough cleanout and some general maintenance, but I want to get to know it a little bit better.

Long story short, I've looked high and low for the paperwork to aid me with this, but it's near impossible to find... For my volvo penta inboard I found a bunch of (workshop) manuals with exploded views of all parts of the enigine including parts numbers. Something like that would of course come in extremely handy if one were to plan to take an engine apart and put it back together again. Still, this doesn't seem to exist for the evinrude. I found one dealer that had "some paperwork" laying around, but he wanted 70$ for it. Seems a bit steep =/.

So...

- Does anybody know on the top of their head what could cause the stalling when underway? No sounds otherwise, no indications when it's idling and starts back up afterwards fairly easily.
- Where could I possibly source the help (be it in paper or online) to succesfully take most of the engine apart and put it back together again?
- If not readily available for evinrude, are there other brands that have the paperwork available? I can't imagine two 2-stroke 1993 6HP outboards from two different brands be completely different...

Thanks!
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 09:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Evinrude 6HP - Revision

Investing $75.00 in a manual would be recovered in one trip to an outboard mechanic X 10.

Seloc Online here is an online service that provides just what you want.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidius View Post
Hi there,

So, I got myself a 6HP Evinrude two-stroke from 1993. Very happy with it; looks good, starts good, well maintained by a dealer, only used by the kids to play around in the marina and always rinsed inside (cooling) and out with fresh water after all uses.

Because I'm planning on (ab)using it as the main dink engine on a roundtrip to the Carib from Europe I want it to be reliable and I want to be able to fix it should it break down. That, and the fact it stalls sometimes when giving it full throtle made me decide I would like to take it apart and put it back together again. I don't think it needs much more then a thorough cleanout and some general maintenance, but I want to get to know it a little bit better.

Long story short, I've looked high and low for the paperwork to aid me with this, but it's near impossible to find... For my volvo penta inboard I found a bunch of (workshop) manuals with exploded views of all parts of the enigine including parts numbers. Something like that would of course come in extremely handy if one were to plan to take an engine apart and put it back together again. Still, this doesn't seem to exist for the evinrude. I found one dealer that had "some paperwork" laying around, but he wanted 70$ for it. Seems a bit steep =/.

So...

- Does anybody know on the top of their head what could cause the stalling when underway? No sounds otherwise, no indications when it's idling and starts back up afterwards fairly easily.
- Where could I possibly source the help (be it in paper or online) to succesfully take most of the engine apart and put it back together again?
- If not readily available for evinrude, are there other brands that have the paperwork available? I can't imagine two 2-stroke 1993 6HP outboards from two different brands be completely different...

Thanks!
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 10:19   #3

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
My guess would be it's the main jet in the carburetor. I like to put the screws and parts into small containers. A recycled egg carton works well for this. Take the carb apart. Soak the parts in carb cleaner over night, make sure all the little holes in the jet are clean, reassemble and you should be good to go. There are manuals that cover outboards (like Chiltons) one of the nice things about evinrudes are their parts aren't super expensive and the metals are much higher quality than Japanese made outboards
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 10:31   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Sparrow hawk is probably right but it could be a low float setting too. Since your disassembling it to clean it check the float level while you are there
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 10:46   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Last year I bought a can of carburetor cleaner. Since then I have fixed three non running or barely running small engines: two 2-cycle outboards and one 4-cycle lawn mower. All it took was to remove the carburetor, disassemble it completely and soak the parts overnight and reassemble.

Almost like magic, all of the engine problems were resolved. Ethanol fuel no doubt was the cause!!

In addition to the carburetor, the only other powerhead part that can go bad is the ignition/magneto module. These either work or don't work and have to be replaced. If you poke a screw driver into the spark plug socket, grab part of the blade while another hand (or finger) touches the block and pull the cord, if you don't feel a jolt it is bad and needs to be replaced.

One other user replaceable part is the raw water impeller. This can be a real pain to put back together as all parts: driveshaft, exhaust, raw water line all have to line up just right. But the parts cost are minimal.

Find parts by googling make, hp and year. One Evinrude parts site had exploded parts diagrams. You don't need a manual. Just follow basic principles.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 15:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sparrow hawk is probably right but it could be a low float setting too. Since your disassembling it to clean it check the float level while you are there
Checking the float level is good advice. Also make sure it moves smoothly. but I'm pretty sure if the float level was too low it wouldn't just cut out momentarily when you throttled up, it would not allow you to go fast period
Old 13-05-2014, 16:08   #7

It's important to drain the carb if you're going to store the engine for any period of time. The easiest way to do this is to disconnect the fuel supply and let the engine burn up the fuel, pulling the choke at the very end will get every last drop. It's also a good idea to periodically drain the carb from the screw at the bottom of the bowl. I'm amazed how much water is in the fuel we buy these days. It will end up in the bottom of the bowl
Old 13-05-2014, 16:09   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

low float level leans the mixture, a lean mix shows up most at low vacuum like when you first open the throttle. It's the reason some carbs have an accelerator pump, to keep the mix from going too lean during acceleration.
Sometimes stumbling on acceleration can be a low float level, but a low float level is almost always caused by being incorrectly set that way, but you never know what the PO has done.
I bought a small boat with a 25 HP Mariner for cave diving, it ran poorly and for that reason I got it cheap, ran very rich all the time, took a little while figuring that out, what it ended up being was the spring and little BB in the enriching circuit was mssing.
Beware of the PO
Old 13-05-2014, 16:19   #9

Boat: Seaward 22

I've got an 8hp evinrude same year. runs great. try the carb cleaner that everyone has said. i did have an electronic pack go bad about year 5 or 6. only 1 of the plugs would fire making it run rough and slow. my first impeller lasted 8 years!
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 16:27   #10

I thought of mentioning an accelerator pump but I'm pretty sure 6 horsepowers don't have them. But OK I agree that low vacuum ( when accelerating) may a stall the engine because of low float(fuel) level but allow the engine to run fine at speed, although you don't want to run your engine lean
Old 13-05-2014, 16:47   #11

Fuel pump would be another possibility. but its a 90 percent chance cleaning the carburetor will fix your problems the carburetor needs to be cleaned. there are several brand of service manuals. and any good Evinrude dealer can order you one
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 17:05   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

All I'm trying to say is while you are there, check everything, you never know what the PO did
Old 13-05-2014, 20:07   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Don't waste your money on a generic Seloc shop manual, either look on eBay for an OEM manual used or pony up the bucks for a new one. They are copyrighted for a long time and expensive. There are a lot of good how to videos on YouTube.

Your high speed jet is probably partially blocked from fuel drying in the carburetor. Happens all the time and not a bad idea to rebuild the carburetor yearly. If not getting enough fuel at speed a two stroke cylinder also is not getting enough lubrication. Along with soaking, using a compressor to blow air through the jets is useful but do not stick a probe in there. The best solution is to run stabil in the fuel all the time for prevention and double the dose before long storage periods, or just use the engine all the time. Even disconnecting the fuel line and running the carb bowl dry will leave some fuel in the carb, but there is a little drain screw to completely empty the carburetor. Make sure you have the new fuel lines which are resistant to ethanol degradation and a spare line and primer bulb. Ethanol fuel will turn to jelly when stored. If the fuel pump is bad it won't want to start. Ditto for the spark which can be checked with a spark tester. Fuel plus spark equals explosion, simple. Extra plugs and a spare prop are a good idea.

With a little routine maintenance that Evinrude 6 is a reliable lightweight desirable engine. To avoid getting stranded change the plugs, fuel filter, gear oil and impeller yearly and keep the gunk out of your carburetor. None of this is complicated for the DIY crowd.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evinrude