Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 22:44   #46

Boat: Cape Dory 28
Re: Electric propulsion on dinghy

How torqueedo is still in business I have no idea. I had a cruise 2.0 and when reverse failed the company wanted me to buy the upgrade kit which was $1800 because they don't service my model anymore even though it was only four years old.

If you had a Honda outboard and it was four years old and reverse stopped working, not only would you have tons of local options to get it fixed, but Honda would come up with a better solution for you if you couldn't.

Oh yeah, that's the best part, Torqeedo told me that this was a common fault, this computer chip they suspect failed. And that's why they changed the design.

How about you give me the kit for free since you know the first one you designed was a POS and cost $3800.

Lol, sorry, I haven't thought about that Torqeedo in a while. I think that was the first time I ranted about them. Felt good.

If after my little rant you still want one, look at how far a full battery gets you at a reasonable speed compared to a 3 gallon tank of gas.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 02:30   #47

Boat: Jeanneau 42 DS

Hope i don't have any problems with my Cruise 4.0, if the customer service sucks. Here in Norway the warranty is actually 5 years. So the store have to help me even if Torqeedo do not.

Its not just the fact that we do not have to bring gasoline.
We store the dingy up in deck, and having to lift up and down an 9,9hp 4 stroke petrol outboard is an PITA. (2 stroke is not for sale in Europe any more)

Where else can i get an outboard engine that planes the dingy and is only 18 kg?

No mess, no smell..
No need for service, oil change, cleaning carburetor, impeller, spark plugs etc.. just plug it in and drive.
offpist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 12:22   #48

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Did you check out the video on post #13? That is how a dinghy should scoot.
Nope, couldn't get it to load. I'm assuming it shows his dinghy going fast?
Old 13-09-2015, 12:27   #49

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Nope, couldn't get it to load. I'm assuming it shows his dinghy going fast?
That's odd, it is loaded and plays.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 12:28   #50

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by offpist View Post
Hope i don't have any problems with my Cruise 4.0, if the customer service sucks. Here in Norway the warranty is actually 5 years. So the store have to help me even if Torqeedo do not.

Its not just the fact that we do not have to bring gasoline.
We store the dingy up in deck, and having to lift up and down an 9,9hp 4 stroke petrol outboard is an PITA. (2 stroke is not for sale in Europe any more)

Where else can i get an outboard engine that planes the dingy and is only 18 kg?

No mess, no smell..
No need for service, oil change, cleaning carburetor, impeller, spark plugs etc.. just plug it in and drive.
There are lots of advantages to electric and we prefer it over gas for our club uses. We, on Hawaii, have no dealers and no cheap way of getting parts and pieces for the Torqeedo. Nothing about them is inexpensive and we have a volunteer club with low dues so are looking for cheaper ways of doing things. Each of our Torqeedo have had issues so its something I would not recommend. You have been able to take care of yours and I hope it lasts many years and gives you good service.
Old 13-09-2015, 13:33   #51

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I'm sorry, for some reason I was thinking the Bristol was a lighter day sailor. Does your have the Atomic 4 18 hp inboard?
Yes, it does. Can I still use this?
Old 13-09-2015, 14:33   #52

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
Yes, it does. Can I still use this?
Combine some of the bad reports on this thread about Torqeedo with the price, and add in the weight of your boat, to me at least it doesn't look promising. There is some drop-in electric propulsion units that would work, do some research. The link below is for a plug and play complete system at $10,800, includes prop to chargers and batteries. Sounds expensive but consider the Torqeedo at $3850 and it requires (2) Torqeedo batteries at $2600 each, total for the Torqeedo is $9050 and has 4 kw of power and limited to about 4.5 kw peak. The system in the link is rated 5.2 kw and 12 kw peak. This much higher peak power could come in handy with a heavy boat like yours, just isn't a continuous output.

The Electric Propeller Company Plug In Sailor (48V) - The Electric Propeller Company
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 00:56   #53

Boat: Jeanneau 42 DS

Hello.
Build a new battery again, this time from 50AH Li-ion used in the mitsubishi I-Miev electic car.

Total battery weight is now reduced to only 23,8 kg.

Top speed of dingy is now 24,9 Km/H when i drive, and 28 km/H when my wife uses the dingy.

So I also made a new movie, this is in Norway.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	110449   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery2 (1).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	110450  

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery3.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	110451  
offpist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:23   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Electric propulsion on a dinghy. Torqeedo = expensive. MinnKota = inexpensive. Take care of each and they'll give about the same length of service. Don't submerge either one in saltwater and expect them to keep on ticking. Some people are lucky to get them rinsed off quickly enough to not do harm but don't count on it. I've used both many times on various boats to 26 feet and would buy another MinnKota but not a Torqeedo.
Electric power for the mother ship is a different issue but for a dingy a simple trolling motor can be a great option (Assuming you are only doing short runs to shore and don't need to plane).

Cost is next to nothing compared to a torqueedo or a new gas outboard. With only 1 or 2 batteries and range need of only a couple miles, it's feasible for a moderately sized solar system on the mother ship to supply that. Any efficency advantages of the torqueedo are more than balanced by the drastically higher cost.

If you need 10-20mile range and the ability to plane, a gas engine makes so much more sense.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:17   #55

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
I have a Torqueedo Travel 1003 on our inflatable 9' Zodiac. I went this way so we don't have to carry two fuels aboard our Yanmar Diesel boat; We just keep the battery plugged into the 12V each night and it's topped off in the morning. No mucking about with Jerry cans and remembering to fill them.

Range isn't fantastic. With a full load (5 people) we get about a dozen ship-to-shore trips out of it or maybe an hour's worth of runtime. Also the kids like to mess around with it and that kills the battery so we keep the oars locked to it.

It comes off in three separate pieces, the heaviest of which is maybe 15 lbs. So it's a lot easier to handle than even the lightest gas outboard. It stows really small comparatively. The integrated battery is nice, there's no wires to worry about.

I got mine on floor demo special for $1200, which made it worth it. I don't think I'd pay $2000 for them.

Also, they're not quiet--they make a high-pitched whine that is every bit as annoying as a small outboard IMHO.

We've also got a mount for it on the sail Kayak. Very versatile little motor, been happy with it. Just don't expect anything like the runtime range they quote.
Did get the same, T 1003S with the big batt pack, on our Carib 310, and i like it a lot, we have solarpanels on the bakc and chargeing the Batt back up is done overnigth. Like it a lot. but in Norway it did cost a bit.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 17:36   #56

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

I talk about installing a trolling motor on my Walker Bay on the thread Electric options for inflatable dinghy. The battery will be fully charged if I go to shore early and come home late.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180804_132552.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	175102
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, electric, propulsion