Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-06-2015, 14:34   #16

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38
Re: Electric dink motor?

I have a Spindrift 10N with the sail kit. I think it's a great little boat and sails great. I did cut the foot of the sail a bit to raise the boom, to make the sailing function a little more user friendly.

For motoring I use a Minnkota 55. It is a decent motor in calm waters or light chop but will use up amps to motor through heavier chop though. I have two 35 AH batteries that I use to motor around with. I normally only take one, but if I'm going a distance I bring both batteries. The second one is my get home battery. It's not a fast way to get around but it does get you there and it is nice and quiet. Plus, the electric motor can be easily stowed in my lazarette.

I did buy a Tohatsu 2.5 hp 2-stroke for when I need more go. I've also heard good things about the Tourqueedo, but they are on the pricey side.

Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 15:32   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Take a look at the minn kota riptide series Minn Kota Riptide Transom Trolling Motors
Anywhere from 45 pounds thrust to as high as 112 lbs thrust

Old 08-06-2015, 22:18   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"...if I'm going a distance I bring both batteries. The second one is my get home battery. "

Argyle38, That's exactly what I do when I'm playing in my canoe. One battery for going out and one for coming home. I've never run out of battery doing it that way. If I've been going down wind I turn for home a little sooner than I would if I knew I'd have the wind behind me on the way back. Like you, I have a 2.5 internal combustion engine as well. I fuel it with an 11 pound propane tank and I can run it at full speed more than ten hours if I need to cover distance.

I'm really trying to get away from small gasoline engines. Hence the electric and propane. I'm not afraid of gasoline, it's just so messy and it always manages to gum up the carb just when I want to use it.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:06   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Torqeedo if you have lots of money and don't mind doing some troubleshooting from time to time. To my mind they are more a toy than a workhorse. MinnKota if you don't mind the carrying of a battery. You can purchase 10 MinnKotas for the price of a Torqeedo. I've had experience with both plus gas vs electric. Posts are in "electric outboard" search.
Old 09-06-2015, 13:30   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i fully charge mine, go with it over a mile, tand back with same battery, the intrinsic gps says i still have over 50 percent battery remaining, so i can wander a lot more. is perfect for my uses. i generally have to take my dinghy, by rowing, over a mile to shore when i anchor out.
the torqueedo has more than enough longevity for my needs. in a surf landing situation i row. even over a mile.
and the initial price is less than a 3 1/2 hp outboard engine that uses gasoline.

my bad for actually liking this pos i traded a sail for... rodlmffao--when i looked up the price for purchase and what ye get for the money, th etorqueedo is actually less pricey than most other forms of dinghy propulsion, as the thing comes with 2 batteries, th e lower end unit, a solar panel , charger for 120, and the rest of the works. all was for 1895 usd. new.
try buying anew outboard for htat. then try attempting to self handle the outboard on and off boat without a lift,as th e torqueedo is capable of....
as for minnkots--i watched too many fail in front of me to even consider those as a viable option for mile each way dinghy use.
after considering ALL options price vs convenience, i will continue with torqueedo and oars.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 16:38   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

I dunno Zee. Sounds like you got an incredible deal. When I was contemplating a Torqueedo I figured the package with extra battery and other doodads was going to ring in close to $3K. A quick search finds the best price listed at $1500 for the engine, with no extra battery or other things. Extra battery is $500+.

In contrast, I bought my new 3.5 hp, 4-stroke Tohatsu (same as Mercury & Nissan) for less than $1K.

If I could have got your deal I might have seriously considered the Torqueedo. I love the idea. But even a glance at their published specs tell me it's not yet good enough for my needs (which are fairly modest):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Specs.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	103482  
Old 09-06-2015, 18:58   #22

Boat: csy 37

Some of us use a "community property" Minnkota 30 to get out to boats in the anchorage. Mostly used on a Walker Bay 8, Water Tender 9.4, 9ft Avon rib, and 8ft West Marine inflatable. It works.
But I think it would work better if the prop had more pitch. It seems the props are made to push boats that are typically much heavier than our dinghies. More pitch would give us higher speeds and longer run times, IMHO.
Old 09-06-2015, 20:22   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i fully charge mine, go with it over a mile, tand back with same battery, the intrinsic gps says i still have over 50 percent battery remaining, so i can wander a lot more. is perfect for my uses. i generally have to take my dinghy, by rowing, over a mile to shore when i anchor out.
the torqueedo has more than enough longevity for my needs. in a surf landing situation i row. even over a mile.
and the initial price is less than a 3 1/2 hp outboard engine that uses gasoline.

my bad for actually liking this pos i traded a sail for... rodlmffao--when i looked up the price for purchase and what ye get for the money, th etorqueedo is actually less pricey than most other forms of dinghy propulsion, as the thing comes with 2 batteries, th e lower end unit, a solar panel , charger for 120, and the rest of the works. all was for 1895 usd. new.
try buying anew outboard for htat. then try attempting to self handle the outboard on and off boat without a lift,as th e torqueedo is capable of....
as for minnkots--i watched too many fail in front of me to even consider those as a viable option for mile each way dinghy use.
after considering ALL options price vs convenience, i will continue with torqueedo and oars.
I'm truly happy you enjoy your Torqeedo. We did too for the first few years and then little by little the electrons weren't going the right place or kept dropping down in the saltwater. Whatever, we've had problems with the model that you have and now have problems with the larger Cruise 2.0 24 volt. It is incredible that Hawaii has no tech support on their products and no dealer but that's the case.

Good luck on your Torqeedo I think the idea is great and hope new tech can support it.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:40   #24

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

If you have the skill to build your own dink, then you might consider making you own electric outboard. The trolling ones are not very powerful, which might be ok. The more powerful ones are rather expensive.

You can find an old dead 5-10hp gas outboard and replace the engine with an electric motor.
I used a 12v hydraulic pump motor for about $100 with permanent magnets, so it can be reversed easily. A 12v winch motor is also an option, but reversing isn't as simple. You can make it rotate 180 to get reverse instead.

Can be a big project but so is building a dink.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:46   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
If you have the skill to build your own dink, then you might consider making you own electric outboard. The trolling ones are not very powerful, which might be ok. The more powerful ones are rather expensive.

You can find an old dead 5-10hp gas outboard and replace the engine with an electric motor.
I used a 12v hydraulic pump motor for about $100 with permanent magnets, so it can be reversed easily. A 12v winch motor is also an option, but reversing isn't as simple. You can make it rotate 180 to get reverse instead.

Can be a big project but so is building a dink.
No need to reverse the electric motor most outboards over 3.5 HP have a transmission in the lower unit to shift from forward to reverse
Old 10-06-2015, 12:50   #26

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

There's a bunch of YouTube videos on making electric out boards.
Old 10-06-2015, 13:09   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just buy a small 2 stroke outboard air cooled motor cheaper than any other option 2.0HP Outboard - 2 Stroke - Florida Outboard Motors & Engines

Tags
electric, motor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: