Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 15:04   #16

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Eastport Nesting Pram - 7'9"

Not nearly as pretty as the Eastport, but if space on your boat is tight, you might want to consider one of these Flapdoodle folding prams:

Duckworks - Flapdoodle Folding Sailboat

"... It folds down flat about the size of a surfboard and the main body can be carried under one arm. Open, it becomes a rigid 7'10" x 4 foot beam dinghy of classic proportions. It could be built for about $300; much less if desired by using the construction options."
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 15:06   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
It was also my first boat project and was a good one to learn the "stitch and glue" technique.
That's what I was thinking as well
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 15:12   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
On the linked web site, be sure to check out the construction gallery of photos.

There are 71 photos, lots of clues to construction.

Looks like some parts are glassed over and those, plus the rest of the part's surfaces are coated with epoxy in a clear form or something similar. At any rate, no varnish to worry about.

Lots of wood colored fillet work as well, which shows close up. I think a painted version would look better.
Yeah, a decent website

I do like look of the varnish - but not enough to maintain it , might go the Hereshcoff (Sp?) look if I can use epoxy or F/G (and the results look decent).
Old 02-12-2011, 15:21   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Not nearly as pretty as the Eastport, but if space on your boat is tight, you might want to consider one of these Flapdoodle folding prams:

Duckworks - Flapdoodle Folding Sailboat

"... It folds down flat about the size of a surfboard and the main body can be carried under one arm. Open, it becomes a rigid 7'10" x 4 foot beam dinghy of classic proportions. It could be built for about $300; much less if desired by using the construction options."
I nearly bought one a few years back! was at an Auction so got the chance to have a close looksee It is clever.....unfortunately I did not have the time to wait. and was undecided on whether would fit onboard.

In the past I have Googled extensively on Dinghies / Tenders (and bigger - am easily sidetracked ) - there are a squillion designs out there all of which have pro's .....and cons .........but nonetheless I do like looking at all suggestions. I figure in the future the need to be able to build another dink might be useful - and likely for different needs.
Old 02-12-2011, 16:18   #20

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

David, I , like Auspicious, live near CLC and visit them regularly, they have a stellar reputation and are great folks. I think the Pram will be next summers project. I plan to build from the plans using super cheap floor underlayment plywood at about $6 US a sheet.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 20:43   #21

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Hands on experiance, that's good to hear and different colours inside and out is a useful tip.

Have just re-read the blurb - and didn't realise that "Okoume" is actually plywood . Figures.

Just FYI, seems that to make into a Nesting version you simply cut it in half (i.e. not built seperately). and add a couple of bulkheads.
Okoume is a species of wood from Africa that is currently popular for making marine plywood out of.

Danny Green's Chameleon nesting dinghy has gotten good reviews too.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 20:55   #22

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Somebody mentioned the Spindrift nesting designs. B&B also has the TwoPaw designs that are slightly wider which would help stability. See this link: catspaw
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:19   #23

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
... I plan to build from the plans using super cheap floor underlayment plywood at about $6 US a sheet.
Be careful using luan. It used to be luan ply could stand up to serious weathering. Lately all the stuff I get delaminates dramatically after a getting wet once. If you use it, encapsulate it as much as possible with epoxy.

See if anyone in your area sells a premium underlayment called Ultraply. It uses marine-grade glue between plies and sells for about $20 per sheet -- midway between the really cheap stuff and marine ply.

I'm planning to building a stand-up paddleboard from the stuff.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 14:38   #24

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

I've built a 7'6" Nutshell which is a great little boat for one or two, and a nesting Spindrift 11N as well. The 11N is a great rower and sailer and can really take a load but the nesting feature was a pain. It was great fun to build them but I now have an inflatable and prefer it as a practical tender. Stows and stores easily and has greater capacity and stabiity. Despite the benefits, I miss rowing around the anchorage in a nice wooden boat... The Nutshell plans are available from Woodenboat. Have fun! BTW, your Seadog looks awesome! What a great design for an area with tides like that.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:39   #25

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I built a Nester in the past and about to build another. What i do is take the size and style of the dink that meets my criteria and find a dink that size and cut her in 1/2. If you're handy with glassing, it's a whole lot cheaper. The one I built was a Herrshoff 9.5'. Now I'm getting ready to chop my Livingston 8 in half
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:02   #26
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I built a Nester in the past and about to build another. What i do is take the size and style of the dink that meets my criteria and find a dink that size and cut her in 1/2. If you're handy with glassing, it's a whole lot cheaper. The one I built was a Herrshoff 9.5'. Now I'm getting ready to chop my Livingston 8 in half
That's a useful tip