Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2010, 11:43   #1
Marine Service Provider

Downgrade to a Hard Dinghy ?

Should I?
Any recommendations on one that will fit nicely on the davits?
Should I do it now, while the RIB is still in decent condition, and I may get a few $$$ for it? Well maybe after I get to Florida, since NJ's season is winding down.

After having the engine stall on me in the middle of the bay, and now sitting at anchor still trying to troubleshoot...er ask everyone here for engine help.

But more so after stalling and then have practically no power on the way back to the mother ship, I think I'm finally done with the inflatable. As nice as they are, I want something I can actually row, when the engine ***** the bed. Hell, after the last few days, I may even follow that crazy cruise for $500 a year guy, and dump the engine too, and just get a nice set of oars. At least it will force my lazy ass to get a work out.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 11:46   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I don't see that a solid hull is necessarily a downgrade. There are disadvantages and benefits to solid hulls, RIB's and inflatables.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 11:54   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I've thought about a hard dinghy for going to my mooring ring and keeping the avon for cruising. The reason is simply that If I'm away for the boat for a week the pontoons start to get pretty soft and having the dink tied up at shore with the tides gets me worrying about chafe. My reasoning in keeping the avon on board is that it tows well and won't sink if it swamps or flips. That said if those aren't legit worries a good rowboat that will takes a 5 horse outboard would be really nice.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 11:58   #4

I "downgraded" to a walker bay 8 quite happily from an inflatable. The inflatable is for sale if anyone wants it.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 12:03   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
After almost 17 years with inflatables we just switched to a hard dinghy. We posted the info with pictures on our Beach House web site. Our davits are a bit different from what you plan to use but we have seen these on standard davits. And the boat weighs the same as our old Caribe. It sure does row nice and we can get the same speeds as our inflatable with a much smaller outboard. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 12:31   #6

Boat: Islander 36
What size is your boat? I carry both on my 36 ft with no issues. And each has it's own motor. My Walker Bay is a different purpose boat and is in no way a "downgrade". But if you're going from a "go-fast" only to a rowing dink only, I can see how you might want to call a rowing dink a downgrade. Consider a sail kit for whatever hard dink you get. The "downgrade" might become an "asset".
Old 31-08-2010, 12:42   #7

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Should I?
I think I'm finally done with the inflatable. As nice as they are, I want something I can actually row, when the engine ***** the bed. Hell, after the last few days, I may even follow that crazy cruise for $500 a year guy, and dump the engine too, and just get a nice set of oars. At least it will force my lazy ass to get a work out.
Depends on the cruising ground, and what you like to do.

For us anything but a rib is rather heavy or slow to continue to use as a platform for diving/exploring. Also running offshore in a dinghy I love the rib, because I am comfortable with it's abilities in rough waters.

I guess the dream for us would be a carbonfibre panga type, that folds like a portaboat, is unsinkable, weighs 100 pounds, and can carry 6 people, rows like a dory, and planes fully loaded with a 15hp 2stroke in a length of 10 to 12 feet. So I guess we are out of luck :-)

and since we can't find such a dinghy our best option is to use the rib (caribe 10), and a sitontop kayak (oceankayak malibu 2). Kind of gives us the flexibility we need.

Cheers,

Cheers,
Old 31-08-2010, 12:47   #8
Marine Service Provider

34' and I have a 9' RIB with a 5HP 2 stroke. Considering the old 2 stroke hasn't run great, with the exception of the first time I started it, rowing probably won't be a huge downgrade. And considering the price, I may save myself the headache and just get a new 2 or 2.5HP 4 stroke to go with it.

That walker bay with a 2.5HP, I can get at West with ship to store and have them before I even leave. For just a little over 1-1/2 boat bucks. Or maybe the sail kit instead?

On the other hand the Livingston looks nice! A cat dinghy on a cat would be pretty cool.

shipofools - I'd rather use the mothership to dive from anyway. Hell, that's why I threw a t-ladder on it on her in the first place. Yeah, the RIBs sure are stable, but damn do they suck to row!
Old 31-08-2010, 12:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
What size is your boat? I carry both on my 36 ft with no issues. And each has it's own motor. My Walker Bay is a different purpose boat and is in no way a "downgrade". But if you're going from a "go-fast" only to a rowing dink only, I can see how you might want to call a rowing dink a downgrade. Consider a sail kit for whatever hard dink you get. The "downgrade" might become an "asset".
Sailkit:
Pram Sailing Rig
Old 31-08-2010, 12:55   #10

Quote:
That walker bay with a 2.5HP, I can get at West with ship to store and have them before I even leave. For just a little over 1-1/2 boat bucks. Or maybe the sail kit instead?
Walker bays can be found rather inexpensive used . . . seem to pop up a lot at least in my neck of the woods.
Old 31-08-2010, 13:01   #11

34' Cat? I may have 2 more feet in length, but I'm a mono. Point is, I'm thinking youve got room.

Your 5 hp sounds a touch small to make a RIB a "go-fast" toy. If that's OK with you, check out Craigslist real quick for Walker Bay, get the small outboard for it and use the engine for both for a while until you decide what really makes you happy or you get the RIB sold.

RE: Sail Kit-I highly recommend it
Old 31-08-2010, 13:15   #12

Boat: Nordhavn 47
I "downgraded" to a hard dinghy as well. I go slower but it rows great, I get exercise taking the dog for his daily walks and it carries much better on the davits as it is lighter and less bulky. It also fits on deck for longer passages. I think it is probably a little wetter going with the motor and I doubt I will be able to get in it from swimming but for now it is thumbs up. Chesapeake Light Craft kits are great and pretty easy to build.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 14:04   #13

Boat: csy 37
we switched to a hard dinghy long ago. the admiral seems to prefer it. i still carry a rolled up inflatable as a 'backup'.

the hard dinghy, by the way, is a watertender. it actually stows flat on my deck (i've got a flush deck csy 37) and i can haul it aboard with my staysail halyard. it tows very well and rows very well. and it's cheap at about $550 new, half that much used. a 3hp 2 stroke moves it along nicely. the down side is that it can be wet in a chop. i'm still looking around for something better in about the same size.

KL INDUSTRIES WaterTender 9.4 Rowing Dinghy at West Marine
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 14:08   #14
Marine Service Provider

I am a cat, but with only a 14' beam and a lot of toys. I have a compressor aboard too. Running outta room quickly! I guess the Walker Bay would be small enough to store on the foredeck, though. Having both still doesn't solve the main issue of being able to row it...if/when the engine decides to act up at an inopportune moment. But using both for a while and then deciding may be the best bet.
Old 31-08-2010, 14:41   #15

Quote:

Having both still doesn't solve the main issue of being able to row it...if/when the engine decides to act up....
I don't get that. Unless you're talking about rowing the RIB.

I have a motor for each dink. The WB comes with... oars. I also have the sail kit. So why would you not be able to row if you had both? Does your RIB not have oars?