Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2015, 06:17   #46

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Re: Don't Buy an AB Inflatabe

From AB's website, "We moved from Venezuela in December 2007, in order to better serve our customers and enjoy a facility where new quality standards could be achieved as well as stronger professionalism of service."

Just bought an 10 AL. Dealer told me they are more rugged, handle rough conditions and are lighter than the equivalent fiberglass models.

Surprised we are not hearing from more satisfied customers. Btw, my experience with Caribe was terrible. Never was able to find the leak into the inner hull. The AB
AL design eliminates that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 06:39   #47

As a person who has built a lot of homes in this country, I can tell you that it's rare that a company will honor its warranties and guarantees.

All manufacturers in every part of the world have production problems every now and then, but Colombia is a known 'dumping ground' for shoddy materials made somewhere else.

Hurricane in Florida, and new car dealerships flooded? You can bet those cars will end up here. I see examples of situations like this everyday.

Consumer activism is non-existent in this country. This is a nationwide home appliance company that buys returns and defectives from the U.S., repackages them, doubles the price, and then sells them here. Nothing but junk.

Casa Magna | Tienda especializada en electrodomesticos, ayudantes y complementos de cocina y mesa | Medellin, Bogota, Barranquilla y Cartagena | Colombia
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 15:17   #48

Boat: Bristol 35.5

I'm moving aboard this year and leaning towards a portland pudgy.. have seen nothing but good on them so far.
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 15:25   #49

Send a message via Skype™ to Evenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
The Lamina doesn't have the flat floor? The floor in the 9.5 AL makes a triangle with the V of the hull, strengthening that area. But the floor ends 10" or so from the transom (the most highly loaded area). The joint between the un-floored transom area and the reinforced floor area cracks.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Ours has the flat floor. Haven't seen any cracking yet.
S/V Evenstar - Hallberg-Rassy 53 Hull #34
Our travel blog, or "Embarrassing things I do to myself around boats"...
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 15:27   #50

New breed looks promising
Offshore Cruising Tenders
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	octender.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	100984  
Imprezza72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 15:53   #51

Send a message via Skype™ to Evenstar

I was chatting with the fellow that makes those yesterday. Its an interesting looking dinghy, if we were in the market for a new dinghy we'd give it a hard look. We've seen them running one around the harbor here in Opua and they are quick with little HP on them.

Right now I believe they're only made and available in NZ and he's selling them as fast as he can turn them out. I imagine he could ship one, I know the Portland Pudgy can be shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezza72 View Post
New breed looks promising
Offshore Cruising Tenders
S/V Evenstar - Hallberg-Rassy 53 Hull #34
Our travel blog, or "Embarrassing things I do to myself around boats"...
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 17:00   #52
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. Csy
Which mercury dink did you have the transom problem?
Thanks pete
It was the 310 Air Floor.
Good performance, very stable dink and we loved it.
Except built in China with questionable quality, yet the design was superior.
It took 3-4 trips to the dealer with lots of waiting and "approval" from head quarters to get the various problems solved.

New air-keel, gluing of transom, re-gluing of eyes holding life lines, etc.
I bought it because of the 10 year warranty, or which the last 5 was prorated.
All my problems was during the first 5 years with 100% warranty but it was like pulling teeth to get it done, and to order parts. It took as much as 2 months in the shop while parts were on order from China and Mercury dragging their slimy feet.
Perhaps things have improved, but I would stay away from the scumbags as their fancy warranty is fake and a bunch of bull-sh!t.
Old 27-04-2015, 15:15   #53

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
I was chatting with the fellow that makes those yesterday. Its an interesting looking dinghy, if we were in the market for a new dinghy we'd give it a hard look. We've seen them running one around the harbor here in Opua and they are quick with little HP on them.

Right now I believe they're only made and available in NZ and he's selling them as fast as he can turn them out. I imagine he could ship one, I know the Portland Pudgy can be shipped.

I also had a look at these in Opua last week. There is a display model on the street across from the marina. They look very well made. I'm not sure of the weight, but two of us were easily able to pick the boat up (I wouldn't be surprised if it weighed under 100lbs). The only issue I saw, was the sides above the waterline are wrapped in closed cell foam that is covered in Sunbrella. You would have to be careful about what dingy dock you tied up to as Sunbrella certainly isn't as durable as rubber rails on most inflatables.

mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 03:59   #54

I have a 2013 AB 9.5 and absolutely love it. I have the bow locker option. Engine is a 15hp honda 4 stroke. Planes out at 20mph with just me in it. Ive towed it on long coastal cruises and it tows nicely. Island to island with keep it on Ocean Marine Systems davits. Offshore she goes on the deck.

Oceanghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 04:26   #55

We have been using an aluminum AB UL9 for a couple of years, very pleased with it so far. Holds air for 6 months without a top up. Very light easy to manhandle. I've met many cruisers with new dinghy's of all brands that are frustrated with small air leaks on seams that can't seem to be fixed. I previously owned two Mercury air decks and was very pleased with them, sold them to friends who still enjoy them. If it is a quality control issue there may only be a small number of good ones from a manufacturer. Might be better to find a proven used one in good condition.
Bob
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 04:40   #56

Boat: Merfyn Owen/Bruno Fehrenbach Formula 40 Trimaran

Had one since Jan 2011 when we purchased it in St Marteen from budget marine. We got it with a 9.8hp Tohatsu best power to weight money can buy for under 4 grand. Best inflatable I've had and I've had a few. Little mould on top now, some seams were touched up when I saw them start to go and the Velcro on the oar holders went pretty fast but apart from that she's been awesome! We are now in Indonesia and she's still going strong and looks just about new.
We also apply 303 to it every two weeks for UV protection and lift it at night to stop bottom growth.
I'd recommend a fibre glass one next time. A little more weight but far more stable, wider and with a larger tube diameter and inturn better load carrying capabilities. Not only that but you can fix it yourself with a little glass mat and resin if you need to.
Personally wouldn't go any alloy boats no matter how well built over time they crack. And if you tow your dinghy your asking for trouble as the constant pounding from being towed on the transome from the engine weight bouncing around reduces the time considerably. I love alloy it just has its uses though and when alloy dinghies are built light it's for a reason and it ain't strength related. And may I add our also holds air well after nearly five years and we've never had to replace a valve yet. Who knows maybe we just got a good one??
trimaranspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 06:42   #57

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I am also in the "No AB" group when it comes to the purchase of a new dinghy - not because of quality problems, but because of their total lack of warranty commitment.

I purchased an AL dinghy through Defender in 2013 to replace my old Fiberglass AB that finally wore out after 12 years of use. The new dinghy was delivered in the original AB packaging with no sign of damage. I inflated the dinghy on the ground, and found it deflated the next morning. There was a small pin hole in the bow right next to the rub stripe. I contacted Defender and they contacted AB who refused to consider it a warranty issue. They would not admit that a product could leave their warehouse with a defect. They asserted that I must have caused the damage.

Defender made me whole on the cost of having the leak repaired (plus a little more for goodwill), so I'm OK with them, but not AB. It's a shame because I have been very satisfied with the quality of both AB dinghies I have owned, although it appears I might have just been lucky in that area.

So in addition not purchasing another AB, I will also try to avoid having the dinghy shipped to me. Rather go to the dealer and inspect the inflated dinghy before accepting the product.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 06:43   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontno1 View Post
In my opinion the best glue for repairing any inflatable is Rema Tip Top. An industrial glue that is used to glue conveyor belts together. Have been using it for years with great success on both pvc and hypalon.
+1 for the green stuff
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 06:50   #59

Boat: PDQ 44i

We have been very pleased with our fiberglass hulled RIB from AB. We bought it 9 years ago, and have used it mostly in the tropics. We would buy another when this one wears out.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 08:18   #60

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
We love our Walker Bay Genesis.
Is this an air floor model? We have one and the floor has been junk. The tubes have been somewhat better but overall we have not been impressed and would not go near WB again. We took the floor to a repair place in South Africa and the guy said every time he fixed one leak he found another. We ended up cutting the air floor open and filling the space with pool noodles to get us back home.

We have had excellent success gluing Hypalon with 5200 fast cure. Since it is white you need to clean up before it hardens or it looks crummy but overall it has been terrific.