Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 08:36   #16

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Do you use Oil Lamps

cburger, I have several, including a full set of (emergency) running lights. Lamp oil is clearly more expensive. So is good scotch and gin and wine and other stuff that gives you more for more money. Cheap kerosene works in lamps, but it has a lot of other stuff in it that, when burning, makes odors that many of us would rather avoid. So, you makes your choices and pays your money.

You are going to find a new purpose for newspapers, besides lining the parrot's cage. Roll a sheet up in a spindle, insert it in the chimney and twist to remove much of the black, sooty carbon. Good lamp oil doesn't burn as dirty as cheaper stuff.

Learn how to properly trim the wicks, do it regularly (and that means often) and the lamp will give off more light and less soot (and less odor).

Carry extra wicks (sized for your specific lamps) and carry, at least, one extra chimney for each size/style lamp. Look into candle lanterns, as well.

Get a container with a tube spout to hold your lamp oil, fill it over the sink, and wipe off the residue that may spill.

LED lamps and cold-cathode fluorescents are nice options, as well.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:48   #17

Another thing I've learned is to let the lamp warm up slowly. Get it down to barely-a-flame once it's started. It will flare up all by itself as the increased wicking pressure activates. If it heats too quickly it cracks the globe. I burned through about a half a dozen in my first year, now I've on seven years with the same globe.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:10   #18

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

I like my Perco oil lamps, both the anchor light and the wall mounted salon lights. I have side lights too, but have seldom used them.

I keep citronella oil in one cabin light, so I can burn it on buggy nights without having to keep opening and closing the hatch against bugs. I have seen bugs heading into the cabin, and turn back at the hatch when they hit the vapors. I don't use citronella in a closed up cabin.

Kerosene comes in various grades, and K1, the grade that looks like clear water has the least odor. Some places it comes with red dye in it, because no road tax has been paid on it. If you have kerosene aboard, an old Svea, Primus, or Optimus "roarer" single burner stove makes good backup stove.

The best kerosene light is an Aladdin lamp, which is a non-pressurised kerosene lamp that has a round wick, and uses a mantle, suspended over the flame. It puts out white light, about like a coleman gas lamp, or a 100 watt household bulb, great for fine repairs or reading. Mine hangs in a custom bracket. It puts out a LOT of heat, and doubles as a cabin heater. In warm weather it hangs at the hatch to let the heat out.

I have also used Coleman and Wenzel pressurized kerosene lamps, but don't like the pressure pushing out the kerosene in case of flareups. In a pinch, many Coleman liquid fuel lamps will burn kerosene, if the generator is preheated with a torch or a little cup of alcohol or gasoline, but generator life is shorter.

I like old ways. For years, I cruised my old Buc 24, with a Seagull engine and kerosene lights. I'd start with a charged battery for the radio, and usually it would hold a couple of weeks or more with very light use, weather or emergency calls only. I had no generating gear.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:13   #19

By the way, does anyone have a source for chimneys for Perko cabin lamps?

I believe they are base OD 1 7/8" by 5" high.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:42   #20

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Nice picture of your lamp. Nice traditional feel
Thanks! That lamp sailed around the world, on my parents boat, seen a lot of cool anchorages.

Chimney link oil lamp chimneys
Old 08-11-2013, 12:11   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I like them, but have a problem with being selectively clumsy. I can walk a bowsprit no problem, but glass things tend to break. I wouldn't trust myself around them, but I do like the way they look.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:14   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

lamp oil here in mexico is actually mineral oil. with and without citronella. i use citronella oil in my anchor lamp.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:14   #23

The above link has only one 1 7/8' base chimney, that is not suitable for the Perko lamp being too tall to swing on the gimbal.

Does anybody have a source for a Perko 1 7/8"base by 5" tall chimney?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:21   #24

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

I have a small one for my small boat that I use in the main cabin area. It gives off just enough light that we dont have to use any electric lamps in the evening when at anchor unless we are cooking.

I use lamp oil from walmart....I think I bought a 32 ounce bottle a year ago and it is still over half full. Granted I only used it for a total of 15-18 evenings this year

I found that after some research and trimming and shaping of the wick. The lamp produced more light and less soot.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:54   #25

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Trawler Lamp over the saloon table, gimbaled reading lamps in vberth and aft cabin burning paraffin oil that doesn't seem to soot... I usually crack the hatch. The trawler lamp also provides relaxing light when I take it into the cockpit.
Old 08-11-2013, 16:04   #26

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lamp oil here in mexico is actually mineral oil. with and without citronella. i use citronella oil in my anchor lamp.
I have to try this and hope it does not smoke a lot, but first I need to make the lap form a few second hand store parts. I love our oil lamps and decided to make a couple small ones for the head and v-birth.
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 17:30   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Used to have a gimballed oil lamp below on a previous boat...quite nice. Have Alladin lamps at home...impressive bit of engineering. Very bright, but require more maintenance. Have never seen them on a boat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 17:35   #28

Boat: Ericon 381
My perfect night? Turn off the lights, light the oil lamp, put on the sounds of a thunderstorm and imagine everyone else died in the apocalypse.

www.AsISeaIt.com
McGinnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 17:40   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Managed to start a fire lighting a kero pressure lamp. My fault. Found that some synthetic materials used in pull overs burns a treat!

Lively 20 seconds or so.

Don't use it much, but it is bright and will provide some good heat.

Have a couple of little kero lamps I burn citronella in, just to keep the skeeters out. That works well.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 18:22   #30

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post
The above link has only one 1 7/8' base chimney, that is not suitable for the Perko lamp being too tall to swing on the gimbal.

Does anybody have a source for a Perko 1 7/8"base by 5" tall chimney?
I looked around for you, could only find it in 9-10 inches tall. Would 1 15/16 work?
Link--
1-7/8 INCH

I had trouble finding chimney replacements, what a pain!! Good luck

Tags
oil, oil lamp